2020 Europeans: Ladies' Free Skate | Golden Skate

2020 Europeans: Ladies' Free Skate

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alena Kostornaia maintained her lead after the Short Program to win the title in Graz, Austria, despite a second-place free skate. Teammates Anna Shcherbakova and Alexandra Trusova finished in second and third, respectively, for a Russian sweep of the Ladies' podium.

Kostornaia fell on a triple Lutz, but landed two triple Axels, one in combination with a double toe, and five more solid triple jumps in her stylish routine to "The Meadow", "Eyes on Fire" and "Supermassive Black Hole". The 2018 World Junior silver medalist also earned level 4 for all spins and scored 155.89 points for second place in the free skate. With a total score of 240.81, she was able to maintain first overall.

"I didn't think I would be an European champion," said the 2018 World Junior silver medalist. "I'm happy, it's a real surprise! My free program had a few mistakes and I'm happy I could do it. I thought I would give myself hardly a C (grade), but am happy it happened so fast and so suddenly on my first season."

More...

Give us your thoughts on the Ladies' event!

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shin Amano was the TS, and he made his influence felt. The 3 Russian ladies were clearly nervous at their first ISU Senior Championship, because they all had falls, including Kostornaia. Schsherbakova and Trusova each received <s and <<s. Surprise 4th place went to Alexia Paganini, who struggled in the early season, but did well at Euros. Peltonen was 5th, Ryabova 6th, Kiibus (redeeming her YOG debacle) was 7th, Tornaghi was 8th, Meite 9th and Kurakova 10th.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Trusova: “After nationals, I was told never cry, even if something goes wrong like today.”

How many of you cried?

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
I was so tense watching the last group, I always tensed up when the girls fell because I was so dearly wishing for a clean, good competition. I am very happy for Aliona, Anna and Sasha for their medals, they certainly deserved them and their programs were great.

However, the highlight of the evening to me was definitely Alexia, she improved so much and it's just amazing to me. Especially her jumps are just ginormous and her technique is flawless(let's hope we will finally see those quads at worlds ;) ) She looked so happy about her new SB, and I have to say I would've had her scores higher(SP and Free) but that is a minor detail obviously.

Also, I loved Katya Ryabova, she improved a lot since last year and is skating with the top dogs now and that not too shabbily.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Trusova: “After nationals, I was told never cry, even if something goes wrong like today.”

How many of you cried?

Oh, Sasha! No, you‘re young and you’re human and you‘re allowed to cry. Whoever told you not to cry should go and ... well, shut up, is the nicest expression for this. What an awful and messed up thing to say to a young girl like her!!!!

I was sad a bit today. They were clearly upset with their performances. Sasha especially would have deserved a good free. But Aliona won and I cannot be unhappy about that.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Also: major kudos to Eva-Lotta who had THE performance. Yes, “only“ seventh (I would have had her higher tbh but seventh is still a great result for her!) but she had a rough fall right before the end of the warm-up and even had tears in her eyes. And then she had to go first - I was so worried - but totally killed it!!

Emmi Peltonen‘s FS was error ridden but she does have a special quality. Her SP was outstanding. Katia Kurakova, my favorite, is unfairly killed on PCS. She‘s charming and adorable. Hopefully she works on her URs because sadly, they were visible even in real-time. Also congrats to Alexia Paganini. She did that first 3Lz+3T right before my eyes and it was stunning. That technique! And a beautiful running edge. Shame for the fall but she was clearly the best of the non-Russians. :clap:

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
I was so tense watching the last group, I always tensed up when the girls fell because I was so dearly wishing for a clean, good competition. I am very happy for Aliona, Anna and Sasha for their medals, they certainly deserved them and their programs were great.

However, the highlight of the evening to me was definitely Alexia, she improved so much and it's just amazing to me. Especially her jumps are just ginormous and her technique is flawless(let's hope we will finally see those quads at worlds ;) ) She looked so happy about her new SB, and I have to say I would've had her scores higher(SP and Free) but that is a minor detail obviously.

Also, I loved Katya Ryabova, she improved a lot since last year and is skating with the top dogs now and that not too shabbily.
Alexia is amazing! She has a perfect technique!
I love her 2019 SP. Great!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Emmi Peltonen for the short program and the first minute of the free skate (everything up through the choreo sequence) was a real standout. Then things reverted to form a bit, but I hope this is a sign that things are progressing with her.

