2020 Europeans: Men's SP Recap | Golden Skate

2020 Europeans: Men's SP Recap

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michal Brezina of the Czech Republic gave a solid performance to take the lead in the Men's Short Program in Graz, Austria, on Wednesday. Russia's Dmitri Aliev is just over a point behind in second place, followed by teammate Artur Danielian who is making his European Championship debut.

Brezina was near-stellar in his routine to "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing" by Chris Isaak, producing a quad Salchow-double toe, triple flip and triple Axel. The 29-year-old also showed very good level 4 footwork and two level 4 spins to score a new season's best of 89.77.

"I feel good!" said the skater who trains in California under Rafael Arutyunyan. "There was a small mistake in a spin, but the performance itself was great. From the marks, everyone enjoyed it. I felt good while performing as I was not concentrated on on technical elements and was just performing."

Brezina, who will soon be a father, feels that his motivation comes from the heart. "It isn't good if you force yourself." He hasn't decided whether or not this will be his last competition. "Maybe it is a 'bye-bye' and maybe not.

More...

What are your thoughts on the Men's SP?

Shocking and heartbroken for Aymoz...:reye:

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, this clarifies for me when I asked if Danielle has had the baby yet; she hasn't.:)

And Michal's training mates have been applauding him on social media (Alexa Knierim, for example.) Hey, you go, "old guy":clap:

and of course Kevin:sad21:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Well... men’s event never fails to surprise me. Full of unexpected results as always.
I thought Kevin is on the way to get a European title, and there he is, not even making it into the free skate. Pretty shocking.
Good skate for Danielyan, Aliev and Brezina. Watch Danielyan win this event, that would be pretty crazy.

German commentator was very surprised when a German skater made it into top 6.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
OMG men's SP!

I'm gutted for Kevin. I don´t know if there was some kind of problem or the (justified) expectation of being on the podium what got the best of him… I'm sure that he'll be back and he'll get that crown soon.:console:

I'm really happy for Brezina, he's been around for so long that I'll be ok if he can get the european crown at least once before he retires... If he wants to retire, of course, I'm OK with him in competitions for as long as he wants. :rock:

Good luck every one for the free!!

[SUB]Javi, we miss you...[/SUB]:drama:

icybear

Medalist
Aymoz pcs were too high. For someone who didnt qualify and still have pcs only 0.5 off the top. He had complete meltdown, he landed no jumps so I think his pcs should have shown that. Anyway I pity him, cause obviously his sexual abuse alleged coaches had an effect on him. But I'm very disgusted that one of the alleged coaches had the audacity to show her face here after all the info that has come out about her in the press about how she and her husband threatened the sexual abuse victim into not speaking out.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am thrilled for Brezina!

And, as I posted on another thread, it's a cautionary tale for me about mentally awarding medals and sorting out placements before competitions.

These things have to be won on the ice.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Brezina but my oh my... Kevin Aymoz not making the free has got to be one of the biggest shocks of the season. Certainly the biggest shock in terms of placement.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, I've always been a fan of the grandpa's, so I can hardly complain about Brezina winning the SP. I'm not, just that the result is unexpected, and I'm really happy for him. Go grandpa's! But I would have had Aliev first. The difference is small however, so let's see what happens in the Free. I was speechless ( as so many of us were) when Kevin skated - whom I really expected to medal or even win the competition. A disappointment. Not so Danielan...he finally skated a good SP. Not perfect (I was unhappy about his 3A because I know he's one of those guys who can land them so beautifully), but certainly good enough. And he's stunning to watch. No, I won't mention Thomas....

Lovechihuahua

Match Penalty
41.21 PCs for Aymoz's totally collapsed performance is just a fat joke, it just swept away all the joy in this Men's event.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Interestingly Aymoz failure to qualify in the free help Adam Siao Him Fa to qualify into the free. At least there is skater from France in the free skate! Hopefully Adam use this chance to show his best.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Oh, I¨m missing Fernandez so much!!!

Anyway, many surprises and the biggest of them Aymoz dropping off after sp, oh my... Is he injured, perhaps? I really liked Danielian´s skating style, pleases my eye. Brezina leading is a surprise, but in the freeskate he will be the last to skate and that is very diffcult to handle.

The difference between 1-7 is only about 10 points and several skaters are very close to Rizzo (7th place).

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I still can’t believe Aymoz’ unfortunate performance, but alas, things like that happen.

On the complete opposite side, it was really cool to see Brezina grab the lead, and Aliev and Danielian do great. Samarin, apparently, had just switched to new boots... and gosh, I can’t get over Grassl’s spins. And I was glad to see Vasiliev doing well despite the ankle injury just prior...

Also, on a childish note, two Russian skaters have mirrored initials. DA and AD.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Kevin has charisma, but ultimately his sometimes dodgy technique (plus his competition nerves) always makes a skate like this a possibility.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Very pleased to see Nikolaj Majorov(SWE) skating his best short ever containing a nice 3 axel :thumbsup:

Also impressed with Illya Solomin(SWE) with a personal best, just one spot from making the free. In my opinion due to being unknown and skating in the first group. He was on the Swedish junior and national team until he quit skating in season 16/17. Now he’s worked his way back and almost made the finals. He competed at Europeans five years ago as a tiny boy. Way to go!

Sondre(NOR) too did personal best I think. Both he and Nikolaj now fighting for the free techs for worlds.

What’s happened to Kevin can happen to anyone who wants it too much(or being too emotional). I cringed at seeing him and Fontana in K&C.

There is something about Danielian that I like. I think I’m rooting for him to win :)