Your favorite moments of the season so far | Golden Skate

Your favorite moments of the season so far

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Hello, my favorite skating forum that starts with a G! I took a break from figure skating the first half of the season, but now that the ISU championships are just around the corner it's time for me to relive it vicariously through you! This thread is the place to post

-your favorite programs
-moments that made you cry
-moments that made you want to throw your remote through the TV
-best moments from your favorite skaters
-and, of course, your favorite drama* :devil:

Bonus points for small feds and lesser known skaters :agree: I'm happy to be back now, I missed you guys :ghug:

(*This is supposed to be a fun thread, so while Russian drama is always welcome :popcorn:.... let's leave the French stuff alone)

Holy Headband

On the Ice
I am not going to follow your rubric exactly, but I really enjoyed Lee Sihyeong's silver at the Riga JGP, Kazakova/Reviya and Sato Shun's gold medals at the JGPF, Kostornaia's GPF gold, Artur Danielian's SP performance at the Chelyabinsk JGP, Matvei Vetlugin's JGP appearance in Lake Placid, Kagiyama Yuma's YOG gold a few days ago and his Japanese Nats FS, Tarasova/Morozov's Russian Nats SP, Sakamoto Kaori's Matrix FS at one of her GPs (I forget which), Kihira's SP at her first GP, and Stepanova/Bukin's FD at Russian Nats.

My favourite scandal is Lecavalier testing positive for cocaine because Russian ladiezzz drama is so ubiquitous it's become white noise (much like unbelievable Trump news) and all the other drama is too serious to joke about.

Tanaka Azusa is a junior skater who didn't do anything that objectively impressive at the international stage but who nevertheless caught my eye, so I'll watch out for her in future seasons.

These are just some highlights that immediately come to mind, but there were many others as well.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hmm, while there are certainly many moments and programs and performances of this season that I enjoyed, there really hasn't been a standout one for me, which I believe is the intent of the thread.

I'm a tough judge. LOL!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
only one right now, because it's fresh in my mind:

Utana Yoshida and Shingo Nishiyama winning the team event Free Dance at the Youth Olympics.:yahoo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ijM0_tlhso

I'll think of more later, but I'm still glowing from Utashin:luv17:

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Hmm, while there are certainly many moments and programs and performances of this season that I enjoyed, there really hasn't been a standout one for me, which I believe is the intent of the thread.

I'm a tough judge. LOL!

Post a whole list! I plan on spending this weekend in bed with my laptop hiding from my responsibilities so the more recs the merrier :yay:

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
I am not going to follow your rubric exactly, but I really enjoyed Lee Sihyeong's silver at the Riga JGP, Kazakova/Reviya and Sato Shun's gold medals at the JGPF, Kostornaia's GPF gold, Artur Danielian's SP performance at the Chelyabinsk JGP, Matvei Vetlugin's JGP appearance in Lake Placid, Kagiyama Yuma's YOG gold a few days ago and all of his performances in general, Tarasova/Morozov's Russian Nats SP, Sakamoto Kaori's Matrix FS at one of her GPs (I forget which), Kihira's SP at her first GP, and Stepanova/Bukin's FD at Russian Nats.

My favourite scandal is Lecavalier testing positive for cocaine because Russian ladiezzz drama is so ubiquitous it's become white noise (much like unbelievable Trump news) and all the other drama is too serious to joke about.

Tanaka Azusa is a junior skater who didn't do anything that objectively impressive at the international stage but who nevertheless caught my eye, so I'll watch out for her in future seasons.

These are just some highlights that immediately come to mind, but there were many others as well.

only one right now, because it's fresh in my mind:

Utana Yoshida and Shingo Nishiyama winning the team event Free Dance at the Youth Olympics.:yahoo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ijM0_tlhso

I'll think of more later, but I'm still glowing from Utashin:luv17:

I don't normally watch Juniors, so I'm excited for these. It'll give me a place to start :thank:

Elaine

On the Ice
The first practice of Finlandia trophy, where Alyona Kostornaya revealed her 3A for the first time! (The insta clip from a few years ago excluded)
It was almost a dream come true moment for us Alyona fans, and also one of the key moments that completely changed the season prospect for ladies field.
l genuienely thought I was hallucinating when I first saw the clip lol.

Best performances : Alyona's Rusnats SP and Shoma's Japanese national SP!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma winning Japanese Nationals and seeing his joy (and his joyous hop) after skating a clean SP.
Seeing Nathan skate his Rocketman program and Jason's Schindler's List live at Skate America.
Meeting Kazuki Tomono.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kevin Aymoz's emotional reactions during the GP Series! :luv17:

Nathan's footwork during his Rocketman free skate

Shoma getting so much support from the fans in attendance

Chock & Bates' programs this season, ditto for Gilles & Poirier

Nam Nguyen - so back on track!

