2020 Youth Olympic Games recap | Golden Skate

2020 Youth Olympic Games recap

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, this part of the competition is over. Let's review the Short Programmes of the men and the pairs.

First of all, although the live stream in itself was fine, there was a bit of an issue with the sound. Chris could be heard well enough, but the music to which the athletes were skating was really too soft. It was a bit better with the men's but during the pairs I had to put my ear to my labtop to at least hear some of it. That was a pity.

And now for the skating. I'll start with the men. Sometimes I quite forgot I was looking at Juniors, other times it was pretty obvious. No matter. I am in love with cute, little Samsonov. He may have made a mistake with his axel, but he is absolutely phenomenal to watch. He's musical, he's got skating skills, just everything. Mozalev had a bit of an attack of nerves but pulled through. I've seen him do better, but he's deservedly in first place. But the difference with his teammate is small. Kagiyama fell into the boards (scary) but still managed to pull off a pretty good skate. He can do better too, but all in all, still pretty good. I loved the Canadian guy. I had never heard of Rakic before, but he's got the potential. Beautiful to watch, and I was pleased he had a good score. Cha also had quite a good skate, and is right behind the Canadian. Kokura was the surprise of the day, and in a positive way. I couldn't keep from grinning during his skate. This guy should become an actor one day. Great fun! Memola was the good looking Italian and had a pretty good skate too, while Mrazek from the Czech Republic also had a good showing. Hero of the event was the local guy, Bodenstein. Great performance, and you could see the Lambiel influence there. I felt bad for Levandi who definitely is courageous and knows his choreography. But the jumps didn't really work today.

Only 8 pairs! Panfilova/Rylov were the top of the field and in rather substantial fashion. To me they were the only ones who gave a bit of a senior feel, none of the others managed that. Mukhametzianova/Mironov were second but the distance between them was a lot bigger than I expected it to be beforehand. I loved Butaeva/Birulava from Georgia, expecially him. He's a star, she needs to catch up a little bit. The difference between the numbers 2 and 3 is small though, so it's going to be a fight for the bronze. Good to see a bit of North American rivalry here: the difference between the Americans and the Canadians is small. If McIntosh hadn't fallen, the score would be the other way round. Quite exciting. Wang and Huang looked like the typical Chinese pair - including problems with SBS jumps - but had a real classy showing. Errors cost them a lot of points though. The last two couples - from Ukraine and Germany - were really the kind of couples you generally associate with juniors: trying to do their elements but no real connection. Still quite alright to watch. I didn't get bored at all.

That's it for now. Hoping for other reviews.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I’m watching gentlemen right now, mostly worried about Kagiyama, Samsonov and Mozalev who compete every two weeks... and to keep fingers crossed for Mozalev who has me fangirling all season with that short program of his :) but I don’t know how the Russians even recovered from the Nationals. I really hope both of them have enough left in the tank for the free...

Hopefully Gogolev is just staying with Canadian Nationals, not injured... but Rakic looked stronger here than in JGP

Loved Cha, Kokura and Memola as well... and I can’t say I felt anyone else made me enjoy their performance.

I really miss the score charts and Barton—as a new fan, I am just not used to listening to the commentary during the skate calling out the elements & I don’t like it.

I will catch up on the pairs tomorrow!

madraykin

Rinkside
Hopefully Gogolev is just staying with Canadian Nationals, not injured... but Rakic looked stronger here than in JGP
Gogolev is injured according to Skate Canada - https://skatecanada.ca/2020/01/cana...canadian-tire-national-skating-championships/

Other notable national team members that will not be attending are ice dancers Laurence Fournier Beaudry, 27, Montreal, Que., and Nikolaj Sorensen, 30, Montreal, Que., pair team Camille Ruest, 26, Rimouski, Que, and Drew Wolfe, 25, Calgary, Alta, and Stephen Gogolev, 14, Toronto, Ont. All athletes had to withdraw due to injury but hope to compete later this season.

katymay

Medalist
Well, this part of the competition is over. Let's review the Short Programmes of the men and the pairs.

