2020 Europeans: Free Dance Recap | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2020 Europeans: Free Dance Recap

viennaskater

Medalist
Why does this whole incident remind me of the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics result and all the furore about it?

Eleanor

On the Ice
Non

Alleluja ! Very well said, sir/madam.

Are you being serious ? Just scroll down some threads here, on other boards or on youtube videos. You'll see the outrage, the physical attacks and bashing P/C had to go through for about two years. People here are confused by the results but I have yet to see them go after S/K the way V/M's fan went after P/C. Enough with the free P/C bashing.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Are you being serious ? Just scroll down some threads here, on other boards or on youtube videos. You'll see the outrage, the physical attacks and bashing P/C had to go through for about two years. People here are confused by the results but I have yet to see them go after S/K the way V/M's fan went after P/C. Enough with the free P/C bashing.

Then you must not be looking. It's on all of sinitsinas recent posts on instagram in English. Corruption fake gold didnt deserve it all of it. Under all the comments on the isu posts about there victory. It was even in the comments if her mothers posts. People are going after them.

Manitou

Medalist

Eleanor

On the Ice
Then you must not be looking. It's on all of sinitsinas recent posts on instagram in English. Corruption fake gold didnt deserve it all of it. Under all the comments on the isu posts about there victory. It was even in the comments if her mothers posts. People are going after them.

I am not searching, indeed. But then, I was not exactly searching P/C's bashing either. I am not going to check on all platforms on the internet to prove a point or not. And even if P/C's fan are indeed ripping S/K apart today, it doesn't excuse the P/C bashing going on for years and it certainly doesn't excuse the lack of honesty when saying there was no outrage when they started to catch V/M up. I'll add that russian fans are not exactly nice to P/C now that S/K are getting these marks. It seems we all are nasty at some point. :drama:

Manitou

Medalist
I really, really, really, really WANT TO BELIEVE that Gabriela's "mishap" at the podium was innocent and unintended.

E

eterialskater

Oh good! Finally the judges had sense putting someone else on top beside P/C. Honestly I prefer S/B among the 3 but it seems the judges will never put them on top.

40millionyears

Spectator
Rewatching the competition knowing the outcome and Gabriella struggle is hard. If you don't know P/C gave an interveiw after the competition where Gabriella said she is going through a difficult time with anxiety and what looks like depression. They were debatting going to EC because of Gabriella mental state. Now about the podium "incident" her head is elsewhere right now she's just forgot.

This might carry a lot more weight if she had ever made any reference to her anxiety or other struggles while they were winning everything. P/C have many strengths, but being able to admit that they perhaps just deserved to be in second place after their performances on the day has never been one of them. There are always excuses or justifications - first, for Euros here specifically it was "the judges were told not to give out too many 10s."

I'm not saying she's not struggling, I'm just saying it's an extremely convenient time to bring it up.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
That's good, shows the judges are doing their job.

viennaskater

Medalist
I don't agree with this notion of 'someone else should win for a change'. The fact remains that the majority of people preferred the French programme to the Russians'. If the French still have the talent, why not continue to reward it? I watched it again last night and was still captivated. I barely noticed the tiny mistake.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I don't agree with this notion of 'someone else should win for a change'. The fact remains that the majority of people preferred the French programme to the Russians'. If the French still have the talent, why not continue to reward it? I watched it again last night and was still captivated. I barely noticed the tiny mistake.

If they are the best, they should keep winning. Trying to ”create“ a rivalry when there isn’t any, imo, is even worse for the sport than having the same couple win for a long time. No one is unbeatable and there would have come a time when P/C had lost because there‘s always someone who‘s better. (like V/M at the Olympics who were very clearly the better couple at that time) Losing can actually be good for athletes because it can push them to be better and if P/C had lost against someone I saw as clearly better, I would have encouraged it. I did not see it with S/K, I did not see them as superior, even with the mistake P/C made. Thus, the whole thing felt forced and unnatural and simply not correct. The entire judging, including the suspiciously long time it took them, just left a bad taste and felt blatantly unfair. Sitting in the arena, people knew something wasn‘t right and the reaction when the scores finally came up showed it all.

