Messing gives heartfelt performance to take the lead in Mississauga | Golden Skate

Messing gives heartfelt performance to take the lead in Mississauga

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan Messing landed on the top of the heap following the Men's Short Program on Friday night with 92.66 points to position himself to win his first national championship with a near-clean skate. The 2018 Olympian performed a heartfelt routine set to "Perfect" by Ed Sheeran and managed an exceptional quadruple toe-triple toe and triple Axel, but pitched forward and put his hands down on the triple Lutz. In the program dedicated to his new wife, Messing also demonstrated excellent positions on the flying change foot camel spin, an exuberant footwork sequence and a fast closing combination spin.

"The feel of the program, just the feeling of being married and being able to take that feeling of love and put it out on the ice... Lance Vipond, he did such an amazing job being able to take that emotion and give me something to skate to that I can, in every step, feel the emotion of, the connection I have with my wife," said Messing. "I gotta say, it's the first time that I will be skating in my single career that I don't feel alone on the ice. It's like she's right there skating with me and I never want to get rid of this program because of that. It's one of the best feelings I have from competing."

More...

How did your favorites do in the Men's SP? Disappointments? Surprises?

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I was happy how Keegan was able to hone in his speed in his spins and his overall skating to a manageable level and work with the music. I felt earlier in the year he was just a tornado going all over the ice with this nice piece of music. He's really settled into it now.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was thrilled for Keegan. What a wonderful short program he skated. It was Perfect!

heartyxo

On the Ice
He did great! I love both him and Nam so I'm going to be both happy and sad no matter who goes to worlds :laugh:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I am overjoyed :luv17: With everything he went through this season, he so deserves the title. And I must insist... anyone who wouldn't be affected by his genuine, overflowing, sweet, wholesome charm is simply not human. :love:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Keegan never fails to impress with this short programme, and it was so moving. Time for a little smile with that small error on the triple lutz, and then on with the flow. Nam also did well, and I really enjoy the friendship (and rivalry) between these two guys. I'm rooting for both, but it would really be something if Keegan gets himself a first title. And Roman...Yay! It's going to be a real fight tomorrow. Another exciting competition!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Keegan's edges are just so sublime and so deep sometimes I think he's going to wipe himself out. His spins are incredible and I cannot give him enough props for managing to hold himself together and continue to compete this year after all his tragedy. I hope he gets out a clean free skate today!!

Kerston

Rinkside
Kegan Performance was good but nothing extraordinary. He stand out because the field is weak. There is nothing heartfelt about that performance, people only refer to it as heartfelt because his brother died and his skating to a sappy love song.
Nam Good but bland. He is so basic no star quality at all. when you look at the top skaters like Hanyu, Nathan, Shoma, Javi heck even Mikhail something about them makes you excited which Nam lacks.
Sadovsky Forgettable, inconsistent and downright boring.
Conrad I have so much hope for this boy, but my gosh he is so bad at skating. Doesn't he train with Team Cricket? Then why the heck he's so bad. Stiff as a board. On a positive note he is handsome, he would do well as a model.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thrilled for Keegan! Hope he skates lights out in the free skate. Also pulling for Nam! How I wish Canada had 2 spots for Worlds!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Kegan Performance was good but nothing extraordinary. He stand out because the field is weak. There is nothing heartfelt about that performance, people only refer to it as heartfelt because his brother died and his skating to a sappy love song.
Nam Good but bland. He is so basic no star quality at all. when you look at the top skaters like Hanyu, Nathan, Shoma, Javi heck even Mikhail something about them makes you excited which Nam lacks.
Conrad I have so much hope for this boy, but my gosh he is so bad at skating. Doesn't he train with Team Cricket? Then why the heck he's so bad. Stiff as a board. On a positive note he is handsome, he would do well as a model.

wow, your epic positivity just blows me away, @kerston

Znowflake

On the Ice
Thrilled for Keegan! Hope he skates lights out in the free skate. Also pulling for Nam! How I wish Canada had 2 spots for Worlds!

So happy for Keegan! I really like them both tooo!! It is sad that both canā€™t go to Worlds.. hope they both skate their lights off and may the best skate of the night win ;).

icybear

Medalist
The TSN commentators were trying so hard to create a non existent drama rivalry between the top 2 skaters. It was quite pitiful the way they tried so hard to conjure one up to appeal the rather flat competition to the general viewers

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What an excellent showdown between the two leaders. Like everyone else, thrilled for Keegan.:hap85:
Also happy for Bennet Toman in the top ten, he caught my eye this summer, a lyrical skater.

And that quote from Keegan about not skating alone:sad21:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs Lincoln?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The TSN commentators were trying so hard to create a non existent drama rivalry between the top 2 skaters. It was quite pitiful the way they tried so hard to conjure one up to appeal the rather flat competition to the general viewers

I don't hold that against them. Everybody has their hustle.

They're speaking to the masses, not the steady longterm fans.

We're not thinking about the rivalry-that's-not-really-a-rivalry-because-they're-such-good-friends.

What we're thinking: You guys have done the near impossible. You've dragged the proud legacy of Canadian men to the point that you now have only one spot at the World Championships, and based on what we've seen, that's not likely to change.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan brought the house down with this program (and received a much-deserved standing ovation) at Sk Amer. I can see how the program has improved since then. It seemed even more heartfelt and soulful here. Nice job! Kudos to him for having the strength to carry on in spite of difficult circumstances.

Roo87

Medalist

You say the field is weak, but 2/3 of the top men have Grand Prix medals this season, so they're obviously competitive internationally. I guess the international field is weak?

lzxnl

Final Flight
You say the field is weak, but 2/3 of the top men have Grand Prix medals this season, so they're obviously competitive internationally. I guess the international field is weak?

Given that most of the field has a SB of 50+ points below those of Yuzuru and Nathan, one could well argue that.