Minimum TES raised for Ladies for 2020 Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Minimum TES raised for Ladies for 2020 Worlds

Amei

Record Breaker
While I agree with increasing the TES minimum, I don't think it's something that they should have done at this point in the season when most qualifying events have passed.

frida80

Record Breaker
I’m disgusted. Especially for smaller federations who don’t have a lot of funds to fly their athletes out mid season. For shame, ISU.

Nirti

Medalist
Given the fact that TES are calculated based on the top ladies' level it's logical that these TES increase... But why now and not at the end of the season?!? They were 40 ladies qualified to Worlds, same number as last year, probably less with the eventual injured skaters and not so many skaters in the situation to be not far from reaching these scores.

There are many competitions in Central Europa until Worlds, at least Dasa Grm or Julia Sauter will have the possibility to try it again. It will be more complicated to organize it for Canadian ladies.

Andrea82

Medalist
Mentor Torun and EduSport Trophy, which are just about to start, and Bavarian Open and Dragon Trophy are the ones I can remember. Can anyone think of others?

Mentor Torun
EduSport
Skate Helena (next week)
Reykjavik International Games (24-26 Jan)
Dragon Trophy & Tivoli Cup (1-2 Feb)
Bavarian Open
The Nordics Open (6-9 Feb)
Sofia Trophy (12-16 Feb)
Tallink Hotels Cup (12-16 Feb)
Jegvirag Cup (12-16 Feb)
Challenge Cup (20-23)

pesto

On the Ice
Not so easy for them to just go out and get the new minimums - I'm sure they haven't been deliberately keeping their TES low. And at the moment, their first priority is being in shape for Europeans / 4C, where they know they have qualified.

It seems that Dasa Grm, Julia Sauter and Valentina Matos are most affected, as the sole skaters from their countries who were eligible to compete. I hope they get their new minimums at Euros.

Coryocris

Praise our Little Bear
On the Ice
Country
Germany
Mentor Torun
EduSport
Skate Helena (next week)
Reykjavik International Games (24-26 Jan)
Dragon Trophy & Tivoli Cup (1-2 Feb)
Bavarian Open
The Nordics Open (6-9 Feb)
Sofia Trophy (12-16 Feb)
Tallink Hotels Cup (12-16 Feb)
Jegvirag Cup (12-16 Feb)
Challenge Cup (20-23)

Of those, Reykjavic has already closed entries, Bavarian Open will close them tomorrow. Dragon Trophy is the week after Euros, Bavaria& Nordics, during 4CC and the next 3, the week after 4CC. A major disaster, ISU, you should be proud [emoji122]

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Of those, Reykjavic has already closed entries, Bavarian Open will close them tomorrow. Dragon Trophy is the week after Euros, Bavaria& Nordics, during 4CC and the next 3, the week after 4CC. A major disaster, ISU, you should be proud [emoji122]

Given the circumstances, do you think that the organisers in Oberstdorf would be willing to accept late entries? Because, let's face it, not everybody affected will hear about this as quickly as we have. And at the end of the day, it is also in the organising club's interests if they get more skaters entering.

Totally agree that the ISU have made a total mess of handling this.

But, do we expect anything less from them...??? :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

Coryocris

Praise our Little Bear
On the Ice
Country
Germany
Given the circumstances, do you think that the organisers in Oberstdorf would be willing to accept late entries? Because, let's face it, not everybody affected will hear about this as quickly as we have. And at the end of the day, it is also in the organising club's interests if they get more skaters entering.

Totally agree that the ISU have made a total mess of handling this.

But, do we expect anything less from them...??? :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

Even if they allow late entries there is the issue of transport to consider, Obertsdorf is not close to Munich or other considerable international airports (Memmingen only hosts Ryanair). And a lot of skaters pay for their own expenses and are not state or fed funded
There is the issue that January and February are usually the months when colleges in Europe have their finals, so those who wanted to use the time between Euros/4CC and Worlds will have to reschedule or miss exams.

Orlov

Medalist
Very very unfair to move the goalposts in the middle of the game.

Not at all sporting or athletic. ::no:

What "game rule changes" are we talking about? What, do not the best athletes get to the world Cup now, but the worst? Did someone once give guarantees that the technical minimum for 2019 will be guaranteed to be accepted in 2020?

Everything is clear and natural - there is a limited number of places in the world Cup. The technical minimum is chosen in such a way that the number of skaters does not exceed this limit. Therefore, no one can guarantee that this year's minimum will be the same as before. However, it is clear that it can not change dramatically. That is, the minimum of previous years is a good guide for the value of this year. These are the rules of the game. And skaters of course know about it.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Everything is clear and natural -

No, it‘s absolutely not. When I first heard the news I thought it was a joke. Believe me, I‘m all for raising the minimum TES but if they do it they have to announce it at the beginning of the season, not in the middle of it.
That‘s just... I don‘t even have words. Sorry. There are so many athletes who specifically plan their layouts, the competitions they will attend during the season to earn these minimums. And now when they’re already thinking they have qualified fair and square, they‘re suddenly told they‘re not good enough anymore? I mean... come on. Either do it properly and make the requirements CLEAR from the beginning of the season, or don‘t do it at all. The way it is now (meaning: not informing athletes in time about the qualifications they will have to meet) is just plain unfair.

Ziotic

Medalist
Given the fact that TES are calculated based on the top ladies' level it's logical that these TES increase... But why now and not at the end of the season?!? They were 40 ladies qualified to Worlds, same number as last year, probably less with the eventual injured skaters and not so many skaters in the situation to be not far from reaching these scores.

There are many competitions in Central Europa until Worlds, at least Dasa Grm or Julia Sauter will have the possibility to try it again. It will be more complicated to organize it for Canadian ladies.

I don’t think it will *really* matter for Canada.

If Aurora is top 3, she goes to 4CC and has her chance to qualify. If Emma is top 3, she goes to 4CC and has a chance to qualify.

If neither do, then there are still 4 others; Gabby, Veronik, Alison and Alicia so that fills 2 entries plus two alt.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Even if they allow late entries there is the issue of transport to consider, Obertsdorf is not close to Munich or other considerable international airports (Memmingen only hosts Ryanair). And a lot of skaters pay for their own expenses and are not state or fed funded

Good point. I should have realised about the difficulties of getting to Oberstdorf being an issue, because I have been finding the same any time I have taken the notion of looking into going there.

There is the issue that January and February are usually the months when colleges in Europe have their finals, so those who wanted to use the time between Euros/4CC and Worlds will have to reschedule or miss exams.

And that is another very good point. Even though you know their ages, it is still very easy to forget that a lot of the skaters are still at school.

Oh well. I guess that is one less option.

It really is a mess, isn't it. If only the decision had been made and announced before Christmas (or even between Christmas and the New Year), it would have made all the difference. But a week into January is too late.

CaroLiza_fan

Coryocris

Praise our Little Bear
On the Ice
Country
Germany

Another potential complication is Aiza Mambekova, who already had it difficult at 4CC with the old TES but now with the increased TES and 4 competitions during or directly before and after 4CC is nearly impossible for her unless she is flawless. Kazakhstan might not be able to send any skater if Lilbet doesn't recover

Orlov

Medalist
No, it‘s absolutely not. When I first heard the news I thought it was a joke. Believe me, I‘m all for raising the minimum TES but if they do it they have to announce it at the beginning of the season, not in the middle of it.

How can they do that at the start of the season?? Are they soothsayers?

That‘s just... I don‘t even have words. Sorry. There are so many athletes who specifically plan their layouts, the competitions they will attend during the season to earn these minimums.

There is only one category of victims - those who had TES in the range of 49-51. They knew (unlike all of you) that the technical minimum is not guaranteed, that this range a risk zone. And who is to blame for not bothering to get out of this risk zone except themselves?

Fluture

Record Breaker
How can they do that at the start of the season?? Are they soothsayers?

I guess I don‘t understand your point. The ISU decides on the technical minimums. They choose when to change them. They don‘t need to be anything other than organized to literally not change requirements to compete when many qualifying competitions are already done. If they notice during the season that technical minimums are too low, that changes are needed - then they should keep that in mind and change the minimums for the next season. The way it is now is just, frankly, a mess and unfair to the athletes, even if it’s “only those that have technical scores below 50“. So, yes, those that aren’t in contention for medals. But that doesn‘t mean that they don‘t count, they want to compete as well and if they‘ve earned the minimus, they deserve to. Whether the technical minimus should be raised in the first place is a different argument altogether. But right now, the way the situation is being handled is borderline unprofessional.

Orlov

Medalist

And by the way, what prevents them from raising TES at the EC or 4CC? If they don’t get there, then they wouldn’t get to the WС and with the old TES.

Orlov

Medalist
I guess I don‘t understand your point. The ISU decides on the technical minimums. They choose when to change them. They don‘t need to be anything other than organized to literally not change requirements to compete when many qualifying competitions are already done. If they notice during the season that technical minimums are too low, that changes are needed - then they should keep that in mind and change the minimums for the next season. The way it is now is just, frankly, a mess and unfair to the athletes, even if it’s “only those that have technical scores below 50“. So, yes, those that aren’t in contention for medals. But that doesn‘t mean that they don‘t count, they want to compete as well and if they‘ve earned the minimus, they deserve to. Whether the technical minimus should be raised in the first place is a different argument altogether. But right now, the way the situation is being handled is borderline unprofessional.

What exactly can you answer for this
there is a limited number of places in the world Cup. The technical minimum is chosen in such a way that the number of skaters does not exceed this limit.

So at the this moment the skaters have such technical bests that with the old technical minimum there will be a lot of them at the WC. It happened according to the results of the first half of the season. What exactly do you propose to do ISU in such a situation?