Bumpy Twizzle | Golden Skate

Bumpy Twizzle

iceskating21

On the Ice
My skater's twizzle was well known as "Bumpy". I watched for a long time and realized one thing. It looks like she did three "Three turns" quickly to make a circle. So when she pushes in the start of a "Three turn", she looks like bumping. But when others do it, their circles are smooth without the 3 pushing points. well, her coach only said she needs more practice to get it smooth. But i wonder whether this is the reason. Does a circle in twizzle consist of three "Three turns"? Or should she push hard once and finish whole circle?

Elija

On the Ice
A twizzle is in a straight line not a circle. Otherwise it is just a series of three turns.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My skater's twizzle was well known as "Bumpy". I watched for a long time and realized one thing. It looks like she did three "Three turns" quickly to make a circle. So when she pushes in the start of a "Three turn", she looks like bumping. But when others do it, their circles are smooth without the 3 pushing points. well, her coach only said she needs more practice to get it smooth. But i wonder whether this is the reason. Does a circle in twizzle consist of three "Three turns"? Or should she push hard once and finish whole circle?

Did whoever called her twizzles bumpy give you an idea of what they truly meant by "bumpy"?

Because when I hear that term I immediately think that she's not hitting the "sweet spot" on her blade in order to do the twizzle properly.

She needs to be hitting the spot right beneath the ball of her foot, otherwise she will be rocking back and forth on her blade and it will be "bumpy" looking.

Good luck!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
A twizzle is in a straight line not a circle. Otherwise it is just a series of three turns.

That is not true. Twizzles can and are done in circles, even in ice dance. The difference between twizzles and three turns is the bend in the knee. Twizzles do not bend and rise to turn, three turns do. That's the only difference in terms of getting counted. In terms of a good twizzle, they should have much faster rotation than a good series of three turns. It should either be on a locked leg or a obviously bent leg (or if you want a challenge going in between them without it affecting rhythm of twizzles and without using the bend and rise to turn e.g holding bend for 2 rotations then rise for 2 rotations). The free leg and arm positioning must be kept neat in good twizzle.

Now back to the question. Twizzles need to be practiced until the feeling is gotten. If you dont get the feeling you wont do good twizzles, and with trial and improvement at some point the feeling will "click" and they will be good twizzles.

Elija

On the Ice
That is not true. Twizzles can and are done in circles, even in ice dance. The difference between twizzles and three turns is the bend in the knee. Twizzles do not bend and rise to turn, three turns do. That's the only difference in terms of getting counted. In terms of a good twizzle, they should have much faster rotation than a good series of three turns. It should either be on a locked leg or a obviously bent leg (or if you want a challenge going in between them without it affecting rhythm of twizzles and without using the bend and rise to turn e.g holding bend for 2 rotations then rise for 2 rotations). The free leg and arm positioning must be kept neat in good twizzle.

Now back to the question. Twizzles need to be practiced until the feeling is gotten. If you dont get the feeling you wont do good twizzles, and with trial and improvement at some point the feeling will "click" and they will be good twizzles.

Yes, the difference is continuous motion. Of course twizzle sequences can move in circles but each individual twizzle is not circular. It would be pretty hard to make a proper curve if a twizzle was done properly as that would not be a continuous motion. My coach specifically teaches them on a hockey line in order to get people to do them straight. If you’re going in a circle each edge is probably held too long.

I was thinking the OP meant that each twizzle was moving in a circle, which would be incorrect, but maybe when they said circle they meant each turn or each double three if the skater is doing a series of double threes. Either way, it sounds like the skater needs to work not rocking as much.

OP I find these videos super helpful https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQX_6TjU3XM they break it down and show you exactly how the pattern should look.

iceskating21

On the Ice
Did whoever called her twizzles bumpy give you an idea of what they truly meant by "bumpy"?

Because when I hear that term I immediately think that she's not hitting the "sweet spot" on her blade in order to do the twizzle properly.

She needs to be hitting the spot right beneath the ball of her foot, otherwise she will be rocking back and forth on her blade and it will be "bumpy" looking.

Good luck!

Her coach used this word many times. Thanks for your tips!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

OP I find these videos super helpful https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQX_6TjU3XM they break it down and show you exactly how the pattern should look.

This is a great video! Thank you!