Ted Barton appreciation and recognition | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ted Barton appreciation and recognition

icybear

Medalist
One thing Ted never does is compare skaters. Something that the eurosport guy does, is that he constantly downgrades other skater by comparing them to other skaters because they're not as good in his opinion.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I actually have seen a snipe AKA Ted being harsh with a skater. One of the male pair skaters was being very rude and mean to his partner and Ted let him have it on the feed. Ted does not tolerate ungentlemanly behaviour and basically told him that he needed to grow up.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I actually have seen a snipe AKA Ted being harsh with a skater. One of the male pair skaters was being very rude and mean to his partner and Ted let him have it on the feed. Ted does not tolerate ungentlemanly behaviour and basically told him that he needed to grow up.

This guy must have really deserved it. We all know that in Pairs and Ice Dance it's the togetherness that is it, and if one makes a mistake...it's a given (to me) that neither is to blame. Even Aljona (not one of the most forgiving athletes) didn't blame Brumo for his mistake at the SP at the Olympics...she just stimulated them both to fight at the FS. And, guess what....also I remember Dmitrii comforting Alexandra for mistakes. She had fallen, but was it her fault (hate the word) or was it his. Best to accept you're both not at your best, and not blame anyone...support your partner. And if you want to blame? Try another discipline. Ted was so right here.

DenissVFan

Medalist
I remember when he said Tarakanova was skating to Believer in every competition that year but she never actually skated to it. I do believe he just reads the music off the sheet he is given, though.

Her bio wasn't updated. It stated "Believer" all that time.

wintersmith

Rinkside
One thing Ted never does is compare skaters. Something that the eurosport guy does, is that he constantly downgrades other skater by comparing them to other skaters because they're not as good in his opinion.

I've never noticed that. Eurosport may be analytical, but surely not disrespectful?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I got to see one Worlds on BBC, where the commentary was done by Robin Cousins and the usual "I don't know a thing about figure skating but I can read the facto tidbit cards my producer hands me" talking head. The only thing Cousins said during a performance was calling out the elements. He left his commentary for after the performance. And the comments were almost always insightful, a thoughtful analysis of both good AND bad points about a performance without any sugar coating.

I love Robin Cousins.

Ted has never heard an "up" sporting cliche that he not only embraces, but practically adopts as a member of his family. Positivity is great. But...and you knew there had to be a but...unfettered positivity is not only too much of a good thing, I don't believe it is actually helpful in the long run. I don't want an entire evening or afternoon of cliches posing as 'in depth analysis." They're all trying their hardest; I don't need to hear this after every performance with mistakes.

Uncle Dick Button could be super tough, even downright beeyutchy, but I learned far more from him BECAUSE he wasn't afraid to call a spade a spade. And without smothering his criticism in sugary cliches.

ETA: And a big cheer for Doris calling out skaters who don't update their bios. Sending basic program information so that it can be used during the season is hardly a full day's work. There is no excuse for not doing so. None.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Barton’s commentary is just the thing for me. I like his neutrality and I feel in it exactly the good will and the benefit of the doubt he offers every skater that he had described in his interview. I don’t expect myself to ever become an expert in figure skating, so for me viewing is a pleasurable experience and I don’t want it to be ruffled with any disproportionate praise or, god forbid, scorn and gossip. Like he said, trolls are dime a dozen and you can’t blink in our world without missing thousands of critiques of the things you personally love. I vote Ted Barton!

Scout

Final Flight
I want to jump in on this bandwagon!

I love, love, love that Ted lets me enjoy the programs in peace. And with so much negativity on social media, I appreciate that Ted's commentary is a bit of a "safe haven" in that respect. I don't need to worry about any bias or snippy remarks towards any skater.

Ted: thank you so much for all that you do for figure skating and its fans! I truly appreciate it!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I appreciate Ted's JGP commentary because to me it isn't commentary at all; it's teaching. Teaching the audience, and teaching the skaters (because as he's said, those kids look for their videos the second they get out of the kiss and cry). And he's not just teaching about skating, but about the process of competition, about professional conduct, and about how to be a decent, respectful, knowledgeable and kind audience member.