Keegan Messing - pouring his heart out on the ice for his wife (in his short program) & for his brother (in the free skate & exhibition)

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Okay, so as the replies are filled with happy moments I won't weep about my heartbreaks (there were many, too many) or seethe about my grievances (again, too many). Positivity it is. Here goes:

Favourite programs

*Ichat the maniac Korean fangirl area*
- I'm nothing if not biased, but I am very much in love with both my darling Junhwan's programs this season, maybe the free a wee bit more. Forgive me Shae-Lynn Bourne for I have sinned, I never should've been in doubt when it was known that he was working with you for the second time. When he was wearing that white lace shirt... (swoons)
- Time to hail the great Yeji Shin, the best Korean choreographer working today. My personal picks from her masterpieces this season: my beloved Seoyoung's Chinese Empress SP, Haein the little phoenix's Firedance FS, my homeboy Sihyeong's Max Richter SP, and Sunghoon the cactus's Sarabande Suite FS. (Sunghoon only did domestic competitions this season so most of y'all won't have seen his FS, but during his choreo sequence he does an Ina Bauer while forming a cross shape with his arms like this and my jaw literally dropped in awe when I first saw it)
- Yelim's Black Swan SP got a mega upgrade in the form of Her Royal Highness's adjustments, now I officially love it.
- Jihun's FS is beautiful, and by god her dress is magnificent.

*Ichat the not-nationally-biased maniac fangirl area*
- Yes, it's too pink and they're too young for the song, but I adore Sasha Boikova and Mitya Kozlovskii's My Way SP anyway. It lets them and their chemistry shine radiantly.
- Again, I have some gripes with the costumes, but I loved both programs for Zhenya Medvedeva this season. The FS a bit more because I am a sucker for traditional East Asian music done well.
- Alyona Kostornaia the Angel is simply exquisite with her SP. I still miss the junior dress though
- Artur is going to Euros with his fabulous Don Juan SP (squeals)
- It's a polarizing program, yes, and nobody actually digs his pink turtleneck, but man I love Kazuki's SP. O skating gods please let him skate it clean at 4CC, I'm going to be there live y'know
- I bought unicorns for Piper and Paul. If they got new costumes then I'll be tossing unicorns after that spellbinding Both Sides Now FD. If Paul still has those trousers I'll throw the unicorns for their Mack and Mabel RD. Yes, I have a lot of costume issues with the programs I love this season, don't ask me why.
- No issues whatsoever with the costumes: the suits for the Chinese Chaplin penguins. They're getting penguins. I'm debating on the swans, I enthusiastically dig their Swan Lake FD but my plushie list has grown a bit too long
- I don't adopt skaters easily, so it also says a lot about programs too when I do. The charming Utashin have two charming programs, their Don Quixote FD especially so.

*Just pure appreciation*
- Another program I'd like to see clean at 4CC: Peng/Jin's Cloud Atlas FS. Yes, they already skated it clean once, but why not a second time when it's that beautiful
- Also grey and beautiful: Jason Brown's Schindler's List FS. Jason is always a beautiful skater, but that program truly is art.
- Tarasova/Morozov's Bolero SP is splendid when done right (see: RusNats), rightly classical in all ways.
- Tanaka Keiji needs to get that pop shot and do his two very fun programs justice.
- Kevin Aymoz and Prince. Also a cartwheel as an ending. That SP can't be not good.
- The Aussies Kerry/Dodds have my unconditional support this season for doing Rocky Horror Picture Show. Time Warp for the win :yes:
- Lee Meng-Ju from Taiwan also has my unconditional support starting from last week, I was watching the Torun Cup and discovered he was using the Dovahkiin song from Skyrim for his FS :2thumbs:
- So Kaiya Ruiter is now the junior Canadian National champ, good for her. She's one charming young witch in her juniorish-in-the-right-way Goblet of Fire FS.
- Speaking of Canadian junior Nationals, I very much enjoy Bashynska/Beaumont's FD when And The Waltz Goes On begins, and they have some lovely lifts (and arm movements right on with the music). Pity she stumbled on the twizzles during the RD

... I'm sure I'm forgetting some, and this is getting long. Whoa.

