Roman Sadovsky: 'It's sort of bittersweet' | Golden Skate

Roman Sadovsky: 'It's sort of bittersweet'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In a spectacular shake up, Roman Sadovsky played the ultimate dark horse by winning gold and upsetting the presumed championship battle between Nam Nguyen and Keegan Messing. The 2019 NHK Trophy bronze medalist landed two quadruple Salchows, one in sequence with a triple Salchow, as well as three other clean triples during his sublime interpretation of Schindler’s List and “Bells of Moscow”. He earned a score of 175.55 for a total competition score of 260.57.

“I definitely wanted it really badly,” he said of the title and the sole trip to the World Championships. “That was definitely in the back of my head as one of my goals. After the skates in my short and long, I wasn’t sure if it would be enough. That’s why I probably had a lack of a reaction at the end, because I was just sort of clueless if it was enough and I guess I am happy that it was.”

More...

What are your thoughts on the Men's event? Were you surprised with the outcome? Share your thoughts!

Last edited:

SmallAminal

On the Ice
He had a great free skate - I thought after he finished that he had a shot at gold. There were definitely a lot of surprised people in the stands when Nam didn't come out on top, but Roman deserved it. I am happy for him - I think this is his time.

I was kind of hoping Nick Nadeau would break through for a medal, but no dice. I like that he went with Depeche Mode for music but I thought there were way too many cuts/songs crammed into one program.

Overall, it seemed like a lot of competitors were nervous and it reflected in the mistakes. I was so happy for Matt Markell though - he had an amazing free skate as well, even though he wasn't in any position to win a medal. Its nice when you see skaters really rise to the occasion, whether they medal or not.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
He had a great free skate - I thought after he finished that he had a shot at gold. There were definitely a lot of surprised people in the stands when Nam didn't come out on top, but Roman deserved it. I am happy for him - I think this is his time.

I was kind of hoping Nick Nadeau would break through for a medal, but no dice. I like that he went with Depeche Mode for music but I thought there were way too many cuts/songs crammed into one program.

Overall, it seemed like a lot of competitors were nervous and it reflected in the mistakes. I was so happy for Matt Markell though - he had an amazing free skate as well, even though he wasn't in any position to win a medal. Its nice when you see skaters really rise to the occasion, whether they medal or not.

I was rooting for Nic for at least bronze, his program is fine, he's had it for a few seasons.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Fantastic skate by Roman! I wouldn’t call him a dark horse since he won an NHK bronze and Nam and Keegan are inconsistent. I am glad he broke through though because I feel he has the potential to be much better internationally than either of them. I have no issue with Sadovsky going to get the World spot when Nam and Keegan’s placements cost team Canada a spot.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
As we Dutchies would say "when two dogs fight over a bone, it is the third who will run away with it". Not that I would seriously compare Roman, Nam and Keegan to dogs (although I like dogs, and it would be fun to think of a breed which fits each of them), but the expression is rather apt in this case. I had expected Roman to medal after the Short, but not that he would put out such a stellar outing. A pity he made an error on my favourite jump, the (triple) loop, but on the whole it was really very good. Well done Roman. Even more impressive than at NHK, and what great skating. What to say about Keegan and Nam? Well, first of all they are such rivals that they both had two falls, and their final standings were really close. Secondly that their wish to skate for the home crowd at Worlds must have gotten to them, although Nam denied this was the case during the programme itself.

I hope to see all three of them at 4CC, but surely it will be Roman who gets the gig at Worlds? Edit: I will get to see them there, but who gets the gig presumably is undecided.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fantastic skate by Roman! I wouldn’t call him a dark horse since he won an NHK bronze and Nam and Keegan are inconsistent. I am glad he broke through though because I feel he has the potential to be much better internationally than either of them. I have no issue with Sadovsky going to get the World spot when Nam and Keegan’s placements cost team Canada a spot.

This is a good comment.

Those of us who follow the sport more closely certainly had him on our short list as a potential champion.

I'm not sure why the folks in the stands seemed so surprised. Roman skated pretty well. Nam and Keegan skated poorly.

I place a fair chunk of the blame on the television commentators, one of whom seemed far more invested in human interest storylines (The "Bromance") rather than an honest analysis of the sport.

I guess the general public is interested in this twaddle, but real fans were certainly open to the possibility that neither of the Bros would win.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is a good comment.

Those of us who follow the sport more closely certainly had him on our short list as a potential champion.

I'm not sure why the folks in the stands seemed so surprised. Roman skated pretty well. Nam and Keegan skated poorly.

I place a fair chunk of the blame on the television commentators, one of whom seemed far more invested in human interest storylines (The "Bromance") rather than an honest analysis of the sport.

I guess the general public is interested in this twaddle, but real fans were certainly open to the possibility that neither of the Bros would win.

