Your favorite moments of the season so far | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your favorite moments of the season so far

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I don’t know what my favorite performances or moments are (there are so many!!), but my favorite drama was hands down when Team Tutberidze called out their haters, including TAT and Plushenko. It was about time they did something about it. They needed to defend Alina against all the hate she was undeservedly receiving and they defended her very well. Also, to put a cherry on top the 3A took all the placements at Russian Nats. :devil:

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Y'all are amazing. I have a page and a half of college rule notebook paper filled with programs to watch this weekend, and I can't wait :thank: :ghug:

I'm so glad to hear Mariah, Wakaba, and Shouma are... you know, I'm not gonna jinx them. What do you think Mariah and Shouma's best performances are this season?

catjohnsn2

Spectator
Fave moments were Skate America.....Nathan's step sequence in his long and both of Bradie's programs.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I’m astonished that Daisuke Takahashi’s SP at Japanese Nationals has yet to be mentioned. Consider that omission rectified!

Batsuchan

Medalist
Since many of you have already covered the competitive highlights, I'll share some other moments that made me :luv17: and :laugh: -- all with the 3 A's (since I mostly follow the Russian ladies):

1) The ladies medal mix-up at IDF, which resulted in Mariah Bell presenting Aliona Kostornaia with the gold medal :laugh:
2) Trusova's random fall before the start of her SP at Rostelecom, and her trying really hard not to laugh at the start of her program :rofl:
3) Shcherbakova tripping on the carpet during the GPF medal ceremony and nearly falling into Trusova :biggrin:
4) All 3 A's enthusiastically eating their chocolate bouquets at the GPF medal ceremony while Eteri watched from the boards :rofl:
5) Epic Trusova/Kostornaia microphone/poking war :biggrin:

Most of them are in this video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6vtMdEJadX/ :love:

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
Not sure if it's been said but some of mine (that i can think of right now) are:

- Yuzuru Hanyu continuing to compete and push the sport forwards in ways that i think only he could. I just find it astonishing that at 25 he is still adding to the amount and variety of quads he is using in competition and technically advancing. I can't remember seeing someone his age do this, it's super inspiring. Him jumping the 4Lz again after two years, as well as competing with 5 quads was really fantastic to see. I can't stress it enough, but it's so heartening to see him overcome obstacle after obstacle, injury after injury, throughout his career.

- Also, Yuzuru being healthy for a whole grand prix series! Here's to the rest of the season turning out the same way u-u

- UtaShin and their joyous free skate that has made me really excited for ice dance again c:

- Peng and Jin's free at GPF.

- Seeing Young You grow as a skater and once again become more consistent.

- Yuzuru finally getting that Skate Canada title haha

- I'll end with me watching almost all competitions (including most junior ones!) for every discipline for the first time ever. I used to only follow Yuzuru, and therefore also the men, consistently while watching only particular events or skaters for other disciplines but there has just been somehting about this season that has made me really enjoy watching and engaging with the sport.

That's it for now! There are probably a lot more highlights but i just can't think of anything else at the moment.

HazyD

Rinkside
Hands down Papadakis and Cizeron's free dance at the Grand Prix Final. I was lucky enough to be there, and it was one of the most exquisite things I've ever seen. Not just in skating, but in my life. The entire place was spellbound -- even the chatty Cathys behind us shut the heck up. I forgot I was watching skating; it was simply a piece of art in motion. It literally brought tears to my eyes.

Aglae

On the Ice
Y'all are amazing. I have a page and a half of college rule notebook paper filled with programs to watch this weekend, and I can't wait :thank: :ghug:

I'm so glad to hear Mariah, Wakaba, and Shouma are... you know, I'm not gonna jinx them. What do you think Mariah and Shouma's best performances are this season?

Mariah -> Both SP and FS from IDF
Wakaba -> SP from Skate America, FS from JNats
Shoma -> both performances from JNats. Skip his IDF skates, they are the most heartbreaking skates of the season.

I am going to forget a lot of great skates but here is a list from the top of my mind.
In dance, I immensely enjoy P/C's new programs (SP from NHK, FS from GPF), and C/B's free dance. Kazakova/Reviya in juniors made a big impression on me, especially their free dance.
From the men, Kevin's ascension (both GPF programs), Han Yan at CoC, Keegan (SP from SkAm, FS from CoC), Keiji's programs are fun, I hope he can perform both cleanly at Worlds, Camden's SP at SC, Roman's FS at NHK, Yuzu's Skate Canada's skates and Nathan's GPF FS. Of course, Shoma's resurrection at JNats was amazing. In juniors, Kutovoy was really impressive artistically speaking. Too bad he only participated in one JGP.
From the ladies, Kaori's programs are my favourite this season (SP from SkAm, FS from IDF), Evgenia's are really nice too (Rostelecom programs), Alina's SP from GPF was one of her best performances (if not the best), Yuhana Yokoi's SP is fun and fresh, Satoko's EX is wonderful and everything that makes her special, Bradie's SP is cool too. In juniors, Alysa Liu and Ekaterina Kurakova are literal rays of sunshine.
From the pairs, P/J's FS from GPF was spellbounding, S/H's programs are great too. I really like T/M's SP (the RusNats version). Denney/Frazier's FS is full of joy (from SkAm)

SkateSkates

Medalist
Definitely waking up to the return of Aliona’s beautiful 3A during Finlandia practice!