Edit: Oh my god, I forgot the Disco Brits with their matching suits and Madonna, P/C's Fame with leg warmers and headbands, Reed/Ambrevicius with their Aurora FD (did they know Frozen 2 was featuring her, I wonder), Guignard/Fabbri with their Space Oddity (without David Bowie (sigh)) FD, and how did I forget to mention H/B's gala with Jean-Luc Baker as the best Odille ever

heartyxo

On the Ice
-Chock and Bates winning GPF silver with their genius FD after being doubted and underestimated by the entire community (seriously, imagine if they’d just retired after Pyeongchang like everyone wanted them to?)
-Alena defeating the quads and winning GPF gold.
-Anna winning RusNats even though she’s the “underdog” 3A.
-Kevin unexpectedly making GPF and winning bronze (+his crying is so pure).
-Papadakis/Cizeron having a great set of programs (first season I’ve really loved their programs).
-Gilles/Poirier winning SCI.
-Wakaba winning silver at nationals after a rollercoaster journey.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I am also rather new to Jr. Ice Dancing scene, but I definitely reccomend the aforementioned two teams, Kazakova & Reviya and Utashin. They are both exciting, original and the immediate star power, they are sure to capture your attention right away!
More on Jr. circuit - Andrei Kutovoy from Russia made a great JGP debut. He was only 13 in August when he made his only JGP appearance this season, but the quality of his skating and performance skill is well beyond his tender years. Remember his name!
Ivan Shmuratko from Ukraine. He may not be a quad machine, but he is one of the few who skates with something that comes from inside. The impact that makes on you is not unlike that of Kevin Aymoz.
Discovery of Ekaterina Kurakova, a young Russian now skating for Poland, and training at TCC. Her pure joy on the ice is utterly infectuous, with her innate charm - it's like a déjà-vu of the little Oksana Baiul in the early 90's.
In the Seniors - Truly emotional success of Kevin Aymoz in the GP, topped off by his podium finish in GPF. He is starting to blossom for real!
Artur Danielian's surprise 2nd place finish in the Russian Nationals, after a slow start in the SP. His FP is a true gem! I really hope he won't get too nervous next week in Graz, and be able to just soak in the atmosphere and have fun!
Shoma's incredible journey from Dancing on his own to rediscovering himself with the help of Stephane the great.
The totally original, mind blowing FD from Gabriella & Guillaume.
Exciting young Russian Pairs, though some ups and downs - looking forward to Boikova & Kozlovski seriously challenging Sui & Han in the near future.
I am sure I am forgetting some more but for now these are the ones popped into my head atm!

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Best moments (doing this on a separate post since my fave programs list is already long)

- Piper and Paul winning SCI, Piper yelling "WHAT?!!!!!?!!?!?!! NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD" was basically me.
- Kevin Aymoz's tears of joy, both when he got the GPF ticket and when he won a medal there.
- Kazuki's tears as he finished his redemption free at Japanese Nats
- Artur landing a 4S combo during the free at RusNats, and his smile as he finished his skate
- My darling Junhwan smiling as he finished a basically perfect skate at Nats (he stumbled a bit while getting to the ending choreo, he was tired, but I was there and his smile was from his heart)
- My beloved Seoyoung's tears as she finished a clean skate while still fighting against a back injury also at Nats, I cried with her (and was too heartbroken to weep later... but anyway)
- Mitya Kozlovskii doing the Kozlovskii Fistpump and Sasha Boikova doing her own fistpump as she ducked away from him :laugh: after their winning free at RusNats
- Young landing her 3A during her short at SC, I screamed at 4 am when she did it
- Haein jumping up and down after her marvelous FS at her second GP, which won her her second gold and her ticket to Torino
- Yeonjeong's face of shock and awe at her silver on her first JGP ever
- Sihyeong's grin as he got his silver medal on his last JGP circuit
- Wang/Liu with Beatrice's swan flower crowns on their heads
- This one is kinda bittersweet, but the smile on my darling squirtle's face after a clean short at the ranking comp. Oh darling...

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Best moments (doing this on a separate post since my fave programs list is already long)

- Piper and Paul winning SCI, Piper yelling "WHAT?!!!!!?!!?!?!! NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD" was basically me.
- Kevin Aymoz's tears of joy, both when he got the GPF ticket and when he won a medal there.
- Kazuki's tears as he finished his redemption free at Japanese Nats
- Artur landing a 4S combo during the free at RusNats, and his smile as he finished his skate
- My darling Junhwan smiling as he finished a basically perfect skate at Nats (he stumbled a bit while getting to the ending choreo, he was tired, but I was there and his smile was from his heart)
- My beloved Seoyoung's tears as she finished a clean skate while still fighting against a back injury also at Nats, I cried with her (and was too heartbroken to weep later... but anyway)
- Mitya Kozlovskii doing the Kozlovskii Fistpump and Sasha Boikova doing her own fistpump as she ducked away from him :laugh: after their winning free at RusNats
- Young landing her 3A during her short at SC, I screamed at 4 am when she did it
- Haein jumping up and down after her marvelous FS at her second GP, which won her her second gold and her ticket to Torino
- Yeonjeong's face of shock and awe at her silver on her first JGP ever
- Sihyeong's grin as he got his silver medal on his last JGP circuit
- Wang/Liu with Beatrice's swan flower crowns on their heads
- This one is kinda bittersweet, but the smile on my darling squirtle's face after a clean short at the ranking comp. Oh darling...

