Minimum TES raised for Ladies for 2020 Worlds | Golden Skate

Minimum TES raised for Ladies for 2020 Worlds

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ISU Communication No. 2302

In accordance with ISU Communication 2262, point 7, the ISU must inform the ISU Members at the latest 45 days prior to the entry deadline of the respective Championships if the announced required Minimum Total Elements Scores will be adjusted.

Based on the analysis of the current entries’ situation, the ISU Council has decided to increase the Minimum Total Elements Score for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020 for Ladies as follows:

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020

SP 2018/19 or 2019/20: from 29.00 to 30.00 and FS 2018/19 or 2019/20 from 49.00 to 51.00

The Minimum Total Elements Scores for the other disciplines (Pair Skating, Men, Ice Dance) remain unchanged as per ISU Communicaton 2262, point 7).

The required Minimum Total Elements Scores for the Short Program/Rhythm Dance and the Free Skating/Free Dance to participate in Senior ISU Championships (ISU European Figure Skating Championships, ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships and ISU World Figure Skating Championships) can only be obtained in Senior International Competitions.

The Minimum Total Elements Scores (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 39, paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 10 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or immediately preceding season in both segments, Short Program/Rhythm Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance (See ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair Skating Ice Dance, Rule 378, paragraph 3).

While the Minimum Total Elements Scores must be reached separately in each segment (not a total of the two segments), the Minimum Total Elements Scores for each segment may be reached at different competitions.

The Minimum Total Elements Score must be reached 21 (twenty-one) days before the first day (first official practice day) of the Championships concerned (same as entry deadline).

Last edited:

lost3iron

More Rock & Roll please!
On the Ice
Was the limit raised because many women got the TES minimum which means that more people were to participate in WC?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Lame. They shouldn't do this mid-season, when a lot of the opportunities to earn qualifying scores have passed.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lame. They shouldn't do this mid-season, when a lot of the opportunities to earn qualifying scores have passed.

I agree. This is terrible. Should only be able to raise once a year at the beginning of the season.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I feel for Dasa Grm, Valentina Matos, Julia Sauter and so on. Now they're suddenly under pressure to get these results at such a short notice.

I believe that skaters should know precisely what they need to aim for at the beginning of the season to be able to plan how many competitions to attend, what elements to include etc.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Other than Euros and 4CC what options are available to qualify?

Mentor Torun and EduSport Trophy, which are just about to start, and Bavarian Open and Dragon Trophy are the ones I can remember. Can anyone think of others?

pesto

On the Ice
Wow. It's really harsh to change the requirements this late in the season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
ISU Communication No. 2302

In accordance with ISU Communication 2262, point 7, the ISU must inform the ISU Members at the latest 45 days prior to the entry deadline of the respective Championships if the announced required Minimum Total Elements Scores will be adjusted.

Based on the analysis of the current entries’ situation, the ISU Council has decided to increase the Minimum Total Elements Score for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020 for Ladies as follows:

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020

SP 2018/19 or 2019/20: from 29.00 to 30.00 and FS 2018/19 or 2019/20 from 49.00 to 51.00

The Minimum Total Elements Scores for the other disciplines (Pair Skating, Men, Ice Dance) remain unchanged as per ISU Communicaton 2262, point 7).

The required Minimum Total Elements Scores for the Short Program/Rhythm Dance and the Free Skating/Free Dance to participate in Senior ISU Championships (ISU European Figure Skating Championships, ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships and ISU World Figure Skating Championships) can only be obtained in Senior International Competitions.

The Minimum Total Elements Scores (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 39, paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 10 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or immediately preceding season in both segments, Short Program/Rhythm Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance (See ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair Skating Ice Dance, Rule 378, paragraph 3).

While the Minimum Total Elements Scores must be reached separately in each segment (not a total of the two segments), the Minimum Total Elements Scores for each segment may be reached at different competitions.

The Minimum Total Elements Score must be reached 21 (twenty-one) days before the first day (first official practice day) of the Championships concerned (same as entry deadline).

Interestingly, using 2019 Worlds SP and FS for reference, 15/40 ladies skaters had SP TES that was under the minimum; 8/24 ladies skaters had FS TES that was under the new minimum.

Extrapolating, it projects that a third of ladies skaters don't do well enough at Worlds from a TES standpoint compared to the minimum they achieved to get there. That's a bit astonishing.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I put this in the TES minimums thread but thought it'd be a good idea to put it here as well.
These are the athletes I found that are no longer eligible (excluding retired skaters). in brackets is the minimum they are now missing

Sophia Schaller AUT (FS)
Emily Bausback CAN (SP)
Aurora Cotop CAN (SP)
Gerli Liinamae EST (SP)
Linnea Ceder FIN (SP, FS)
Kristen Spours GBR (SP)
Julia Lang HUN (SP, FS)
Sara Conti ITA (FS)
Hina Takeno JPN (FS)
Julia Sauter ROU (SP, FS)
Dasa Grm SLO (FS)
Valentina Matos ESP (SP)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very very unfair to move the goalposts in the middle of the game.

Not at all sporting or athletic. ::no:

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I agree that it's not very respectful to the athletes to change this mid-season. Is this common practice? :(

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I agree that it's not very respectful to the athletes to change this mid-season. Is this common practice? :(

I believe it's only been done once before, in the first year they were used, and in that case the minimums were lowered rather than increased, and across every discipline.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I believe it's only been done once before, in the first year they were used, and in that case the minimums were lowered rather than increased, and across every discipline.

For me, this is the only reason the change should be made on short notice. It's ridiculous when a skater has planned their whole season thinking they can earn a qualifying score then focus on nationals, Euros/4CC, etc. then find out they have to compete at some other event in the midst of the packed late season. Every federation who potentially has an affected athlete should appeal this.