Spinning Out | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Spinning Out

gkelly

Record Breaker
I am confused about Jenn's age. I thought they said she was 16 some time around episode 4 or 5. I know I've been confused the entire show how come she never gets asked for ID at the bar and that she and Kat are so close despite the age difference. And then the thing with the doctor. Are they the same age? Why did I think she was 16?

I thought Jenn was the same age as Kat, and Serena (the younger sister) is 16.

pearly

Record Breaker
I thought Jenn was the same age as Kat, and Serena (the younger sister) is 16.

That would make a lot more sense, but there was something specific that made me think Jenn was 16. However I don't know where exactly that was and I cannot sit through the show again.

ssffww

On the Ice
Thoughts until now (ep 3 maybe):

1. Wow, we have gotten old if January Jones (who I first saw in Love Actually) is playing mom to a 21 year old.
2. The town they live in has a population of 7000 people, yet the stands are full for the competition where she falls and hits her head. But hey, at least there were no spotlights.
3. Who over the age of 10 trains in a skirt?
4. Also, that's a ballet outfit she's wearing, not a skating one.
5. She nearly quit skating and won't jump anymore since her fall, but decides to skate pairs. Because that's less dangerous than jumping on your own?
6. The other pairs partner has all her triples, but struggles with the triple Toe. So our heroine decides to show the pairs guy she's the right partner by landing a 3T, even though she hasn't been jumping triples and is popping her doubles. Okay.
7. She has no coach, but still pays for ice time. Also, it's normal for a skater to just come to practice and play their music when they so desire.
8. The skating not done by doubles is decent, but still not close to good (crossovers, stroking etc) and we're pretending they're about to make nationals and Olympics.

That said, I agree with the OP - the show isn't very good, but it's watchable. I'm glad there's the whole mother-daughter relationship/mental illness/new coach & minor skater story as well because the skating part of the story isn't very realistic or well done. I wonder if doctors, laywers or police officers feel like this when they watch a show depicting their respective fields.

January Jones is 42, so she could certainly have a 21 year old daughter.

Orlov

Medalist

First, when the series was filmed she was 41 (42 years old she was only three days ago). But most problem is that the actress playing Kat Baker is 27 years old (and she looks 30+). Personally, I was very perplexed when watching in the first episode "What? Wait... is it kind of like mom and daughter? Or not? I don’t understand ... Maybe she is an aunt?.."

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have not seen “Spinning Out”, but I doubt that the inaccuracies would bother me that much.

I enjoy courtroom dramas even though most of the speechifying and action bears absolutely no resemblance to a real courtroom. And Spousal Unit, the classics professor, has no problem watching “sword and sandals” movies even though their relation to Ancient Rome or Greece is tenuous at best. ( A more realistic depiction of the ancient Western world was HBO’s series “Rome”.)

Since you asked :biggrin:

A friend of mine who’s an attorney absolutely can’t watch shows like SVU because he says the legal parts are “just too wrong.” I guess it depends on the person.

I give any new show about 10 minutes to grab me. There’s way too much really good writing, directing, acting to watch bad TV.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A friend of mine who’s an attorney absolutely can’t watch shows like SVU because he says the legal parts are “just too wrong.” I guess it depends on the person.

I give any new show about 10 minutes to grab me. There’s way too much really good writing, directing, acting to watch bad TV.

SVU wasn’t even that bad.:biggrin:

I am currently watching episodes of “Shark”, a legal drama that originally aired 15 years ago maybe? The legal parts are so bad, they make Spinning Out look like a documentary. But it’s entertaining, I just can’t let the fact that almost all the legal “action” has no basis in any law I know affect my estimation of the dramatic value of a show.

Suspension of reality can be a good thing:yes:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Anyone watching this? I'm fast forwarding through most of it. I find the bad language (totally unnecessary, in my opinion) too much to take and the acting, "meh". Johnny Weir has a minor part but you never see him skating. The skating is okay, but story line and personalities of skaters and their families, friends and coaches, over the top. I'm almost at the end, thank goodness. Worst show about figure skating I've ever watched.

:gaah:

pearly

Record Breaker

Exactly, and I first saw her in Love Actually, which came out in 2003. That was 16 years ago! Time flies. A comment unrelated to the series itself.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
In the series, almost no figure skating is shown. They are drinking, take pills (This serial just kind of pills-fest. No, I've certainly heard of the all-powerful pharm-industry in America, but dudes, come on :laugh:) having sex, being jealous, involved in family scandals, whatever, but not training.

I suppose that's because all contemporary TV shows, whatever genre and environment it is, it is in fact always only about "having sex, being jealous, involved in family scandals, whatever". :devil:

Ducky

On the Ice
I suppose that's because all contemporary TV shows, whatever genre and environment it is, it is in fact always only about "having sex, being jealous, involved in family scandals, whatever". :devil:

TBF you just described the plot of Anna Karenina.

light10

Rinkside
Ashley Wagner posted her take on the series on her instagram stories today, catch it before it expires! she said she even tried out for the main character.

Ashley also live-tweeted while watching the final episode. And the tweets/conversation even answers such important questions like why all these senior ladies have over boot tights ;)

https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010
Scroll down to her first tweet on Jan 5, then read upwards for the live blog effect (there's probably a better way to link to a twitter thread, I'm pretty twitter inept).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thoughts on "Spinning Out" - Netflix Drama Series

Oh Lord. This is awful. Do people really jog in the snow in...Idaho is it? Let alone force their kids to do push-ups? We go to the Y in the winter. If one has to be 16 to work girl is at least 16 and still taking tests? Is that a thing that happens when one is shooting for the Olympics? Post fail sex is probably a better choice than my post fail Ice cream binges, but blond kid is cuter. And pair boys with supposed Olympic talent are so common their parents pay their partners training expenses? And practicing at 5 am in a skirt with no coach? And laying on the ice, is that normal? If mom is on lithium her BPD is probably a lot worse than daughters. And they’re out at a bar doing shots after she was at the rink pre 5 am? Underage? Ok cute blond guy is potential pairs partner... I see where this is headed.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Oh Lord. This is awful. Do people really jog in the snow in...Idaho is it? Let alone force their kids to do push-ups? We go to the Y in the winter. If one has to be 16 to work girl is at least 16 and still taking tests? Is that a thing that happens when one is shooting for the Olympics? Post fail sex is probably a better choice than my post fail Ice cream binges, but blond kid is cuter. And pair boys with supposed Olympic talent are so common their parents pay their partners training expenses? And practicing at 5 am in a skirt with no coach? And laying on the ice, is that normal? If mom is on lithium her BPD is probably a lot worse than daughters. And they’re out at a bar doing shots after she was at the rink pre 5 am? Underage? Ok cute blond guy is potential pairs partner... I see where this is headed.

Just roll with it, Moonvine—I can assure you that the show gets even more ridiculous as it goes along! No spoilers...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thoughts on "Spinning Out" - Netflix Drama Series

Just roll with it, Moonvine—I can assure you that the show gets even more ridiculous as it goes along! No spoilers...

I think the cat is the best actor in the show. Honestly though mom does a reasonable representation of bipolar. Chris and Alexa they are not. They have drunk more in 2 episodes than I have in 5 years.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Yes, people jog in the snow in many places, including Idaho. Yes, if you're 16, you may still be taking certain skating tests. And yes many of us have been and are on the ice at 4 and 5 am training w/o a coach. Coaches aren't babysitters. And everytime one is on the ice training it is not always with coach.