Oh how could I forget Kazuki's FS at the Nat., and him adorably clinging to Misha in the K&C!!!!! :luv17:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
My favorite moment was watching the Grand Prix Final, the ladies absolutely killed it, the Nathan and Yuzuru showdown was exciting. Ice Dance and Pairs were fine, It was a fun weekend. I also really enjoyed watching Gracie Gold on her comeback path so far, it's been an interesting season.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Post a whole list! I plan on spending this weekend in bed with my laptop hiding from my responsibilities so the more recs the merrier :yay:

Um ... did you say the more wrecks the merrier??? :laugh: Well, I have one that SA commentators found funny, when Kaori came really close to the judges with her skate during the FS. I didn't think it was funny; someone said did you see how the judges cringed back? Well, I would've cringed back with that razor-sharp blade coming toward my face, and I think anyone possessing sense or good reflexes would!

Drama .:eeking::drama:.. Seeing Ashley Cain-Gribble fall on the throw 3Lutz 3 times in a row, at SA and IdF. And :hap10: the 4th time, she overcame the 3-times-in-a-row demon, and landed it beautifully for the FS in France. It still wasn't a perfect skate, but just seeing the way that Ashley and Tim handled it, simply not allowing it to continue to be a roadblock in their minds, was very inspiring. Also, Ashley said in an interview after SA that Nina Mozer told them after what were very disappointing (if not disastrous) skates there, "It's going to be fine." That confirms what, according to remarks from some of her other skaters, is one of Mozer's strengths as a coach. She reassures her skaters. Evgenia Tarasova said she'll make a small correction that makes them feel all is well. Calm. What a great coach!

Bradie's skates at the GPF. I haven't even been her fan, but the way she went out and skated confidently and beautifully, with those competitors and their bigger base value numbers, was very inspiring. She showed such emotion and improved feeling for the music in both programs. She showed improved artistry and most of all, that it was her intention to improve her artistry. Bradie can count, and she knew as well as anyone that the numbers weren't in her favor, but she didn't let that intimidate her. :bow: Also, her SP at SA was thrilling because it was the first surprise, the first proof that she's seriously addressing connecting more with the audience and expressing the music.

Kostornaia's:love: GP skates, with the GPF ones feeling sublime.

Nathan Chen's FS to Rocket Man.:rock::dance3: The Skate America video is my favorite, because the camera angles show every bit of his expression. The GPF skate has more of his usual astonishing quads.

emipeters

Rinkside
This was just wonderful, thanks for posting it! it really does leave a glow...

Edited to add: this was meant to be a reply to El Henry!

Last edited:

dancelion21

On the Ice
Mariah Bell's Hallelujah program has been one of my favorites this season. The music is beautiful, and I think that she does a great job performing it. I loved watching it during the Grand Prix series. I'm looking forward to seeing it performed at Nationals.

Alysa Liu is the cutest little girl in the world, I really liked seeing her cleanly perform her short program at the Grand Prix Final. It's very appropriate to the type of skater she is right now, and her joy is infectious on the ice.

Both of Alyona Kostornaia's programs have been amazing this season. Obviously, her short program gets amazing scores for being beautiful, but her free program is really enjoyable too, and she gets to perform it in such a different way.

Medvedeva's performance at Rostelecom Cup was definitely one of my moments of the season. She came out and gave two amazing performances after a rough outing at Skate Canada. She proved that she's such a fighter and it was inspiring to see all the hard work she's put in pay off. Her performance at Russian Nationals further proved how strong she is as a fighter. She gritted out landings to all of her jumps, and it only made me more sure that Zhenya isn't retiring anytime soon.

Chock/Bates rhythm and free dance are both great. The free dance is the more unique and interesting program, and they do things so creatively. Crossing my fingers, but I hope it's enough for the national title.

I loved watching Nguyen/Kolesnik on the Junior scene. They carry themselves so well, and I think they have a great future in the sport.

Nathan Chen knocked it out of the park at the Grand Prix Final. He performed his program in both the short and free skate, and I'm left astounded at how he's able to do it all, a full-time student at Yale while also being the best figure skater in the world. He's superhuman.

Drama: I mean, the Russian shenanigans with Eteri, Plushenko, and TAT was funny and interesting. Medvedeva's boot situation was a very unfortunate but equally dramatic. Sinitsina/Katsalapov's scores at the Grand Prix Final was very reminiscent of the iconic Stationary Lift BASE!!??? at last year's 4CC, and almost just as dramatic.

Last edited:

vincerooo

Rinkside
- The rise of Kevin Aymoz (really hope he wins Euros)
- Alena Kostornaia's triple axel
- Shoma Uno actually smiling in competition at nationals, and rediscovering his love of skating
- Wakaba Higuchi making the world team!
- Yuma Kagiyama's reaction to winning YOG
- Yuhana Yokoi's fantastic set of programs