Oh my god, Rod Black’s incessant mentioning of their bromance was beyond ridiculous. I get that they do fluff and stuff for Nationals and of course it’s beautiful that Nam supported Keegan this year but they basically overshadowed any accomplishments or achievements. Even the final “video essay” of Rod’s (though I get it was right after the men’s FS) didn’t have any mentioning of Sadovsky - which they could have thrown in after he was 3rd after the SP and slated to medal. Part of me is kinda glad Roman stole the show because it became no longer the Nam/Keegan show but rather also about getting a champion who showed up in both segments. I could almost see Tracy biting her lip as Rod continually said how astonishing it was that Roman won... I mean not really. His skating quality is strong and he’s been landing his jumps and had momentum from NHK.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my god, Rod Black’s incessant mentioning of their bromance was beyond ridiculous. I get that they do fluff and stuff for Nationals and of course it’s beautiful that Nam supported Keegan this year but they basically overshadowed any accomplishments or achievements. Even the final “video essay” of Rod’s (though I get it was right after the men’s FS) didn’t have any mentioning of Sadovsky - which they could have thrown in after he was 3rd after the SP and slated to medal. Part of me is kinda glad Roman stole the show because it became no longer the Nam/Keegan show but rather also about getting a champion who showed up in both segments. I could almost see Tracy biting her lip as Rod continually said how astonishing it was that Roman won... I mean not really. His skating quality is strong and he’s been landing his jumps and had momentum from NHK.

I've been waiting for the next great Canadian man to be internationally relevant. I don't know if it will be Roman or not, but I think he's got a better shot than either of the Bros.

I certainly sympathize with Keegan and the personal upheaval this year. Perhaps this will serve as a wake-up call for him, he'll have time to rest and recover, and come back renewed next season.

As for Nam, I think people saw more into his Skate Canada performance than was merited. If you look at his two-year record, that good international performance was the fluke, not this disappointing skate at Nationals.

Perhaps it's because they have similar LP music and theme this year, but Roman gives me some of the qualities I enjoy in Jason Brown... but with much better jumps. I hope this will give him increased confidence going forward. We won't have long to wait to find out.

Shoma isn't going to 4CC, and I doubt Nathan will either. USFSA will probably send Vincent, provided he skates semi-well at US Nats, because he needs the competition ice. Yuzu will be there (last I heard), but otherwise the podium is there for the taking.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Not to mention that Roman and Nam are pretty good friends, too!

Roman was always a top 2 pick for me. Nam's meltdown was somewhat surprising but Keegan has never been the greatest competitor and with his off ice struggles I couldn't see him putting it together here.

Did Roman intend a 3Lz+3T instead of 3Lz+2T? It seems like that would be the easiest way to grab a few more points with his current layout.

TontoK said:
As for Nam, I think people saw more into his Skate Canada performance than was merited. If you look at his two-year record, ...

I think that is just human nature, both for the athlete and for the fans. If he is capable of skating like that one time, then he is capable of skating like that every time. (Just like my golf swing. I hit an acceptable shot about once in a hundred, so why can't I be on the tour?)

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Shoma isn't going to 4CC, and I doubt Nathan will either. USFSA will probably send Vincent, provided he skates semi-well at US Nats, because he needs the competition ice. Yuzu will be there (last I heard), but otherwise the podium is there for the taking.
The list is out, all 3 will be going to 4CC.
https://twitter.com/BluecosmosH/status/1218896524664430592?s=19

One addition in terms of 4CC podium potentials - Boyang Jin will be at 4CC.

SmallAminal

On the Ice

People can get pretty anchored to their expectations - Nam was last year's national champ, he was ahead of Roman after the short, etc. Of course the media hype was really around Nam/Keegan. I was not surprised after Roman had a good skate (a few of us said out loud that he could take it) but then I am a skating mom vs. many of the people in the stands might be more generic "fans" without as much understanding of the way the sport and judging works. I've also seen him around locally and have an idea of what he is capable of. As you say, some of us were open to the possibility that neither Nam nor Keegan would take it.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
I've been a Roman fan for a few years now so I cannot even put into words how excited I was and still am! He deserved this gold so much and he worked hard for it. Granted, his landings are still a little wonky (not surprising after the intense growth spurt he went through - he is 184 cm now :eek:) but he is such a quality skater - his skating skills and spins are remarkable. The last spin in his FS made my jaw drop - astonishing! And so rare among men in the quad-era.
HUGE congratulations to Roman and fingers crossed he'll get that worlds spot that he deserves :clap:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been a Roman Sadovsky enthusiast for a couple of years now. I even predicted he'd win gold here ... which made me either a crazy, an intuitive, or a believer! :)

I think his technique is gorgeous and his quad salchow is supreme, so smooth. And it was wonderful to see him complete so well what he's capable of. But what makes his skating sublime for me is his expression. He feels the music in his bones and in his soul. His eyes and his movement express the emotions. His skating is just so beautiful. The choice of music is perfect for him. It's also well balanced, putting the classical Bells of Moscow together with Schindler's List.

There's a great "screen shot" moment at the end of his skate. Number One: he HOLDS his ending position. So important, especially with this musical choice. It's like he's embracing the world. And then, among the many people standing, one woman throws her arms out in a movement to match his.

Well done, Roman and congratulations!