Gilles and Porier strike gold | Golden Skate

Gilles and Porier strike gold

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier finally clinched their first Canadian national title in Mississauga with an ethereal free dance to “Both Sides Now” by Joni Mitchell. With six level four elements woven by whimsical choreography and poignant musicality, the 2019 Skate Canada International champions scored 136.76 for a total competition score of 225.62.

“Going first into the free dance is not something we are used to,” said Poirier. “We are usually the ones chasing, so that was a new experience for us.”

More...

What are your thoughts on the Free Dance overall?

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Piper and Paul are always a joy to watch, and this time especially. As the commentator said: a bit tight in the beginning but after that it was just beautiful and you were surprised when it ended. I just wanted it to go on... Marjorie and Zachary were also fabulous. I know there were some errors (almost falls) but it was spectacular and they seemed to have such fun with it all. It's a pity Carolan and Shane did not do so well, even if it was enough for Bronze. This team had a lot of promise in 2018, but somehow they're not really improving on that. Nice to see Haley and Nikolas redeem themselves after their not so great RD. Not enough for a medal mahap, but still great. I really enjoyed this competition.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Awesome ice dance competition, as Tracy said this is really a competition. There were so many great teams, Canada is ice dance team rich. So happy for Piper and Paul and I absolutely love Marjorie and Zachary. I love their West Side story Rhythm dance. Looking forward to seeing them all again.

noskates

Record Breaker
Piper and Paul are a refreshing change from the mostly hackneyed dance teams. They always bring something new and exciting to the ice. Congratulations. It's about time!