And then a couple of months later waking up to practice footage of Liza’s 4T and Wakaba’s 3A.

Nadjell

Spectator
My favorite competition was probably Skate Canada... I practically loved everyone there
Shoma Uno's Great Spirit program even if he didn't deliver until last month
Evgenia Medvedeva at Rostelecom... she gained my respect there, I wasn't a big fan of Medvedeva before

Sad moments, practically my faves flopped at the GP series (Satoko, Kaori and Liza)
Elizabet Tursynbaeva injury

Elspeth

Rinkside
I enjoyed watching Roman Sadovsky opening his presents from NHK on camera haha. Also thought Trusova and Hanyu's sbs 4T was cute and wholesome.

Favourite drama, perhaps Rizzo and his facial expressions at nationals, or even the awkward SCI SP interaction between Brian Orser and Evgenia Medvedeva. Or Aymoz's musical mishap...there are so many things to choose from.

Best performance maybe Kostornaia's SP at Rusnats, though she's not my favourite skater.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As some of my favourite moments have been covered already (P/C's free dance, the first sight of the FAME! costumes, etc), I'm going to list a few of the smaller ones:

Reed/Ambrulevicius at Rostelecom: short and free.
Friend/Badaoui getting a massive PB in the short dance at Asian Open.
Noemie Bodenstein upsetting expectations at Swiss Nationals to grab the silver medal.
Nicole Schott winning bronze at Nebelhorn.
Darian Kaptich (post-haircut :cry: ) getting bronze at Australian Nationals (no video for this one, sorry).
Fear/Gibson debuting their Vogue free dance at Autumn Classic International.
Keegan Messing's lovely SP at Canadian Nationals just last night.

I'll add more later if I come up with any. :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Watching Gracie's Comeback and the THRILL from the Russian Ladies. Love them.

gotoschool

Medalist
Rika Kihira's SP at Skate Canada and her LP at NHK and Nationals for the sophistication of her artistry, combined with technical excellence, and wonderful musicality and skating skills.

Young You- I was surprised to discover how much I enjoyed her skating skills, massive rink coverage, beautiful and powerful jumps, expression and how she really plunged into her elements with my favorites being the ones at Skate Canada and then appropriately based on her name the ones at the Youth Olympics. I guess this was a bit of a back to the future moment because afterwards it dawned on me when watching her old performances that she was the really "young" skater who was I was impressed with who won Korean Nationals in 2015 / 2016. I was also surprised to realize that I "think" she is the tallest woman to ever land a triple axel in competition at 165 cm.

Another favorite and surprising moment was realizing that both Rika Kihira and Young You were coached by Mie Hamada.

Haein Lee's beautiful expression, grace, musicality and consistency in many of her SP and LP performances were some other favorite and surprising moments.

Miriam090

Rinkside
I'll start with my favourite moments:

Lilah and Lewis winning the bronze medal at their first GP this year!
Tarasova and Morozov's short program at Russian Nationals
Kazakova and Reviya winning the JGPF
Mishina and Galliamov getting on the podium at the GPF
Hase and Seegert being on the podium at Rostelecom
Boikova and Kozlovskii's whole season tbh
Sinitsina and Katsalapov's exhibition at nationals
Dima winning Rostelecom and getting to GPF

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well I have a new one: Piper and Paul's CanaHair Mishap at Nationals. Tracy Wilson trying to be Super Professional about it and finally unable to contain the giggles. Carol Lane bounding into the K&C after and velcroing her head to Paul's shirt.

They turned an unfortunate and frankly bizarre mishap into a moment I'll never forget.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Darian Kaptich (post-haircut :cry: ) getting bronze at Australian Nationals (no video for this one, sorry).

Darian cut his hair???? NOOOOOOO:sad4::sad4::sad4:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Sorry for any repeats (I'm sure)!

Kevin Amoz, Kevin Amoz....short and long. The only skater to be able to do Lighthouse justice after Aljona and Bruno (big fan of them).
Fame! I love Gabrielle and Guillaume's rhythm dance. Love their Free Dance too, but ....Fame!
Alexandra and Dmitrii's My way. I know many won't agree, but I adore the pink.
Evgenia and Vladimir's Bolero (especially at Russian Nats). That is a programme!

Ahem...having a Dutch pair team at Euros for the first time since 1996....

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Nam Nguyen at Skate Canada. Honestly, I don't think anything else in the season can top it (Maybe Kevin Aymoz at GPF). But it was just UNBELIEVABLE that Nam came out and just made Yuzuru frickin Hanyu into his warmup act.