2020 Europeans: Ladies' Short Program | Golden Skate

2020 Europeans: Ladies' Short Program

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kostornaia reeled off a solid triple Axel, triple Lutz, and triple flip-triple toe in her routine to music by Max Richter. The 2019-20 Grand Prix Final champion also showed strong level 4 spins and footwork, earning many high positive grades of execution (GOE) for all elements to score 84.92 points.

"For today, my goal was just come in and do what I used to do," said the 2018 World Junior silver medalist. "Of course, I kept in mind that this is a big competition. I skated my short program for the second season and of course as far as I'm growing, the program is growing with me. I can interpret the character better. But the character itself is still the same. It is an angel who came to earth and got a chance to return back in the end of the story. I hope I perform this program once more this season and I'm not planning to change the technical content anymore."

More...

What are your thoughts on the Ladies SP in Graz?

Last edited:

ruga

Final Flight
Almost everything went as expected. The only unexpected thing was Sasha's mistake on 2A and her getting a SB despite that. She is getting better at performing but I'd still have her closer to Paganini. Also, many girls from first groups had delightful dresses!

skatespin

On the Ice
I think Trusova and Paganini's scores should be much closer. No clue how Trusova managed to get a SB with an obvious mistake...

Nimyue

On the Ice
I love Trusova. She's adorable and fun to watch. But her PCS scores are a hot mess. Giving her that PCS today was such BS. Her skating skills were not better than Paganni's. What kills me is that it wouldn't even stop her medaling in the long run because her tech scores in the long are going to stomp anyone who's not Russian.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Loved the SP, Some great performances.
Dislike the Sasha bashing but whatever, I saw lots of improvement in her performance ability and she didn't fall like at GPF.

Alyona was sublime and so was Anna. It is probably between the two of them in the free, Sasha is still at a disadvantage in PCS so I doubt even 3 quads are enough if they all skate clean.

Alexia was good, but not 70+ good. I think her score was fair.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Loved the SP, Some great performances.
Dislike the Sasha bashing but whatever, I saw lots of improvement in her performance ability and she didn't fall like at GPF.

Alyona was sublime and so was Anna. It is probably between the two of them in the free, Sasha is still at a disadvantage in PCS so I doubt even 3 quads are enough if they all skate clean.

Alexia was good, but not 70+ good. I think her score was fair.
Agree, mostly. Would've had Alexia at least closer to Sasha since Alexia was just ON today everything was on point. I would've at least scored her ~70

But yeah, please no Sasha bashing, first of all it's not the girls fault and she is working on improving and it was noticeably better today

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Missed the first group on purpose and most of the second group by mistake - I had the starting time wrong in my head and left Graz too late... Grh. But watched the rest fairly diligently although there were not very many memorable performances.

I was very delighted to see the lovely Emmi Peltonen for once hit all those jump passes perfectly and get also a higher level on the steps. She is so good a creating a strong mood that watching her is truly a pleasure.

Then it was basically the 3A. I had not seen Anna Shcherbakova live before and she appealed to me slightly more like this. The steps were a particular delight, but she is still not really my cup of tea.

The same for Trusova - it was surprising to see that mess of a 2A, she has not had that many problems with it in the past. The program is cleverly built so that it hides her biggest flaws, ie she executes but does not really seem to feel and interpret the music.

I am a big Alena Kostornaia fan, I fully admit to being biased in her case. But I think this time I was left slightly less in awe than previously (I saw her live in Finlandia Trophy and that was sublime). She was a bit tight and seemed less floaty than usually, the 3A landing was ok, but not perfect, the combo seemed to come down with less running edge than usual. Thought the not SB was ok judgement. It was interesting to see that she had grown 2,5 cm over the holidays and had had trouble getting back on track. Maybe still a bit of that in her performance.

Overall, I agree with the results. It will be interesting to see who will be able to deliver tomorrow!

E

Vemvane

On the Ice
I thought all three of Aliona, Anna and Alexandra were amazing today, and for me they were in a clear class of their own, in terms of technical arsenal, and head and shoulders over most of the other skaters in terms of performance and polish. For three young teenagers, making their Euros debut, they were phenomenal, and, really, it is only that i have become so used to them doing brilliantly that I have any nits to pick about their performances, such as Aliona stalling a touch on landing her 3A, Sasha losing control of her 2A and having to turn out of it on the ice, and the moment where I thought her Biellmann was not going to happen. Anna was as elegant and ethereal as ever in her SP, and she was the only one of the three where I did not have to hold my breath for a moment. Nonetheless, to me, they all three were superb, and their performances just quality.