(This shouldn’t mean anything bad against S/K. They shouldn’t be attacked, they just did their best. I felt their best was worse than P/C but the judges disagreed with me. But I’m free to disagree with the judges)

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
If they are the best, they should keep winning. Trying to ”create“ a rivalry when there isn’t any, imo, is even worse for the sport than having the same couple win for a long time. No one is unbeatable and there would have come a time when P/C had lost because there‘s always someone who‘s better. (like V/M at the Olympics who were very clearly the better couple at that time) Losing can actually be good for athletes because it can push them to be better and if P/C had lost against someone I saw as clearly better, I would have encouraged it. I did not see it with S/K, I did not see them as superior, even with the mistake P/C made. Thus, the whole thing felt forced and unnatural and simply not correct. The entire judging, including the suspiciously long time it took them, just left a bad taste and felt blatantly unfair. Sitting in the arena, people knew something wasn‘t right and the reaction when the scores finally came up showed it all.

(This shouldn’t mean anything bad against S/K. They shouldn’t be attacked, they just did their best. I felt their best was worse than P/C but the judges disagreed with me. But I’m free to disagree with the judges)

When it became clear that S/K won I heard the biggest cheer of the night on the TV, so, idk how that translated to the arena. But the wait for the scores was mainly a technological mishap, though people will read this however they want.

On another note, I'm glad the judges gave P/C the edge on SS, when that's their biggest advantage over other teams. The rest of the components, we could pick and choose, especially on the worlds stage. To me they were never unbeatable, not before and not now, and maybe the judges can start to spread out their options now. I also believe this result might be positive for other teams that want a chance at beating P/C: if one was able to do it, now it's not out that far out of reach. This could be a golden opportunity for someone like C/B, or even H/D, though the latter pair is on a downward trend.

Fluture

Record Breaker
When it became clear that S/K won I heard the biggest cheer of the night on the TV, so, idk how that translated to the arena. But the wait for the scores was mainly a technological mishap, though people will read this however they want.

if one was able to do it, now it's not out that far out of reach. This could be a golden opportunity for someone like C/B, or even H/D, though the latter pair is on a downward trend.

Well, let‘s say it like this: There were quite a few Russian fans in the arena and obviously, they were cheering and screaming. The others I saw, and I‘m not talking about French fans necessarily, were more politely or not so politely puzzled. There were the casual fans who were just asking the people around them: “What is happening? Why did the French pair lose? Weren‘t they better?“, the not so casual fans who were outraged but still applauded and the ones booing. Maybe I sat in an arena with less Russian fans but the reaction was quite obvious to me.

Yes, if there is something positive to this whole situation it is the fact that it may push P/C to be even better and also push more teams to try and improve so they can beat them. Maybe it will make the competitions more interesting. But I would have preferred it to happen in a tight, difficult and serious fight. At the moment, the whole thing just seems like a forced “let‘s show that they‘re not unbeatable and create a rivalry because that‘s what keeps people interested“ kind of moment and I don’t support that.

rosy14

Final Flight
The superior SS of P/C ? Guillaume's, quite probably (but not at GPF and not at Euros). But Gabi's ? Not at all.
Again, they seem to have better SS than others, first because they skate the same thing over and over, second because judges say that, usually forgetting to see (panelists included) all the minor and major flaws in her technique.

viennaskater

Medalist
We could start a whole separate thread for that. I have lots of thoughts.

I only mention it because many people were outraged at the result at those Olympics, and there seemed to be a conspiracy not to let Torvill/Dean win. I am not saying that exactly the same thing happened here, but the feeling in the arena was exactly as Fluture said and there were MANY Russian fans making a lot of noise, and when the result came up, many were shocked, including me. Shock towards the judges, not the winners.

rain

Record Breaker
Well, let‘s say it like this: There were quite a few Russian fans in the arena and obviously, they were cheering and screaming. The others I saw, and I‘m not talking about French fans necessarily, were more politely or not so politely puzzled. There were the casual fans who were just asking the people around them: “What is happening? Why did the French pair lose? Weren‘t they better?“, the not so casual fans who were outraged but still applauded and the ones booing. Maybe I sat in an arena with less Russian fans but the reaction was quite obvious to me.

