2020 Youth Olympic Games recap | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2020 Youth Olympic Games recap

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I guess it’s like other team competitions, everyone skates, and get points depending on the placement, then summ them up to see who won.

What I am getting from wiki, it is an older tradition rekindled at Youth Olympics after a hundred or so years of oblivion. It’s probably like Team Europe in Japan Open. Kinda neat, fosters international cooperation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-NOCs_at_the_Youth_Olympics

It looks like they had the number of teams = the number of pairs, then pulled straws.

I wonder if they will get the skaters to do a visual art project, like at wtt...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I wish I did. Except for the first selection.. see some earlier posts. But how the draws work? No. I see that beloved Young You is not in there. All the pairs are of course (only 8 teams in total, so they're all in), and there's skaters and couples from Ice Dancing as well. But the draw itself? No. Just what I said earlier: there will be 3 from the first 5 of men, 3 from the second 5 of men, and 2 from the last 5. With ladies it's the other way round: 3 from the last 6, 3 from the middle 5 and 2 from the first 5 (but if I get this wrong: please correct me). In Ice Dance there's two from every group of 4.....

Yeah, it is supposed to foster international cooperation...and it will.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Team 2 and 5 look more balanced than others... though who knows. It’s going to be an odd exercise. I am not sure how the junior nationals are scheduled for other countries, but all the Russians will be in Saransk fighting for JW spots on February the 4th.... if I were Sinitsina, I’d not invest a lot of heart into this one... and, like, Canadian is... right now?

Weathergal

Medalist
I guess it’s like other team competitions, everyone skates, and get points depending on the placement, then summ them up to see who won.

What I am getting from wiki, it is an older tradition rekindled at Youth Olympics after a hundred or so years of oblivion. It’s probably like Team Europe in Japan Open. Kinda neat, fosters international cooperation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed-NOCs_at_the_Youth_Olympics

It looks like they had the number of teams = the number of pairs, then pulled straws.

I wonder if they will get the skaters to do a visual art project, like at wtt...

I wish I did. Except for the first selection.. see some earlier posts. But how the draws work? No. I see that beloved Young You is not in there. All the pairs are of course (only 8 teams in total, so they're all in), and there's skaters and couples from Ice Dancing as well. But the draw itself? No. Just what I said earlier: there will be 3 from the first 5 of men, 3 from the second 5 of men, and 2 from the last 5. With ladies it's the other way round: 3 from the last 6, 3 from the middle 5 and 2 from the first 5 (but if I get this wrong: please correct me). In Ice Dance there's two from every group of 4.....

Yeah, it is supposed to fostor international cooperation...and it will.

Thanks for the info!

icetug

Medalist
Pretty underwhelming competitions so far. Apart from the obvious favourites, many contestants didn't seem up to the task in all disciplines.
Don't know if YOG in this state and form serves any purpose. If IOC wants their to elevate their YOG to the same prestige as a mini Word Championships, something needs to be done.

who knows if any of these skaters will ever go to a 'proper' Olympics...

And who knows how many of JWC participants will ever go to OG? It's always a big question mark, especially for the couples, both in pairs and ice dance.

Looking through the results of YOG in 2012, 4 men and 3 ladies became "proper" olympians (out of 16 skaters in both categories). In 2016 respectively 3 and 5 (though some of the participants switched to seniors just recently and I hope to see them at OG). Only one pair (Duskova/Bidar, 2016) took part in OG (and split afterwords :( ) and none of dance couples (but some of them are still together and are still very promising, so hope to see them at OG).

BUT when we look through the results of JWC in those years (2012–2018), there is exactly the same tendency: only one fourth or even one fifth skaters went to OG. Usually even medals at JWC didn't guarantee OG in future. In ONE case all 1-5 placed ladies became olympians (in 2012). It didn't happen in men division.
From participants of 2012-2018 JWC there are THREE pairs having skated together till OG (Tarasova/Morozov, Sui/Han, Duskova/Bidar) and FIVE ice dance couples (Papadakis/Cizeron, Shtork/Rand, Mansourova/Ceska, Kaliszek/Spodyriev, Lauriault/Le Gac). Eight - out of a hundred or more - altogether.

So if you question YOG, why not JWC? It's obvious that only some of the participants will be Olympians and only a part of them will be elite senior skaters.

On the other hand, YOG is not taken as a very serious competition, but more like an occasion to meet other people, make friends and (especially in team competition) have fun. Probably when "big" federations (other than Japanese) start to send their best eligible skaters it's more prestigious (and much less fun ;)).

Gourlie

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
This is the method how the skaters were sorted into the teams.

