How to get over the first fears? | Golden Skate

How to get over the first fears?

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Hey everyone, so I have a question. Since I started getting into figure skating, I started to skate a little bit more myself and this winter in particular I decided I wanted to learn some more basic stuff so it would be more fun. I can glide and do forward crossovers well(working on the backward ones) but I just always have a little bit of a problem with doing stuff like three turns and mohwaks and even backward crossover sometimes. For changing directions I just can't seem to commit enough to do it the way it needs to because I get scared and I step out of backward crossovers a lot too. Does anyone have a rip on how I can actually follow through and not get into my head too much?

Nimyue

On the Ice
It might help to wear a helmet, wrist guards, and knee pads etc. There are also tailbone pads if you're worried about falling straight down. You're going to fall. No matter how good a skater is, we all fall. So if you're afraid of falling, maybe adding protective gear will take some of that fear away so that you know if you do fall, you're less likely to be hurt.

Seriously, I fall so many times a session lol. Once you get used to falling and learn how to fall to reduce injury, you stop worrying about it so much.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
It might help to wear a helmet, wrist guards, and knee pads etc. There are also tailbone pads if you're worried about falling straight down. You're going to fall. No matter how good a skater is, we all fall. So if you're afraid of falling, maybe adding protective gear will take some of that fear away so that you know if you do fall, you're less likely to be hurt.

Seriously, I fall so many times a session lol. Once you get used to falling and learn how to fall to reduce injury, you stop worrying about it so much.
Haha honestly, this might help. Maybe I just need to fall once at least so I'm less scared. It helped in other sports before

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Haha honestly, this might help. Maybe I just need to fall once at least so I'm less scared. It helped in other sports before

Yes, if you've never fallen, it becomes a bit of a problem in your head. Falling rarely results in an injury. And there are no sharks under the ice. :biggrin: Protective gear is also very useful to take away the fear of falling.

Ykai

On the Ice
I am a beginner too, and I wear my ski helmet :)

I don't know if it is just me, I actually feel more comfortable doing backward crossovers than forward ones. There are two things I found useful, first practice your back one foot glide on a circle, inside and outside, and the other thing is I feel more stable if I am in a sitting position with my upper body bending a little forward. You need to experiment a few positions so you will find one that you feel comfortable in.

I am struggling with my three turns too. My problem is I lose speed most of the time, and I don't even enter it with good speed .......

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Yes, if you've never fallen, it becomes a bit of a problem in your head. Falling rarely results in an injury. And there are no sharks under the ice. [emoji3] Protective gear is also very useful to take away the fear of falling.

Judging of the wet patches sometimes after cleaning on the public ice I wouldn't be too sure about the sharks though [emoji6]

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
I am a beginner too, and I wear my ski helmet :)

I don't know if it is just me, I actually feel more comfortable doing backward crossovers than forward ones. There are two things I found useful, first practice your back one foot glide on a circle, inside and outside, and the other thing is I feel more stable if I am in a sitting position with my upper body bending a little forward. You need to experiment a few positions so you will find one that you feel comfortable in.

I am struggling with my three turns too. My problem is I lose speed most of the time, and I don't even enter it with good speed .......
Yes, I think posture is a big thing too because I notice my knees are usually stiff but I just can't seem to get myself to bend them more, I honest to god don't know why. Interesting that you're better at backward crossovers than forward crossovers, I guess it really depends. [emoji23]

And my advice with the three turns, while I'm no expert at all, is that I practice them near a wall until I will one day be courageous enough to do them on a circle

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yes, I think posture is a big thing too because I notice my knees are usually stiff but I just can't seem to get myself to bend them more, I honest to god don't know why.

http://posturedirect.com

This site was/is of tremendous help for my problem of not being able to bend my knees no matter how hard I tried. I went from being told to bend my knees more 10+ times per lesson to maybe once every 5 thanks to Mr. Wong there plus lots of squats and stretching.

cl2

Final Flight
What is your general level of fitness? If you aren't already athletic, it will help to start a daily workout routine to strengthen your core and overall upper/lower body strength. Sometimes, holding a strong core could make the difference between falling and staying on your feet.