2020 Europeans: Pairs' Free Skate | Golden Skate

2020 Europeans: Pairs' Free Skate

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aleksandra Boikova and Dmitrii Kozlovskii maintained their lead after the Short Program to win the Pairs' title in Graz, Austria, on Friday evening. Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov edged out Daria Pavliuchenko and Denis Khodykin for a repeat silver, while Italy's Nicole Della Monica and Matteo Guarise maintained fourth place overall.

Boikova and Kozlovskii delivered a powerful and dynamic routine to "The Writing On The Wall" which was flawless. The Russian champions landed all jumping passes, including triple Salchows and a triple toe-double toe-double toe combination, as well as a throw triple twist, triple flip, and triple loop. All three lifts and the pair combination spin was graded a level 4 and the team earned a new personal best of 152.24 for first in the free skate and overall (234.58).

"This was one of the hardest free skatings we've done recently," said Kozlovskii. "I felt that (she got a bit lost) and I tried to pull her out of it. Usually, you focus on the difficult elements and other elements you do on autopilot, but today all elements demanded concentration and we're happy we were able to deal with that specific pressure. It's hard to say why this happened, there are many factors and they are different every time. We were in a difficult physical condition before our performance, and therefore had to focus and spend our energy to take one element at a time. We really had to fight for this performance."

More...

What are your thoughts on the Pairs' results?

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Hurrah for Aleksandra and Dmitrii! What a fun pair they are (I loved the interview afterwards, they really look like brother and sister even if they are not; And their English is pretty good too), and such beautiful skating. I hadn't expected a run away victory like this, but...the other pairs had a few problems. I am happy for Evgenia and Vladimir, although (but I'm no judge) I would have had Daria and Denis in front of them, despite the beautiful programme by the silver medalists. I had hoped for Nicole and Matteo to get a medal, but it was not to be. Too many mistakes. But...after injuries and a not so good fall season: kudos to them. I already commented on the German teams in another post, and I'll repeat it here: what an excellent result. Two teams in the top 10. And for Minerva Fabienne and Nolan to improve on their placement since last year, while there were so many more competitors this time round: good for them. They're on the rise, even if they had a few errors in the free. A pity Miriam and Severin didn't manage the home crowd nerves, but still: 6th is none too shabby. As always, I loved Zoe and Christopher. And isn't she just fabulous, handling such a nasty fall and still being pleased with their skate (and rightly so) in the end. A pity the Dutchies didn't really deliver, but it still is a feat to be able to compete at Euros after 24 years. I hope Daria and Michel go far. A great watch, this competition. It didn't bore at all, because although there was a Russian sweep in the end, it's not as if other pairs had no chances (like in ladies, where it is becoming pretty boring). They did, just couldn't live up to them. A well deserved podium - if only because of Aleksandra's wonderful smile and Dmitrii's ever present exuberance.

Lovechihuahua

Match Penalty
Boikova / Kozlovskii: WOW!!!!!!!! Now a real war between them and S/H are coming.
Three spots for Germany and Italy next year:love:

Gourlie

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I was pretty certain after Daria and Denis had finished their FS that they gonna be ahead of Evgenia and Vladimir, so at the end I was quite dissapointed. I think Evgenia nad Vladimir were overscored, and therefore was Daria's unlucky fall after throw triple flip decisive in the battle of silver.

Far above all of this Aleksandra and Dimitry deliverd one of the best performances under +5/-5 system (they are second behind Sui/Han last year WC performance just by 0.3 point), they were simply errorless. If they would skate like this in Montreal, Sui/Han will not be able to afford a single mistake.

Finally, I have to mention skating mum Zoe and her partner Christopher, who managed to perform one of their best performances despite the fact that everyone expected they would quit long time ago.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Congratulations to Aleksandra and Dmitrii both for a fantastic performance and for rising to challenge and not crumbling under the pressure / weight of expectation.
I was hoping to see Daria and Denis grab the silver, but the unlucky error on the exit of the throw sadly made this not to be.
I like Evgenia and Vladimir's programs this season (much more so than in previous seasons) and hope they manage to skate them cleanly at Worlds to challenge for a medal there.
Kudos too to Nicole and Matteo for taking 4th, after her injury it's great to see them placing so high. It was a shame they couldn't go clean in the free, but hopefully they too can manage this at Worlds.
Minerva and Nolan have been having a good season so far after their GP bronze, and I'm glad they improved on their placement from last year to take 5th.
I wish Miriam and Severin had managed to skate a fantastic free but sadly it was not to be. Although I'm sure they are disappointed, 6th is their best ever placement at Europeans and they had a fantastic short program in front of the home crowd, so hopefully they're not too unhappy with how it went.
I enjoyed watching Annika and Robert's program, they've made good progress for a team who has only been together such a short amount of time. I watched the interview with them and it was lovely to see Annika feeling so pleased with their performances, especially as it was Robert's first Europeans. I look forward to seeing them continue to improve together.

Overall, it was a shame that so few pairs had clean skates, but still an enjoyable competition!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
So many things went so wrong for so many pairs in FS here, it dampened even my bubbly spirit... so I try to focus on positive vibes.

I love the new German pair, H/K and very much looking forward to seeing them in the fray.

dM/G are stronger after injury, and I can’t say how much I hope to see them shine at Worlds

I expelled a sigh of relief every time Morozov held on to Tarasova and safely set her down—they are so beautiful, they are classy, but it’s nerve wrecking to watch them

I expected P/Kh to be second, but that unfortunate fall... aww. I’m rooting for them

And nothing but joy from B/K, they have a glam program & they are glam skaters!

Also, Kozlovskii pulling everyone on the top step during the flag lift, and his face was priceless... that’s raw happiness