Emily Bausback: 'The best feeling I have ever had' | Golden Skate

Emily Bausback: 'The best feeling I have ever had'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skating to music from the Titanic, Emily Bausback toppled the old guard of Canadian ladies skating to win the national title. With five triples, including a double Axel-triple toe combination, Bausback earned 116.64 points for a total score of 175.54.

“I was thinking, ‘Just stay in the moment and take one thing at a time’ and finish all my movements and ‘soak it all in and seize the moment,'” she said about her performance.

Skating early in the final flight, Bausback had to wait for the remainder of the flight to realize her victory.

“There were a million emotions going through my body and a million thoughts and I was just watching people and I was just thinking after every jump they were doing,” said the 17-year-old from Vancouver. “I was thinking, ‘This could be it’, ‘I could win this’ and ‘This could be my title. Seeing all their scores come up and seeing my score still at the top, it was an incredible feeling. The best feeling I have ever had.”

More...

Surprises all around in this event! What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
A lot has already been said about the ladies event at Canadians. Coming from a country where we are happy to even have one spot at Worlds because a lady has attained the minimum TES, and I still like to watch the ladies at work in competitions, I tried to watch this competition on its own merits and forget about all the stuff about spots. That said, of course I was very, very sorry for Gabby, but in itself it wasn't a bad or boring competition. It's fun to see ladies come back from behind, it's fun to see nicely executed programmes (even if technically not at the highest standard), and it's also fun just to see happiness when someone has done well. As stated above: surprises all around, and that really can be rather nice.

Canada has nearly always had great pairs, ID teams and men (although in a bit of a low at the moment, but there was a stellar skate in the men's competition, so hopefully on the rise again), while the level in ladies has generally been fluctuating through the years. With of course some great highs as well, including quite recently. But for now, to me this competition was not depressing, just a question of building up again. And with some nice programmes too.

Scout

Final Flight
^^^ What an interesting contrast to Roman's experience, where he described it as bittersweet.

Congratulations to Emily, Alison and Madeline, who made the most out of the opportunity presented to them. I did not think Madeline would be on the podium, but I did think she would do well, because she seemed hungry and motivated and having momentum on her side after the Challenge. She wanted international assignments and I think had the right mindset of going for it, with nothing to lose.

I really wish Mallet could have seized the opportunity, as she was overlooked for a Worlds spot last year in favour of Gabby, and this year was a great opportunity for her. Too bad she was also well too aware of that. I think that the opportunity to compete at a Worlds is what is driving her to keep competing (just a guess on my part). I hope she keeps going for another year or two and gives her new major coaching change an opportunity to have an effect.

I hope [Veronik Mallet] keeps going for another year or two and gives her new major coaching change an opportunity to have an effect.

It makes me a little sad that skaters don't feel proud of being the best at their sport in their country. These national competitions should be meaningful all by themselves, never mind going on to World's, Galaxy's and Universe's.

Scout

Final Flight
It makes me a little sad that skaters don't feel proud of being the best at their sport in their country. These national competitions should be meaningful all by themselves, never mind going on to World's, Galaxy's and Universe's.

Well, I don't know Veronik, but I would think she is proud of everything she's accomplished. She always seems to have a good head on her shoulders (in terms of attitude, not nerves) and takes her results in stride. But like many athletes, I think she has goals that she strives to accomplish. And one of those goals is making a Worlds team (based on some comments she made when she finished in third place last year and Canada had three spots). I am biased though...as a sentimental favourite of mine, I was rooting for her to get that opportunity this year.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

Our skaters are very proud about being the best at their sport in Canada, they're just a little more humble about it. Of course, Hockey stars take the front newspaper spots here, so FS champions get a little left out of the limelight, but they know the FS fans love them and soon they become household names.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
A lot has already been said about the ladies event at Canadians. Coming from a country where we are happy to even have one spot at Worlds because a lady has attained the minimum TES, and I still like to watch the ladies at work in competitions, I tried to watch this competition on its own merits and forget about all the stuff about spots. That said, of course I was very, very sorry for Gabby, but in itself it wasn't a bad or boring competition. It's fun to see ladies come back from behind, it's fun to see nicely executed programmes (even if technically not at the highest standard), and it's also fun just to see happiness when someone has done well. As stated above: surprises all around, and that really can be rather nice.

Canada has nearly always had great pairs, ID teams and men (although in a bit of a low at the moment, but there was a stellar skate in the men's competition, so hopefully on the rise again), while the level in ladies has generally been fluctuating through the years. With of course some great highs as well, including quite recently. But for now, to me this competition was not depressing, just a question of building up again. And with some nice programmes too.

Don't forget about the past greats Barbara Ann Scott, and Petra Burka and Karen Magnusson. All three women were World and Olympic champions as well as Canadian National champions

withwings

On the Ice
^^^ What an interesting contrast to Roman's experience, where he described it as bittersweet.

Congratulations to Emily, Alison and Madeline, who made the most out of the opportunity presented to them. I did not think Madeline would be on the podium, but I did think she would do well, because she seemed hungry and motivated and having momentum on her side after the Challenge. She wanted international assignments and I think had the right mindset of going for it, with nothing to lose.

I really wish Mallet could have seized the opportunity, as she was overlooked for a Worlds spot last year in favour of Gabby, and this year was a great opportunity for her. Too bad she was also well too aware of that. I think that the opportunity to compete at a Worlds is what is driving her to keep competing (just a guess on my part). I hope she keeps going for another year or two and gives her new major coaching change an opportunity to have an effect.

Totally agree. Without any shadow on her coaches, imho Mallet truly needs a coaching change. She successfully graduated" her present coaching team and needs
a new, more challenging one. Though, taking into consideration her recent injuries...perhaps it is too late for this step (?).

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Totally agree. Without any shadow on her coaches, imho Mallet truly needs a coaching change. She successfully graduated" her present coaching team and needs
a new, more challenging one. Though, taking into consideration her recent injuries...perhaps it is too late for this step (?).

She literally just changed coaches a few months ago (to Bruno Marcotte from her long-time coach Annie Barabe). It will take her some time to adjust. See the following article for more details: https://lenord-cotier.com/veronik-mallet-prend-une-decision-importante-pour-sa-carriere/

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You're right that it's a contrast. But Roman's context puts a completely different spin on it, when he explained that it was because he was waiting to see what the placement was, experiencing hope and happiness for himself while also wanting his friends to do well.

I wasn't very happy about that phrase being the headline for Roman's triumphant win at Canadian championships. That program is, to me, sort of "once-in-a-lifetime." And I wanted him to feel the triumph of his skate! oh well. maybe having it "sink in" will make him enjoy it all the more.