Team 1
Group 1, placed 1st to 5th in Men Single Skating
Group 3, placed 12th to 16th in Women Single Skating
Group 2, placed 4th to 6th in Pair Skating
Group 1, placed 1st to 4th in Ice Dance

Team 2
Group 2, placed 6th to 11th in Men Single Skating
Group 2, placed 6th to 11th in Women Single Skating
Group 1, placed 1st to 3rd in Pair Skating
Group 3, placed 9th to 12th in Ice Dance

Team 3
Group 3, placed 12th to 15th in Men Single Skating
Group 1, placed 1st to 5th in Women Single Skating
Group 2, placed 5th to 8th in Ice Dance

Team 4

Team 5
Group 3, placed 9th to 12th in Ice Dance

Team 6
Group 3, placed 12th to 15th in Men Single Skating
Group 1, placed 1st to 5th in Women Single Skating

Team 7
Group 3, placed 7th to 8th in Pair Skating

Team 8
Group 3, placed 7th to 8th in Pair Skating

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I see results published for ice dance... trying not to get spoiled yet, but good job, dancers!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Mixed Team event at YOG

Yay! I love a mixed team event. I want more!

Okay, more seriously, sorry for being so late with my review. My excuse? Having an attack of Migraine on the day itself. So, I didn't get to watch until today, as migraines and watching anything on screen don't mix.

But, I've watched it now - belatedly, and here's my review. I'll be doing it in order, so my apologies if you haven't watched the event yet. I realise there will be spoilers.

Gold was for team Courage. Starting with the Japanese Dance team, who were superb. I'm not sure they really were better than the Russian team, but they surely were very good. Best was the joy in skating. It's not often you see that kind of enjoyment, but Utana and Shingo nailed it. The Georgian Pair were third again in their discipline, and I'm still waiting for Philippe to turn up. He didn't, alas. They had the best lady on the team, Ksenia, and she delivered. With a fall regrettably, but still quite okay. Arlet Levandi felt so free today, so he skated well. Only 7th, but his skate was so much beter than at the individual event. Good for them.

Silver was for team Focus. Second in Dance which I thought was a bit doubtful (much as I love the Japanese dancers). Being second is none too shabby, the Japanese were fabulous, but I can understand their slight disappointment. Slight, because they still got a good score. The Americans in pairs did better - not perfect but no scary fall on the lift - than at the individual event. As did Kate Wang. Hurrah for this little girl, she skated so much better than in the individual event. Yuma Kagiyama won again, but he did have 3 falls. His Golden individual skate really was better - in fact despite the joyfulness and the speed, I would have had Andrei Mozalev first here. Didn't happen, and Focus was deservedly second.

Bronze was for team Vision...winning with a tiebreaker as team Determination had the same number of points. Natalie and Bruce finally got their medal. Yay! Their dance was a joy to watch, and they really helped the team effort here. The Ukranian Pair team were also a joy. Tired at the end, but they did well. Regina, alas, made a few mistakes and didn't score that high, but Andrei made up for that. He did really well. I would have had him higher today than Yuma but he was second again. Still, that eventually got them the medal!

Some other points regarding non medalists.
Panfilova/Rylov won the Pairs part but not a medal on the whole event (Team Discovery). They - again - had such great pair elements. Alas, their team mates couldn't reach that high.
Alessia was third in the ladies event, and she was really good. Looking like a woman on the ice, not like a teenager. Hurrah for her.
Cha was joyful again (I do love his skating, such fun). I wish Kokura could have done his SP, but that's not part of the game. Liam (US) skated really well today, his programme was really good, especially the choreography.
Poor Anna. She was lucky the judges liked her, because I would have had Alessia in front of ther. But then, I'm not a judge, and I really like Anna a lot too. But it wasn't her day. Nella from Finland really did well. Not enough to make her team medal, but so much better than in the individual event. Hurrah!

Last but not least: this kind of event is so positive, supportive, and joyful for everyone. Sure, some were really tired after the individual events. But on the whole, it must have been a wonderful experience.

So, going back to my start: I want more mixed team events!

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you for taking the time to write up reports from YOG - I enjoyed reading them!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It was nice to see the encore of the free skates, though everyone looked pretty tired. I loved the lady from Finland, and was happy to see Wang really upbeat... and Panfilova/Rylov are starting to look like they can skate it in their sleep... �� though a bit worried for M/M...

Hugs to Mozalev and lots of well wishing.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course I am going to be a broken record about this every chance I get, but so happy for my charming babies Utashin:yes2:

I also think this event is a great idea. As someone who roots for skaters, not countries, not coaches, not rinks, I think it's a wonderful idea to have skaters paired randomly.:hap10:

Never heard of the YOG before, but I'll be keeping my eyes open now :)

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
I loved this event a lot and while the spirirt of it and mixing teams do not really fit into the vibe of the "real" olympics i do think it was a better fit to have the team event after all of the individual competitions. It gave certain skaters a nice air of revenge as they took the ice. I wish they would change it for any games in the future tbh.

Elspeth

Rinkside
I loved this event a lot and while the spirirt of it and mixing teams do not really fit into the vibe of the "real" olympics i do think it was a better fit to have the team event after all of the individual competitions. It gave certain skaters a nice air of revenge as they took the ice. I wish they would change it for any games in the future tbh.

I really hope they put the team event after the individual events in Beijing. I know they won't, but it would be so much better.