Eva-Lotta Kiibus has had a few rough competitions of late, so the free skate going so well was very nice to see.

Alessia Tornaghi also, after a rough start to the jumps, rallied impressively in the second half. Feels like she's going to be Italy's next top lady (though she has some competition).

aname

On the Ice
Emmi Peltonen for the short program and the first minute of the free skate (everything up through the choreo sequence) was a real standout. Then things reverted to form a bit, but I hope this is a sign that things are progressing with her.

Eva-Lotta Kiibus has had a few rough competitions of late, so the free skate going so well was very nice to see.

Alessia Tornaghi also, after a rough start to the jumps, rallied impressively in the second half. Feels like she's going to be Italy's next top lady (though she has some competition).
I'm glad that all 3 managed to skate a decent FS and got a nice score.

Also, congrats to Eva-Lotta and Alessia for securing 2 spots for their countries!

Speaking of Emmi and Eva-Lotta, it seems that the GS article got them mixed up. Emmi is 20-y-o and currently training in the Helsinki area, while Eva-Lotta is still junior eligible (b. 2003 in Tallinn, Estonia)
Estonia’s Eva-Lotta Kiibus placed fifth in her free skate to “Historia de un amor” with a new personal best of 121.54. The 20-year-old from Helsinki ...

TeeSaurus

Rinkside
As this was the first competition I went to, I really cannot say much about the scoring, since I was so impressed with all the skaters. :luv17:

Just some random impressions:
Performance-wise I most enjoyed Paganini(so happy for her) and Kostornaia, but Trusova's skating also seemed much faster and more impactful than I thought.

My biggest takeaway from this competition was that it is absolutely amazing to watch figure skating live.

I picked seats right behind the technical panel so I could see them review the elements, see the downgrades/ur calls on their screen and noticed that the panel had to stand up a few times whenever skaters jumped too close to the boards in the corner where their view was blocked by the big TV cameras.

Another advantage of this location was that many beautiful elements are performed right in front of the judges.

Also, just before leaving Graz I think I passed Shin Amano and he noticed me staring a bit too much wondering if it is really him. :palmf:

Fluture

Record Breaker
I forgot to give a shoutout to Mae. Her SP was so enjoyable, the audience went wild, totally loved it. Also, how she saved that combo... wow! :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I wanted so much for Trusova to have a clean skate, but it didn’t happen. I loved how sure she was, how she always charges in, I can never believe my eyes that she falls, it’s so strange. Also, on that don’t cry comment... that’s cold. But the world being a SM cesspool, who knows what helps. She gets an unfair share of scrutiny and ill-wishing, so it’s almost impossible to say what’s the best cloak to throw over her.

Personally, I felt Tsherbakova was the leader vs Kostornaya in this particular competition because the latter didn’t quite felt perfectly perfect.

I am looking forward to watching this trio...

Kiibus was absolutely marvellous imo. Loved her very much. Peltonen fell, but it also felt like it should not have happened... and yes, I am going to echo everyone that Ryabova impresses this year. Also, a shout out to Miete — she is just so cool!

Kurakova is a charmer, no other opinion is possible—it is surprising that she is 10th tbh, but well, she has the Worlds I assume to get a second opinion still.

Also, I felt Safonova looked less unsure than in the sp, and I really loved her jumps and grace.

ruga

Final Flight
Well, I like Shcherbakova and Kostornaia, but still felt bad for Trusova. She began the season so well, but now is behind her teammates for the third competition. And it seems that none of the medalists have entered the 'work mode' after holidays. Let's see how they continue to develop in Worlds.

I also loved Emmi Peltonen! She has such great presence and mature artistry and grace. Too bad about the technical mistakes.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Shcherbakova was not perfect either

The 3A were feeling the pressure

I know, but as far as my own personal justification goes, I sort of feel that her brand of fragile grace allows for it, while Kostornaya’s cold perfection doesn’t.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I love all the 3A and felt sad for all of them at different moments - they're all such amazing athletes, competitors, and artists and they all want to do their best soo badly.
I don't think any of them were completely back in form from their break.

Other highlights were Kiibus and Kurakova who had wonderful performances!