Yes, if there is something positive to this whole situation it is the fact that it may push P/C to be even better and also push more teams to try and improve so they can beat them. Maybe it will make the competitions more interesting. But I would have preferred it to happen in a tight, difficult and serious fight. At the moment, the whole thing just seems like a forced “let‘s show that they‘re not unbeatable and create a rivalry because that‘s what keeps people interested“ kind of moment and I don’t support that.

I wish I thought they cared about keeping people interested with a rivalry. Unfortunately, I don't think that played any role whatsoever in what happened. Skating doesn't tend to care so much about the audience.

icekiwi

On the Ice
I'm not surprised that much.
P/C were quite tense and didn't fly across the ice with their usual smoothness. Some little stumbles were noticeable here and there, so the pairs harmony didn't give a perfect impression, whereas S/K really nailed it today. I even enjoyed S/B more.
S/K are improving and the judges clearly like what they are doing. They seem to be more versatile in the SD - last years tango was spot on, constructed very well with ballroom dancers, this years dance still needs some polish, but is perfectly what it should be - one can call it "classical", but it's not old fashioned, it comes across fresh and lively (they finally changed the costume!). On the contrary P/C tend to opt for programs out of the box especially when the prescribed style isn't theirs. The result works most of the time, although I don't like that idea, I would prefer a program more "true" to the given theme. This years SD - I have to say, downright atrocius in my eyes, and not even "modern" or "unique", but copy paste of a gymnastic session from the 80?! With something like that, P/C quite literally offer the judges to let S/K close the gap. If they could sell "Singin' in the rain"???
Regarding the free program, we get to see the same P/C - theme year after year after year. It was a breath of fresh air in 2015, a great program in 2018, I also liked the modernized version of 2015 in 2016. But now it's not astonishing that judges seem to be fed up with it, and adding a philosophical element to it with this poem doesn't help either.
S/B present something different every year and immerse themselves in the SD. S/K themselves should be careful not to repeat the FD a third year in a row in a slightly different package. They already struggled to sell this FD, above all in der GP final opposite C/B came up again with something new. For now, they made enough changes and skated well enough to make up for the resemblances between this season and last year and became much more comfortable overall; so P/C can't afford to make little mistakes at this point and expect to receive the highest components - there were some problems today and the judges jumped to the opportunity to present someone else with the top prize. :think: :clap:

I totally agree and thank you for the detailed explanation.

My opinion:

P/C's RD = They are better than this. The program is cheesy and the costumes are cringy. Gym/Jazz dance moves is the easiest to do, that 's what kids usually learn first before moving onto Latin/Ballroom that has a lot more technical requirements. Also, because of the fitting costumes, it really highlights how superior a dancer Guillame is than Gabriella. Dancing side by side, her lack of hip action/rotation, posture, etc.

P/C's FD = Again, they are great skaters and therefore capable of or rather, should be capable of different styles, etc. It is again the same style, ie. contemporary/lyrical. I really dislike all that "talking" without the music. It is almost like listening to someone preaching a sermon to you, there is enough opinions out there (climate change, society, disease, etc.), I don't need to listen to one more. I just want to watch beautiful skating choreographed to great music (Chock/Bates). This FD by P/C is like being forced to listen to a philosophical or even political statement.

E

eterialskater

P/C SD reminds me of that hilarious Japanese English instruction vids. Their FD as exceptional as they are cannot hide how stale this sort of music has been for them the past few years.

peepsquick

Final Flight
I totally agree and thank you for the detailed explanation.

My opinion:

P/C's RD = They are better than this. The program is cheesy and the costumes are cringy. Gym/Jazz dance moves is the easiest to do, that 's what kids usually learn first before moving onto Latin/Ballroom that has a lot more technical requirements. Also, because of the fitting costumes, it really highlights how superior a dancer Guillame is than Gabriella. Dancing side by side, her lack of hip action/rotation, posture, etc.

P/C's FD = Again, they are great skaters and therefore capable of or rather, should be capable of different styles, etc. It is again the same style, ie. contemporary/lyrical. I really dislike all that "talking" without the music. It is almost like listening to someone preaching a sermon to you, there is enough opinions out there (climate change, society, disease, etc.), I don't need to listen to one more. I just want to watch beautiful skating choreographed to great music (Chock/Bates). This FD by P/C is like being forced to listen to a philosophical or even political statement.

My opinion:

Damned, if they do, damned, if they don't! :sarcasm: