2020 US Nationals: Men's Short Program | Golden Skate

2020 US Nationals: Men's Short Program

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen took a comfortable lead after the Men’s Short Program in Greensboro, N.C., on Saturday afternoon. Jason Brown is currently in second followed by Andrew Torgashev.

Ever consistent, Chen put out a solid routine to La Boheme which featured a quad flip, triple Axel and quad toe-triple toe. The two-time world champion also earned a level 4 on all footwork and spins to score 114.13 points.

“I am thrilled with today!” said the three-time and defending champion. The short program went really well and I am really happy I got the elements in. As it goes, I am just really excited to be here at nationals. If the flip was not there, I would have changed the program a bit, but the flip was there. For the long program, we’ll see how I feel tomorrow morning. Every competition is a new competition. The successes and failures don’t define what a competition is going to be like.”

More...

Give us your thoughts on the Men's Short Program!

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason is the most incredible perfect wonderful magnificent amazing skater. <3

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I have drunk quite a lot of wine but Jason made me really emotional. I have been waiting to see that SP clean and it was (almost) so worth it. The step sequence is phenomenal. Not to mention that he is the kindest, warm-hearted and most genuine guy ever. When he hugged the flower girl I broke into ugly sobbing.
I am so so so sooo happy for him, he deserved that moment. I think there is potential for a real "nationals" moment with his Schindler List programme tomorrow as well :pray:

- - - Updated - - -

OH! and Andrew Torgashev effing brought it and deservedly is in third. He got a new fan just from that SP, he also had a fire step sequence :luv17:

padme21

On the Ice
Casual fans are at it again. I just had to explain why Nathan was 1st and Jason wasn't.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason! :clap:
Andrew! (new fans are always welcome on the Andrew T. train, choo choo:) )

This, ladies and gentlemen, is skating.

And overall, a wonderful SP, showcasing all the different styles and strengths of the US men. :clap:

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Does anyone have non-geoblocked (Canada) videos? I'd really like to be able to watch the skates!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have drunk quite a lot of wine but Jason made me really emotional. I have been waiting to see that SP clean and it was (almost) so worth it. The step sequence is phenomenal. Not to mention that he is the kindest, warm-hearted and most genuine guy ever. When he hugged the flower girl I broke into ugly sobbing.
I am so so so sooo happy for him, he deserved that moment. I think there is potential for a real "nationals" moment with his Schindler List programme tomorrow as well :pray:

- - - Updated - - -

OH! and Andrew Torgashev effing brought it and deservedly is in third. He got a new fan just from that SP, he also had a fire step sequence :luv17:

Andrew *choreographed* that step sequence as well.

Andrew has such a unique style of movement. His performance held my interest from beginning to end. Tomoki, too.

fitzsimmons said:
When Jason hugged the flower girl I broke into ugly sobbing.

:rock: I am glad to know that I wasn't the only one.

Also, Sean Rabbitt didn't win a prize but he held the hearts of the audience in the palm of his hand.

padme21 said:
Casual fans are at it again. I just had to explain why Nathan was 1st and Jason wasn't.

Easy as pie. Just tell them that Nathan scored the most points. Every sports fan understands that.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason! :clap:
Andrew! (new fans are always welcome on the Andrew T. train, choo choo:) )

This, ladies and gentlemen, is skating.

And overall, a wonderful SP, showcasing all the different styles and strengths of the US men. :clap:

Wait, don't we have to approve them?

I'm not so sure I like these folks jumping on the Andrew train at the last minute, after I've invested a couple of years of cactus time.

They should have to suffer, too. Then they can join Team Torgeshev. Or, alternatively, they can pay me a small fee.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Andrew finally put it all together and landed his quad AND his 3A in a clean SP. He was hair-raisingly wonderful. Jason, OTOH, is nearly always wonderful.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

KatGrace1925

Medalist

The scoring system doesn’t exactly make it easy for casual stans to follow along. I was explaining it in great detail to someone the other day, there’s a few moving parts to explain and most people’s eyes just glaze over.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't get these cactus reference. :laugh:

After all, cacti thrive even when neglected.

The cactus thing is something we've picked up from our Russian contributors. I think it was a Russian who introduced the term "cactus" into the GoldenSkate lexicon.

Anyway, a "cactus" is a skater that you can't help loving, even though when you do, it causes pain. In other words, a skater who draws you in to the web of fandom, but disappoints too frequently. You hug him because you can't help it, but more often than not, you get stickers.

A cactus often has wonderful skating skills, unique and expressive movements, mesmerizing choreography, a dazzling personality.... A cactus will skate a glorious, world class performance, and then follow it up with a stinking hot mess. Just about the time you're ready to dump your cactus, he'll bring the house down, and you're sucked back in again. Brezina is the most common cactus for many of us...

Edit: Brezina, 2020 Europeans. SP 1st, FP 11th. A classic cactus.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason's PCS is superior to just about anyone else's. But he doesn't have the technical base value that skaters who can perform multiple quads have. He gets high GOE (grade of execution) on most if not all of his elements, but because his elements are worth less than a skater like Nathan, there is a limit to how high his scores can be boosted. Nathan can add another quad and execute it cleanly, and he gets High GOE too, so he will always outscore Jason as long as he skates cleanly.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
The tech box in the corner is suppose to help and assist people understand why skaters score as they do technically (and in the end show why skaters like Nathan or Jason place as they do) but at nationals this year its almost worthless because its EXTREMELY slow. For instance you will see on the screen a skater do a jump combo yet it won't show on the tech box until the skater has already completed their next element. It's a whole element behind! Someone who knows skating and the current system will be able get it regardless but the common viewer at home is likely trying to put two and two together but can't because the program is going faster then the tech box. It will only make them confused.

I don't know why its so slow because I watched the Euros coverage and there was no problem at all so its not a NBC/NBC Sports issue. The tech box was very much in sync with the performances there but not for nationals.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also agreeing that Sean Rabbitt was a rockstar, as always, and loving this quote from the article in the OP:

“This season, I had a late start. I decided for some personal reasons I wanted to keep skating. At 29, it matters what place I am in, but it is more because I love to skate.”

And Sean, thank you for coming back for another season. Your love of skating shows. And means far more than what place you are in:clap:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hiwatashi was so much fun to watch! It’s great to see Zhou back too.

I didn’t expect Torgashev do as well as he did, given him not being memorable for me in GP, but congrats!

Chen, is, as always, the clear winner, and that’s not a quality to be omitted.

Good luck to them all today!