Pairs side by side spin | Golden Skate

Pairs side by side spin

Ailera

Rinkside
I was watching Pavliuchenko/Khodykin's short program at euros and noticed that during their side by side spin, someone (their coach probably) was telling them when to change positions: https://youtu.be/cuK-7zV8M8o?t=96 It sounds like he's saying "up" but it's probably another word in Russian. Is this allowed? If so, is it a common practice for competitions? I would think the arena, especially at big comps, would be too loud for the coach to be heard.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was watching Pavliuchenko/Khodykin's short program at euros and noticed that during their side by side spin, someone (their coach probably) was telling them when to change positions: https://youtu.be/cuK-7zV8M8o?t=96 It sounds like he's saying "up" but it's probably another word in Russian. Is this allowed? If so, is it a common practice for competitions? I would think the arena, especially at big comps, would be too loud for the coach to be heard.

Sometimes you can hear a coach from a distance, and most of the time it's the male pairs partner calling out the movement. Yes it's allowed and it's for safety reasons.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I always like it when it's not necessary...that a couple is so tuned to each other this goes automatically. But, usually you do hear the male partner (and rarely but it happens, the female one) giving out the shouts - and they have to be shouts to be heard on top of the music. It is definitely common practice, which is why I enjoy it so much when it isn't necessary!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
David Pelletier had a LOT to say about pairs spins; he hates it when they are used as the last element in the program (which is very, very common), considering it anticlimactic.

According to him, the person calling out the movement is the weaker spinner of two partners; that's because the OTHER partner has to adjust to the calls, and it is easier to do if the person adjusting is a stronger spinner. He made it clear that the calling partner isn't necessarily a weak spinner, they're just the weaker spinner of that partnership.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I never said the caller is the weaker spinner...just that some call the changing of positions out loud, and others don't. And what I prefer..which is not to be taken seriously in any case. X

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I never said the caller is the weaker spinner...just that some call the changing of positions out loud, and others not. And what I prefer..which is not to be taken seriously in any case. X

No, but David Pelletier claimed that when he was commentating on CBC. I thought his comment provided real insight.