First of all, although the live stream in itself was fine, there was a bit of an issue with the sound. Chris could be heard well enough, but the music to which the athletes were skating was really too soft. It was a bit better with the men's but during the pairs I had to put my ear to my labtop to at least hear some of it. That was a pity.

And now for the skating. I'll start with the men. Sometimes I quite forgot I was looking at Juniors, other times it was pretty obvious. No matter. I am in love with cute, little Samsonov. He may have made a mistake with his axel, but he is absolutely phenomenal to watch. He's musical, he's got skating skills, just everything. Mozalev had a bit of an attack of nerves but pulled through. I've seen him do better, but he's deservedly in first place. But the difference with his teammate is small. Kagiyama fell into the boards (scary) but still managed to pull off a pretty good skate. He can do better too, but all in all, still pretty good. I loved the Canadian guy. I had never heard of Rakic before, but he's got the potential. Beautiful to watch, and I was pleased he had a good score. Cha also had quite a good skate, and is right behind the Canadian. Kokura was the surprise of the day, and in a positive way. I couldn't keep from grinning during his skate. This guy should become an actor one day. Great fun! Memola was the good looking Italian and had a pretty good skate too, while Mrazek from the Czech Republic also had a good showing. Hero of the event was the local guy, Bodenstein. Great performance, and you could see the Lambiel influence there. I felt bad for Levandi who definitely is courageous and knows his choreography. But the jumps didn't really work today.

Only 8 pairs! Panfilova/Rylov were the top of the field and in rather substantial fashion. To me they were the only ones who gave a bit of a senior feel, none of the others managed that. Mukhametzianova/Mironov were second but the distance between them was a lot bigger than I expected it to be beforehand. I loved Butaeva/Birulava from Georgia, expecially him. He's a star, she needs to catch up a little bit. The difference between the numbers 2 and 3 is small though, so it's going to be a fight for the bronze. Good to see a bit of North American rivalry here: the difference between the Americans and the Canadians is small. If McIntosh hadn't fallen, the score would be the other way round. Quite exciting. Wang and Huang looked like the typical Chinese pair - including problems with SBS jumps - but had a real classy showing. Errors cost them a lot of points though. The last two couples - from Ukraine and Germany - were really the kind of couples you generally associate with juniors: trying to do their elements but no real connection. Still quite alright to watch. I didn't get bored at all.

I suspect the lower volume music is done on purpose-to avoid the Google RIAA Copyright bots. Or perhaps it is even part of an agreement between the ISU and Google You Tube.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

micromegas

Rinkside

Programs*

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Programs*

:scratch2:

Not if you’re writing using British English;) Goldenskate is an English language forum, but American and British spellings (I’m drawing a blank if there are other standard English spellings)) are used.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Etymologically double m is more correct :biggrin:

Sounds like you would have liked spousal unit’s Roman History class where he traced the origin of father and piter and patronus in Sanskrit, Greek, Etruscan and who knows what all else. And somehow he actually tied that into the history of the Republic :laugh:

But please PM me if you would like to discuss word origins (which I love) as I personally do not want this excellent thread on the first day of the YOG derailed :)

Thank you Ladyjane for such a detailed report!:clap:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
There are indeed various spellings of English, and programme is the British way. I tend to stick to the British way of spelling. So, it's also favour instead of favor, organisation instead of organization, and so on for me.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Second day at YOG: Ice Dance RD and ladies SP

Hello everybody. On my way to a review of the Rhythm Dance in ID and the Short Programme of the ladies. This part of the competition was finished quite a few hours ago, so no spoilers. I hope everyone has watched now.

