2020 Europeans: Rhythm Dance Recap | Golden Skate

2020 Europeans: Rhythm Dance Recap

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron of France took a very narrow lead of .05 points ahead of Russia’s Victoria Sinitsina and Nikita Katsalapov on Thursday in Graz, Austria. Charlene Guignard and Marco Fabbri of Italy are currently in third.

The top two teams both delivered the goods in their respective dances. The main difference came down to the program component scores (PCS) and grades of execution (GOE).

Papadakis and Cizeron met all key points in their Finnsteps and all elements were graded a level 4 except for the diagonal steps and Papadakis’ pattern steps—both of which were graded a level 3. The twizzles and lift were both very good, and the defending champions earned 88.78 points for their Disco/Blues routine to music from Fame.

“We are very pleased,” said Cizeron. “Technically the program was correct and the audience was with us—even if the seats are far—we felt it. We had some fear at the beginning of the season with this program, being a bit vintage, but now we feel that most love it.”

More...

What are your thoughts on the RD? Do you like Papadakis and Cizeron's costume change or do you prefer the original? What are your thoughts on how well Sinitsina and Katsalapov are doing? Do they have a chance for gold?

Last edited:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Lilah and Lewis are in sixth place - reaaaally hope they can push up to fifth in the free dance!! The FD is usually where they rack up the points and I hope Madonna gets them there!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
A bit astonished at how close S/K are to P/C. I'm glad there's a battle brewing, but the Russians weren't THAT good (though I'd certainly have them 2nd). Certainly on PCS I'd have P/C at least a point higher.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
If there is a discipline where I would not have minded the during the performance comments, it would be ice dance. But the guy was like... They skated really well.

Me: yeah, they all skate well. All to Grease and ABBA...

The only difference, usually when I catch PC, they skate to some mournful tune, this time they were more upbeat, I assume it’s Rhythm dance requirement...

Honestly, I am not sure I learned anything from watching it or understood scoring any better :( lifts are a highlight, but they seem to only do one.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
A bit astonished at how close S/K are to P/C. I'm glad there's a battle brewing, but the Russians weren't THAT good (though I'd certainly have them 2nd). Certainly on PCS I'd have P/C at least a point higher.

I agree, I'm still not sure how Victoria and Nikita got positive GOE on their twizzles when he looked so out of control. However, it is nice to see a closer fight between 1st and 2nd than usual although I don't think Victoria and Nikita have any chance to get gold, as Gabby and Guillaume are typically very strong in the free (more so than in the rhythm dance, historically) and should (IMO) have a lead in PCS.

Charlène and Marco were brilliant :hap36:, and I'm so pleased they got a PB. Fingers crossed they can hang on in 3rd and grab the bronze tomorrow.
I really like Alexandra and Ivan's rhythm dance, but unfortunately their performance of it today wasn't their best and ditto for Tiffani and Jonathan, who I'm delighted to see in the final flight, even though they had a couple of slightly awkward looking moments.

I look forward to the free, it should be very interesting!

McBibus

On the Ice
The Italian Kiss & Cry!!! :love::luv17:

Anna Cappellini, Charlene Guignard and Barbara Fusarpoli all in the same image!!!
Too god to be true :yahoo:

Italian QUEENS :hap85:

Lovechihuahua

Match Penalty
If reputation didn't play a role in scoring, S/K can easily overtake the lead in rhythm dance, they surely delivered the best performance, way miles better than P/C. P/C were really mediocre yesterday, I couldn't regard them as top dancers according to what the gave us in RD, if judging correctly, not only S/K, but even G/F and S/B should've been ahead of them.
I know a lot of people have already get uesd of P/C's dominating, but maybe it's time for you folks to face the truth that P/C were never the best in this sport, and they are not necessarily the winners of every dance competition.
S/K are the real highlight of this event, they are so delightful, so gorgeous, so smooth, this is the ice dance for me.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Who is judge #8?

He/She really disliked Stepanova/Bukin. The program component scores are way off from every other judge's marks. Every other judge has them in the 9s across the board but judge 8's highest mark is only a 8.5 and includes a 8.0 for music interpretation/timing :scratch2:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
If reputation didn't play a role in scoring, S/K can easily overtake the lead in rhythm dance, they surely delivered the best performance, way miles better than P/C. P/C were really mediocre yesterday, I couldn't regard them as top dancers according to what the gave us in RD, if judging correctly, not only S/K, but even G/F and S/B should've been ahead of them.
I know a lot of people have already get uesd of P/C's dominating, but maybe it's time for you folks to face the truth that P/C were never the best in this sport, and they are not necessarily the winners of every dance competition.
S/K are the real highlight of this event, they are so delightful, so gorgeous, so smooth, this is the ice dance for me.

And so anxiety provoking...

Just what I DON'T want to see in a program set to a pattern that is supposed to bubble like champagne.

Plus his fake smile is so creepy he looks like he just stepped out of a movie about serial killers.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Who is judge #8?

He/She really disliked Stepanova/Bukin. The program component scores are way off from every other judge's marks. Every other judge has them in the 9s across the board but judge 8's highest mark is only a 8.5 and includes a 8.0 for music interpretation/timing :scratch2:

It was the Finnish judge, Virpi Kunnas-Helminen, but that was apparently nothing personal towards S/B - her PCS scores were the lowest for just about ever team, not just them.

E

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

I couldn’t disagree more but we all have our opinions.

I like Victoria a lot but their RD is a bit dull to me, whereas P/C’s was very fun imo.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
S/K's RD is pretty good, but their FD is NOT good. They've been losing to other teams on the FD segment all season.