News on Richard Callaghan’s ban being lifted | Golden Skate

News on Richard Callaghan’s ban being lifted

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This just came out today. ABC News and ESPN state they have uncovered a tranche (whatever that is) of confidential documents revealing that Safesport investigators found that Callaghan had engaged in various forms of misconduct with both male and female skaters. I just hope no one would send their kids to him after the suspension is lifted. Hopefully no rink would have him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnew...ating-coach-abused-children/story?id=68511217

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's not Safesport that's the problem in this case, it's the arbitrator who basically said "yep he 100% did it but I'm gonna use some stupid archaic law that will let him get away with it".

Safesport did good. The arbitrator should be struck off for life. I hope Maurizi appeals to whatever higher power he can.

brightphoton

Medalist
Callaghan “used alcohol, emotional manipulation, and his position of power” to sexually abuse Maurizi from the time he was about 15 or 16 years old until he was about 22 years old, their report said, and he “engaged in a similar pattern of sexual misconduct and grooming” with several other male athletes he coached while they were in their late teens or early 20s.

Multiple female athletes, meanwhile, endured a different form of abuse. Callaghan “routinely berated” female students about their weight, investigators found, and “engaged in forceful physical contact” with female students when he was frustrated with their performance, including “pulling their hair, whacking them with a skate guard, and pushing and shaking them.”

Many male athletes “suffered from ongoing drug and alcohol addiction, and had their lives irreparably damaged in ways impossible to articulate or calculate,” the investigators wrote, while some female athletes “develop[ed] long-term eating disorders” or “engage[d] in self-harm.”

Ugh, USFSA. Figure skating has a poor track record for abuse in all forms.

Although who knows, if the USFSA banned him, one of Richard Callaghan's relatives would probably start a GoFundMe and the entire figure skating community would rally around him and raise $40,000 for his legal defense fund.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
What I don't 'get' is why this coach presumably left Todd Eldridge and Tara Lipinski alone, while others were abused (whether sexually or otherwise). Is this just me? I'm quite shocked as it's even worse than how it looked at first, but still....

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
What I don't 'get' is why this coach presumably left Todd Eldridge and Tara Lipinski alone, while others were abused (whether sexually or otherwise). Is this just me? I'm quite shocked as it's even worse than how it looked at first, but still....

The risk of exposure with high level skaters who generate more media attention is greater.