Some general remarks first. Although I'm not really in favour of comments during the skate (I'd rather listen to them during the slow motion high (or low) lights afterwards. yeah, I am a Ted Barton fan), I admit comments are very helpful when there is no Tec Box. Especially in Ice Dance where it's very difficult to see what are the distinguishing elements. I know my jumps, so it's less necessary for me to have them pointed out in singles, but still, usefull. Thank you Chris! Also for your positive comments, and the sorrow you feel for the skaters when programmes don't go as expected. I for one appreciate this. I'm getting into certain expressions too, 'clean as a whistle' for jumps and twizzles is a favourite.

The crowd is great, they're supportive of every skater, but they can be overwhelming to young skaters who have only competed in nearly empty rinks (except for their parents) before. It takes time to get to use the crowd energy to support you instead of letting the audience make you nervy. Not that I wish for a smaller or an - please no - unsupportive one, and I hope the experience helps the skaters in the long run. Some already know this, and can feed on the energy, especially the Russians (who, luckily, get that kind of majestic support back home), but it's difficult to handle for some. Just soak up the experience boys and girls!

Ladies
An exciting event, true, but am I the only one waiting for a Flip or Salchow jump? The weren't any (except for the accidental flutz maybe). I understand why the girls go for points, but I'm missing a bit of diversity (I recall getting overlutzd when Anna Sherbakova did four of them in her free skate) here. And what's going on with my favourite jump, the loop? Nearly all ladies put it into their programmes, but only a very few managed a clean one. Falls, step outs, and doubles were the order of the day. A pity. You, Ksenia and Anna were superb, although I personally like Anna much more than Ksenia this time. You was definitely the best, but I felt Anna was a bit underscored today. Still, I'm happy for her to be in medal contention after the JGP where she was only the alternate for the final. Mana was a powerful boost to the day (happy she's still in contention for a medal too), and Alina from Georgia and Alessia from Italy didn't disappoint either. The USA ladies were good too, if in the middle of the pack.

Ice Dance
I'm not really a good reviewer here. I can acknowledge that a Dance moves me, but my understanding of what is good in technical terms is hazy. I get it when a twizzle is too simple, out of sync and such, when a fall happens, but that's about it. Don't ask me about the pattern dance, key points and so on. I need a commentator for that (thanks again Chris). So here goes: although I think the Russian couples were the best, why is the best one (in my view) in second place? I really enjoyed Sofya and Alexander skate, while Irina and Dario only impressed me with their speed. With regard to the two Canadian pairs: it could have been any of them in prime position. They were both very good, and though I personally favoured Miku and Tyler the most - but that's got to do with her personality on the ice - I understand some others would favour Natalie and Bruce. Very, very close which is interesting. Loved having a good Japanese pair here (except for the silly fall), while the Americans also did a good job (another fall regrettably). Anna and Oleg from the Ukraine were a real joy to watch. So nice to see the Ukrainians picking up again!

Well, that's it for now. I'm sure I've forgotten to mention certain good skates, and feel free to correct me on that point.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The loop is the required jump for juniors this year, I think.

Oh my, that makes it even worse to be honest. I didn't realise that. I know the axel is required, as is a combination, but I didn't even know a specific solo jump was required. My fault here. Good that it was the loop. Still, it remains painful to see my favourite jump (I just love the loop, because it's a one leg take off and landing on the same leg) being so badly executed here...

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will freely admit my main interest in the YOG is the Ice Dance. I haven't watched the other disciplines.

And I have just one comment: Shingo, Please:pray:Stop. Falling.

You and Utana have soooooooo much potential. It must be fulfilled:yes:

Gourlie

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I was disappointed by relatively low score for Natalie and Bruce, but they got only one YES but seven NO for keypoints and low levels for their Pattern Dances so that's the reason.

Poor Utashin, they are so nice to watch but Shingo seems little hasty or overmotivated maybe.

I have to mention our Denisa and Vilém, who have made such a big progress since autumn and have improved their RD PB by nine points!

Good luck in FD, guys!