I nearly stopped watching after Sasha, because I was starting to feel a little skated out, after following the ISU stream since the start, but I am so glad I decided to be fair and watch Alexia Paganini's performance, because she really did a great job. She was bright, energetic, delivered the choreography with so much sass and flair, her jumps were lovely and clean, and her spins were great as well.

Other skaters who stood out for me included Emmi Peltonen, who was just so beautiful, her arms, her lines, the wistfulness of her movements all fitting the poignancy of the melody. Her jumps looked huge and she landed on such deeply bent knees. It was just wonderful to watch. And speaking of wonderful to watch, I have to give a shoutout to Mae Berenice Maite, who had such a great vibe going, I could practically feel it through the screen. She radiated charisma, and I am still grumpy at the single solitary judge who clearly did not appreciate a good thing when they saw it and gave her a measly 6.75 for her performance.

Alessia Tornaghi set the bar very high early on, with an outstanding skate. She has lovely soft arms, and there were moments when they were so pliant they made me think of palm fronds waving in the wind; my only quibble is that she would sometimes leave her arms motionless, at her sides, which is such a waste, because she really has lovely carriage. But she is very young, and has plenty of time to grow and develop and polish her skating, so, really, that's a quibble and not a criticism. And I should not forget to mention the excellent timing she had, when landing her 2A on the beat.

I also liked the poise of Lea Serna, the vivacity of Ekaterina Kurakova, and was charmed by Nelli Ioffe, who skated so beautifully for one so young and inexperienced. It was a fun afternoon of watching and appreciating skating for me, and I am looking forward very much to the free.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'll be quick as I'm not really invested in ladies. I'll skip the 3A, as their placements are totally predictable, and everybody has been discussing them already. Good for them (and two of them skated really well) but not so interesting for me. I loved Alexia Paganini. She had a great performance. Wow! I would have had her closer to the top 3 (not surpassing them but still), but that's what it is. I am in love with Mae Berenice Maite who had a wonderful sassy skate, and Emmi Peltonen was also a highlight. And let's not forget Alessia...wow! I had hoped for better from Kurakova, but still interesting. Poor Nicole! I really think she would have gotten higher marks if she hadn't skated straight after Alena. Well, that's it for now.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Honestly, I am nearly overwhelmed, so much to love... I started watching a bit bored, but then the ladies just took off. outside 3A, though I am hopelessly crazy about Trusova... Meite, my heart, landed the jumps & so bright; Peltonen is stunning, Tornaghi I loved her in YOG, she looked even better here; I also loved Kiibus and Kurakova, and Mikutina; and Toth is my old favourite from Olympics. Lovely night :)

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
There is no doubt that the podium will be dominated by Russian skaters but Trusova is within a striking distance from the top two after the short program. She can expect better results than the previous encounter. Her jumps look more stable than they were at the Russian nationals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8WUpRYA70

Amei

Record Breaker
Dear NBC Sports - WHY do you currently have NHL recap on when the channel guide clearly says European Figure Skating Championships 'Ladies Short Program' :scowl:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I haven't caught up with all the ladies, but I totally want to give Ekaterina Ryabova a shout-out. Her program was fab, terrible music and all (TBH I'm starting not to hate it....) I'm really proud of her, skating with big names like the 3A.

Also Valentina Matos from the first group was really good too and a huge boo at the ISU for changing the TES minimum for SP. Does she have another chance to try and get it, or is Worlds gone for her.

I've decided to wake up early tomorrow to see the final group, out of the 3A Sasha's my favourite so fingers crossed for her!

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Dear NBC Sports - WHY do you currently have NHL recap on when the channel guide clearly says European Figure Skating Championships 'Ladies Short Program' :scowl:

It's extremely frustrating :scowl: They're also blocking the youtube videos from the pairs competition even though neither main channel NBC or NBC Sports are airing the pairs competition at all :unsure: Skating in the US will only keep losing fans if they keep going like this but I don't think they care anymore

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
What time today is the ladies long program? All I can find out is 18:00 or 18:30. Is that 6:00 pm eastern time in the US?

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
What time today is the ladies long program? All I can find out is 18:00 or 18:30. Is that 6:00 pm eastern time in the US?
It is 6:30pm but in the timezone of austria, so CET +1(since its daylight savings I think its +2 but I'm not sure)

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker

In terms of on TV or when its actually the competition? TV broadcast is tomorrow at 8pm CST in the US on NBCSN