Brand New Ideas for Programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Brand New Ideas for Programs

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
I have absolutely no clue about planning choreographys/choosing music for iceskating competitions, but I'd really like to see someone skating to some really heavy electro or dubstep mix. If it already happened, please give me a link! :D

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I was listening two nights ago to Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" and thought, I'm so bored with mush. Wouldn't a great ANTI-romance program be an absolute breath of fresh air? Happy ending not allowed.

Of course not every alternative program works. I saw this topic and thought immediately of the German dance team program of a season or two ago, which we could conceivably call "You Or Somebody You Know Are Going to DIE FROM CANCER. Yes, DIE! Die from CANCER!!!" With costumes a lovely shade of diarrhea brown.

Party hearty.

lappo

Final Flight
I do also watch competitive dance and I agree with OP that most figure skating programs not only use a very limited amount of music genres but also super generic choreography. I don't know if this is just an impression of mine, but I feel that while men skaters are a bit more experimental with their music choices (for example rock, hip-hop, anime OST), female skaters are mostly stuck with either warhorses or boring ballads (I personally would ban Lara Fabian and Celine Dion from FS). I do wonder if this is due to a preconceived and archaic idea of what ladies skaters should appear in front of judges (but then, it's not like exhibitions in general offer more adventurous choices...).

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Anton Shulepov's SP this season, has the steps sequence on a sort of dubstep music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCS_1wFG9Tk

Thanks!! This is exactly the kind of stuff I'd like to see more. Most electronic/synthetic music can be so powerful and if you get the timing right, I would love to see a choreo for it. I don't know how hard it is to create a choreography around it or whether people think it just doesn't fit the elegance of the sport, but I'd sure love to see it!

I'd love to see more energetic performances...there was a pair (Apollinariia Panfilova/Dmitry Rylov) in the free skating at Lausanne 2020 that skated to the soundtrack of Matrix, and they were PRETTY cool.

Link here:

Try around 45:50 if it doesn't skip right to that part!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More alternative/emo music! I want more of Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, and My Chemical Romance!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have absolutely no clue about planning choreographys/choosing music for iceskating competitions, but I'd really like to see someone skating to some really heavy electro or dubstep mix. If it already happened, please give me a link! :D

Fedor Andreev did during his singles career for an exh back late 90s early 00s

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I'd love to see someone skate to the soundtrack of The Crown, it's a very interesting score and playing either The Queen or Princess Margaret would be awesome! Be perfect for Ladies, Pairs and Dance.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am always happy to recognize a sentimental favourite from the days of my youth, but I get it that it is not likely to happen because not all songs mean the same thing to all people & English lyrics is better overall for international audience, and that’s before the much more important factors as in they have to skate to it.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You know what I'd love to see? Programs set to pub rock. Hunters and Collectors, the Masters Apprentices, the Screaming Jets and all the rest...tell me 'Holy Grail' wouldn't make a good singles SP, or 'Throw Your Arms Around Me' (shame there was never a recording of the DAAS cover released though). 'Friday on my Mind' would be pretty good too.

And some other classic rock - we get so much Elvis and the Beatles, why no Buddy Holly? Aerosmith would be interesting too.

And it would be great if some skaters/choreographers went a bit further back than jazz standards. How about some Andrews Sisters, or even better, Boswell Sisters programs?

elliana

On the Ice
There's so much exciting classical music out there.

Would love to see some Ravel or Albeniz.

Zamin

Rinkside
you know who's really missing from figure skating? Richard Wagner.

For the past few month I've had that idea in my mind of a pairs FS to Rheingold's prelude, because that piece of music is just divine. Of course that would require a really great choreo and great skaters to pull this off, but basically I'd like to see a "creation of the world" type of program, where the skaters try to create a universe out of movements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjkjF9OfMe0

In the category not really new idea, but I can't believe no one has chosen this music so far.

And yes, more baroque music. Actually one of my dream programs would be to see Yuzuru Hanyu skate to Bach, preferably the Cello Sonata, because Hanyu and Bach are a match made in heaven.

As for new programs ideas:
  • I would love to have more pairs programs that instead of being romance programs, go "we hate each other's guts" on ice. Or just "epic fight on ice". Zabiiako/Enbert went in that direction with their Alexander Nevsky SP, and while it was not the best program there is, it was a step in the right direction.
  • And more programs like Kazuki Tomono's SP. Actually Chroma is a great score to riff off. Or any McGregor's ballet really. Basically just have McGregor do figure skating programs please.

As far a vilain programs go, the Tolkien fan in me want to see someone skate to Blind Guardian. I mean you can have a Morgoth program set to Time Stand Still (or if you're really brave, an Ungoliant FS to Into the Storm).