Brand New Ideas for Programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brand New Ideas for Programs

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
- Rent programs should've been aplenty when the RD requirement was musicals. It wasn't. I demand a Rent program.
I would also love to see a Rent program!

Also, on the topic of obscure musicals, Jekyll & Hyde may not have been the most successful musical but it has some epic music: This Is the Moment (maybe for Mens), Bring On the Men (for a Senior Lady, the last thing I'd want was for this to become the new 'Big Spender' in the Juniors), Someone Like You (for Dance, although you might have to mix it with another song to have a change of pace).

- Baroque pieces, e.g. Handel's oratorios, would be great if done right.
Definitely!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
*squawks and covers ears* nope, that is just one of the many CDs Australian choreographers need to lose. That, and that darned "Alice" from one of the Tim Burton movies.

I don't think I've ever seen that Mamas and Papas song performed on ice. I thought it was something new and original.

Do you have a link to the performances you've mentioned? I'd like to see if they match up with the program in my mind.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would also love to see a Rent program!

Also, on the topic of obscure musicals, Jekyll & Hyde may not have been the most successful musical but it has some epic music: This Is the Moment (maybe for Mens), Bring On the Men (for a Senior Lady, the last thing I'd want was for this to become the new 'Big Spender' in the Juniors), Someone Like You (for Dance, although you might have to mix it with another song to have a change of pace).

Definitely!

Paul Wylie used "This is the Moment" from J&H back in 1992.

He has also skated to Why God Why from Miss Saigon and then did an exh program with Nancy Kerrigan (his then training mate) to Last night of the world from the same soundtrack.

ETA: Polina Edmunds did an exh at 2016 Nationals to a cover of California Dreamin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVq4_meelo

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker

To add to IceRabbit's reference, at least two male skaters have used Jekyll & Hyde recently: Sota Yamamoto from Japan in 2017-18 and Andrew (or his brother?) Dodds from Australia in 2018-19, but only the former's version is on Youtube.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*squawks and covers ears* nope, that is just one of the many CDs Australian choreographers need to lose. That, and that darned "Alice" from one of the Tim Burton movies.

Would it be okay if they used The Seekers' recording instead?

Hey, now there's an idea. How about a Georgy Girl program, or The Carnival is Over?

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I've always dreamed of the Shibs doing a medley of only songs that refer to a brother or a sister! They always seem to be at a disadvantage because they can't do the passionate love stories, why not have fun with it?!

Yes...... very juvenile but funny about two siblings fighting over a toy ... or something... would make a great EX....
It's Mine!! by Trout Fishing in America
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0g3Vhfmgc

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Video game music, especially Japanese RPGs. Kevin Reynolds had a few programs, and there have been a few Mario bros.
But there is So so so much more out there.

Yes!

Here's my suggestion on that note: a Persona 5 competitive program. (could be either free or short depending on the tracks)

That game has a opening cinematic with lots of figure skating references: you can see all the protagonists doing jumps, death spiral, ina bauer, layback spin with the biellmann ... I believe it's some kind of metaphor: their lives is as thin and slippery as skating on the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jm8nnHqx80

Sayo Yamamoto directed that intro and he's also the creator of Yuri on Ice and has always been a fan of this sport. Besides that the game has many good tracks, often jazzy.

I'd give this theme to a male skater, who should interpret Joker (the main protagonist): Yuzuru Hanyu would be perfect for this but it could work with others too.

Wake up, Get up, Get out there - the beginning of the program

The Poem of Everyone's Souls
- mid-section / steps sequence

Last Surprise - Last part / end of the program

I wouldn't mind to see a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest ex program too.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I wonder if anybody has ever skated to Enya, and if not, how her music would fit skating. Or music similar to hers - I'd love to see a pairs program to Adiemus for instance!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
We had a fun thread a while back about villains.

No more cartoon villains! They don't count.

I want real villains. Maybe someone skating as Manson. Alex K would be up to the task. He has that wild, right on the edge footwork sequence I love, and that kind of energy would transfer to a program about a homicidal maniac.

I've want someone to skate a program to hippy music. I've long thought Jason Brown should do a short program to California Dreaming by the Mamas and Papas.

How about a classic Motown program? Midnight Train to Georgia or something by Stevie Wonder when he was young.

Something somber, but really somber. Like Gregorian chants, skated in really severe costuming. That would be interesting.

Or boy band music. But real boy bands from back in the day. The Monkees!

i can totally see it! a program on helter skelter and other late 60s songs! i'm not sure about Krasnozhon though

I need this to happen (sends telepathic message to TCC)

---

I have a million songs and/or themes that I want to see in a skating program, but as I'm at work and sneak GS-ing just the ones on the top of my head:

- Rent programs should've been aplenty when the RD requirement was musicals. It wasn't. I demand a Rent program.
- Also on musicals: Little Shop of Horrors. Make cheesy horror musical programs a thing.
- Baroque pieces, e.g. Handel's oratorios, would be great if done right.
- Tim Burton's *animation* films, like The Nightmare Before Christmas and The Ghost Bride. With Burton-esque costumes.
- I would love to see modern traditional East Asian music that does not happen to be the soundtrack of a)Memoirs of a Geisha b)Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or c)Kung Fu Panda used more. Oh, and I would be ever grateful if Japanese and Chinese (and rarely, Korean) cultures were actually differentiated within those programs. Signed, Ichat the East Asian grouch.
- Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan-themed programs. The Legend of the Drunken Master would be awesome.
- I have been yelling at the skating gods to give me a Rehab program for quite some time now. We need more Amy Winehouse in general.

i demand an Into the Woods program and a Wicked. as for baroque music, i want to see the fireworks, the virtuosism baroque was about, Vivaldi wrote a lot more than 4 seasons, pick Gloria instead or IL Gardellino, or Il Favorito or better an aria from a baroque opera (by Handel, Gluck or Vivaldi himself) and let the skater spin on the neverneding explosive variations of the singer

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I wonder if anybody has ever skated to Enya, and if not, how her music would fit skating. Or music similar to hers - I'd love to see a pairs program to Adiemus for instance!

Katarina Witt and most recently, Radionova

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
More Queen!

Seriously. They put out 188 songs total and we only ever see the same four or five - and they're four or five of the least skateable songs. (Although I did learn last year that Another One Bites The Dust has the correct BPM for one of the pattern dances).

Otherwise known as: someone do The Millionaire Waltz, PLEASE!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i can totally see it! a program on helter skelter and other late 60s songs! i'm not sure about Krasnozhon though

Shameful secret. I always call him Alex K because it never looks correct when I type it out, and I'm too lazy to look it up every time.

Anyway, rethink your objection to him portraying Manson, I beg you! That FP Footwork at the end is a perfect fit, and his crazy spins would be in character.

I'm having too much fun with this.

I liked the Tom Jones theme the Canadian ice dancers used, but would rather see that in a men's short program that's only long enough for "It's Not Unusual."

Speaking of good men's SP ideas, how about someone skating a skeezy old-school Vegas program to Wayne Newton's "Danke Schoen." Shirt open to the waste, thick chest hair toupee (if required), large gold medallion on a chain.

A fun-loving skater could have a blast if they skated to a medley of Jeffster songs. You have to be a fan of the TV Show Chuck to get this reference.

But here's a clip of ALL their songs from that AWESOME show. You're Welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXAm9O0jOXk

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yes...... very juvenile but funny about two siblings fighting over a toy ... or something... would make a great EX....
It's Mine!! by Trout Fishing in America
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0g3Vhfmgc

Yes :biggrin:

On another thread like this one, I actually made this suggestion. It's so nice to see someone else on a message board who knows about Trout Fishing in America, and really any of their songs would make fun exhibition numbers.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes :biggrin:

On another thread like this one, I actually made this suggestion. It's so nice to see someone else on a message board who knows about Trout Fishing in America, and really any of their songs would make fun exhibition numbers.

I became a fan thru your post I think... Glad you commented because I knew my suggestion came from elsewhere but did not remember where. When I first heard the song I mentioned it to my brother-in-law who knew all their songs so I became a fan!! I wondered at first why my very level-headed brother-in-law would know this band then I remembered he had a younger brother close to his age... haha.. thanks!

icetug

Medalist
Oh, if we're getting Who scores - 'The Shepherd's Boy' or nothing!

But... what about 'This is Gallifrey'? 'Doomsday Theme'? 'The Long Song'? 'The Wedding of River Song'? 'With Love Vincent'? ....? ;)

And it's such a shame that Murray Gold's soundtrack for 'The Musketeers' wasn't released.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But... what about 'This is Gallifrey'? 'Doomsday Theme'? 'The Long Song'? 'The Wedding of River Song'? 'With Love Vincent'? ....? ;)

And it's such a shame that Murray Gold's soundtrack for 'The Musketeers' wasn't released.

All right, I'll give you Vincent, and also any of the Missy tracks, but any Goldian bombast can languish unused.

And moving beyond Who, for a long time I have wanted somebody to have the guts to skate to Malmsteen's 'Icarus's Dream Suite Opus 4'. Maybe Ivett Toth will take it on since nobody else seems to want to try...