Markers for Ice | Golden Skate

Markers for Ice

jojobobo

Rinkside
Hi everyone,

This is an issue that bothers me endlessly and wanted to see if anyone else has some input. Does anyone know of a good brand of markers that work with drawing on the ice? I teach a bunch of group classes and like to draw patterns on the ice for kids to follow, but finding a marker that works well is a huge pain.

I've tried the paint based sharpie markers already and they're a little bit pricey so I was hoping for other recommendations or suggestions. Anything would be appreciated, thanks!!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is the one used by my coach and several other coaches that I know at my rink: https://www.amazon.com/Marks-Chisel-Washable-Marker-24158/dp/B000N47FGK?th=1; be sure to select "washable". (A number of the reviews on that page specifically address drawing on ice.) Our skating director insists on washable markers only. My coach gave me one to draw practice patterns, and it works well. I haven't tried out any others for comparison, though.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Thanks for asking this. I'm constantly looking for something better than Mr. Sketch, which is what I primarily use because they're cheap and they last a long time. They just aren't the most visible. Bingo dabbers from the dollar store are also super popular with coaches where I am. They are cheap and very bright, but they break easily and they don't seem to wash out.