Minimum TES raised for Ladies for 2020 Worlds | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Minimum TES raised for Ladies for 2020 Worlds

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope that all the ladies who have now fallen below the minimums somehow manage to get the new minimums in time and leave the ISU with egg on their faces and with exactly the same number of skaters they had to begin with.

That would be sweet.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I hope that all the ladies who have now fallen below the minimums somehow manage to get the new minimums in time and leave the ISU with egg on their faces and with exactly the same number of skaters they had to begin with.

That would be sweet.

Seconded. And maybe even one or two more who don't have the old minimums will manage to get the new ones.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

That would be sweet.

That would be perfect. If a few who didn't have the previous minimums and don't have other skaters able to compete for their federations are able to get them as well, so much the better...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think 45 days isn’t enough to enter and prepare for the extra competitions you’ll have to enter to get these minimums.

It's not, especially for athletes from countries that have Nationals (which you can't earn your minimum score at), 4CC/Euros, and Worlds within that timeframe. Furthermore, you can't even plan for additional competitions unless you place high enough at Nationals.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That blog post is fantastic. Really lays out how the last-minute raise upended training plans created a year in advance with even longer-term goals in mind - and that wouldn't just have happened for Dasa.

That would be perfect. If a few who didn't have the previous minimums and don't have other skaters able to compete for their federations are able to get them as well, so much the better...

Well, I got my wish in one case: stick it to 'em, Niki Wories!

Mawwerg

Final Flight
To be frank I don't see any problems with this ISU decision. They have a right to do it and they used their right. Also 51 TES isn't something very impressive.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
To be frank I don't see any problems with this ISU decision. They have a right to do it and they used their right. Also 51 TES isn't something very impressive.

It's not about being impressive?!? It's about skaters spending money and time and pushing their bodies to their limits because of a last-minute decision that was made in the middle of the competitive season, when skaters had already decided on their schedules for the year. Dasa really is just one example of this, I'm sure other skaters had their year upended because of this.

They are those that might never reach a podium, or even the final at Worlds, but they also have a career in skating, it's not just a game for them. ISU is the governing body not just for the competition, but also for the skaters under its umbrella.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I believe that the ISU should limit the amount that they can raise scores during the year, and announce those limits. It they had announced at the beginning of the year that the limits were 29 and 49, but they reserved the right to raise them by 1 (SP) and 2 (LP), at least skaters would know early that they are in the "danger zone" and plan accordingly.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
It's not about being impressive?!? It's about skaters spending money and time and pushing their bodies to their limits because of a last-minute decision that was made in the middle of the competitive season, when skaters had already decided on their schedules for the year. Dasa really is just one example of this, I'm sure other skaters had their year upended because of this.

They are those that might never reach a podium, or even the final at Worlds, but they also have a career in skating, it's not just a game for them. ISU is the governing body not just for the competition, but also for the skaters under its umbrella.

ISU must control number of entries. It's organizer's eternal pain.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why control the number of entries? There were 38 at the 2016 Worlds ladies sp, I was in the audience and I loved it. If you don't want to watch the first flight or two, then don't. There are 47 for the Junior Worlds, I will be getting up in the middle of the night to watch them all.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Why control the number of entries? There were 38 at the 2016 Worlds ladies sp, I was in the audience and I loved it. If you don't want to watch the first flight of two, then don't. There are 47 for the Junior Worlds, I will be getting up in the middle of the night to watch them all.

Because there are usually some time, money, space or law limitations. I don't know what particular reasons are behind this decision but I'm sure it wasn't taken just to show ISU's harmfullness.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I don’t agree with them raising the minimums mid season, but I wonder if the technical revolution this season is the reason why. Sasha broke the 100 point barrier - the minimum was raised to just over half of her technical score. Plus, Aliona broke the old 49 point LP minimum in the SP alone. Just some observations, and let me reiterate I do not agree with them changing it mid-season.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see no reason to limit the number of skaters at Worlds. What could it cost the ISU? They have already paid for the rink, the Zamboni guy gets overtime is going to make them or break them? Makes no sense:confused2:

It also says nothing about the prestige of the event to keep hard working skaters from (usually) small feds at home. Skaters who I enjoy watching, as much or more than the “top” skaters. Top skaters still gonna win, and “lesser” ranked skaters get the thrill of being at Worlds. And those who don’t enjoy them don’t have to watch. Everybody’s happy:)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don’t agree with them raising the minimums mid season, but I wonder if the technical revolution this season is the reason why. Sasha broke the 100 point barrier - the minimum was raised to just over half of her technical score. Plus, Aliona broke the old 49 point LP minimum in the SP alone. Just some observations, and let me reiterate I do not agree with them changing it mid-season.

I don't think it has anything to do with that at all. The people breaking 100 point barriers were always going to make the old minimums and come from countries with guaranteed entries. They have literally no effect on the size of the field. This was about reducing the number of small country skaters that go to Worlds, no ifs, buts or maybes.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
If there are no limits on the number of skaters, it would affect the competition scheduling, practice scheduling, and there would be additional expenses other than just the Zamboni driver.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I know there are a lot of costs when organizing a WC. I follow RG and the number one problem for the FIG is the length and cost of these competitions, but all of the changes in that sport are announced years in advance, not two months before the championship - even the five gymnasts per group rule to the Olympics was announced at the start of the last Olympic cycle, so all countries could prepare for it, to give an example.

I don't see a problem in making these changes, after all, there are a lot of things they have to consider that is alien to what happens on the ice, but as long as the athletes are competing, paying for their expenses and contributing to the sport in some way or another, they should have been the first to know about these changes, and in time so they could prepare for the season. A last-minute rule change like that just undermines the idea of representation at those competitions and makes it seem like all of those smaller feds don't matter. Or are any of the bigger countries in FS impacted in some way by that rule?

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I would also remind your people, that in small federations the spot maybe very valuable. They need not to be the top-10 skaters, people just want to watch and support skaters from their country and wish them to do the their best. It is not easy to get the sponsor funding, if nobody knows nothing about the skater, and the sponsor money is important for quite many that they can continue. It is easy to think that the pressure is different after you had got the spot and then loose it. And - there has always been surprises in big competions, are those bad or good, depends much on which country you come from or which skater is your favourite. It is fair to tell rules in the begining of the season and keep the goal the same. The selections inside some countries is another question of its own.

DenissVFan

Medalist
And Dasa is lucky to live in Europe as all last tournaments were in Europe. Can't even imagine how much it costs for others.

Indeed. These skaters don't have unlimited resources to go to so many competitions. Moreover, as Dasa said, it was exhausting, even though all competitions were in Europe. Not to mention that some skaters have to earn money on the side.