You can't teach someone successfully by denigrating them - whether a skater or audience member. So he doesn't.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
My unpopular opinion goes here ...

I am not a fan of him as he is extremely bland and boring to listen to, not creating any excitement or providing any info that I would not know beforehand. Moreover he butchers in extreme ways skaters names from non-Anglophonic countries. His nasal accent also is quite tiring. I like his interviews but other than that ... I don't care.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

They don't downgrade them as in degrading them or being offensive (like let's say Tara Lipinsky can be albeit rarely), comparing is normal and natural.

slider11

Medalist
I find Ted Barton to be extremely knowledgable and insightful. He is my favorite commentator! Canada is lucky to have him as is the international community.

dearskate

Rinkside
Country
Scotland
I love Ted's commentary and the fact that he is quiet during the performance. He is very respectful of all the skaters and gives good background information and insightful comments. Thanks you Ted! I loved the coverage of the Russian nationals - more please!

Cutting the ice

On the Ice
I have been watching on-line the novice and junior skaters at the Canadian Championships this week, with Ted Barton narrating. Yes, I really do appreciate that he doesn't speak during the programme but also that he does "critique" (not criticize) during the slow-mo replays. He is very knowledgable as a former figure skater and coach. Given that there have been lots of "challenged" skates over the last two days (as well as really good ones), his comments were frequently strongly analytical - what the skater did wrong, what he / she / they could change in the future to improve their success, how they have progressed during the last year or last months. But like all good coaches (and parents), he sandwiches his more negative comments between positive comments. I appreciate this because I learn (and likely the skater does as well when reviewing the video) and don't feel complicit in some sort of skater abuse. Yes, we are very fortunate here in Canada to have Ted.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Noticed Ted is slightly more 'pointy' and 'sharp' in commentating his home events, which is understandable since he know the domestic rinks, trainers and athletes much better than the JPG contestants.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted mentioned Tuesday night that he will be going back to Russia for the National Junior Figure Skating Championships, and that there will be a webcast as he did for the Seniors.

The problem is Russian Jrs are scheduled starting 2/4, which is the same time frame as 4CC.

Russian Jrs are being held in Saransk, which is 8 hours ahead of EST; 4CC in Seoul Korea is 14 hours ahead of EST. There's the dilemma---you can't watch both events live because that means no sleeping for a week.

cdimuzio68

Rinkside
Ted is one of my favorite commentators too. I appreciate his vast knowledge and always looking to find the positive in every skater, no matter the skating level. Most of all, love how he is quiet during the performance.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I always liked Ted Barton, sort of new him from my early figure skating days. I remember seeing him in competitions back in the day when Karen Magnusson and Toler Cranston were competitors. He skated at the North Shore Winter Club. Ted will be a great ambassador for figure skating.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I am also on the appreciative bandwagon. Not just because he picks his words with care and is supportive of all no matter the level, but also because of his element analyses and because he tries to make skating more accessible worldwide. The last is easily what I appreciate the most, as I don't think I'd ever watch Russian Nats with Tarasova's (?) commentary but watched when it was Ted who did the commenting.

He's probably the best commentator I have listened to so far, along with the two Spanish ladies (I don't speak Spanish at all, but they have very pleasant voices). What could still be improved is more explanations of the more obscure terms for a casual fan (like the B or V spin levels), and coming up with flattering adjectives other than 'strong' - I often watch with my mom who rolls her eyes or goes :gaah: whenever she hears yet another "strong" :biggrin:

That said, the :devil: streak in me appreciates an occasional blunt commentary, too. I still recall being highly amusd by Peter Krick doing the Alpen Trophy (I think it was?) commentary in 2018, and even my mom sometimes hopefully asks me if this or that stream will be covered by 'that mean elderly guy' :p An occasional change is good.

DenissVFan

Medalist
That said, the :devil: streak in me appreciates an occasional blunt commentary, too. I still recall being highly amusd by Peter Krick doing the Alpen Trophy (I think it was?) commentary in 2018, and even my mom sometimes hopefully asks me if this or that stream will be covered by 'that mean elderly guy' :p An occasional change is good.

Was he that guy who roasted skaters for claiming their occupation as "athlete" but putting too few hours of training time in their ISU bios?