2020 US Nationals: Men's Short Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020 US Nationals: Men's Short Program

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My highlight was Vincent Zhou!! :love::hap93: He's a delight. He pours his heart and soul into every performance, and he wears his heart on his sleeve. Plus that SP was so much fun ... romantic, a jaunty country tune, and Vincent highlighted every lyric and beat.

So good to have Vincent back! And according to Jackie Wong, he improved leaps and bounds over the week of practice (as usual, again according to JW).

The woman sitting beside me said ... "Nathan doesn't jump ... he floats." So true; his technique is so perfect it seems effortless. And he feels the music and it shows.

As far as I'm concerned, Sean Rabbit should keep coming to Nationals ... and every year, as far as I'm concerned, he should skate to East of Eden! It's such spectacular music, and it's perfect for Sean.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hiwatashi was so much fun to watch! It’s great to see Zhou back too.

I didn’t expect Torgashev do as well as he did, given him not being memorable for me in GP, but congrats!

Chen, is, as always, the clear winner, and that’s not a quality to be omitted.

Good luck to them all today!

Both these guys exceeded my expectations. Especially Hiwatashi. That was a really fun skate to watch.

Didn't really know what Vincent would do, and he doesn't look like he's up to his standard from last year, but no doubt he did very well.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Both these guys exceeded my expectations. Especially Hiwatashi. That was a really fun skate to watch.

Didn't really know what Vincent would do, and he doesn't look like he's up to his standard from last year, but no doubt he did very well.

Hiwatashi was up and down this season so far, but I have all my fingers crossed for his free, because he has a marvellous free & exactly the same goes for Zhou... and with Zhou I only saw his free once so I am even more can’t even wait smthng... I am also a tiny bit scared after some incredible soul floating moments in gentlemen’s skating this year for some of my favourites, so... I hope all will be well.

princessalica

Final Flight
I wonder if Andrew has the scoring ability to surpass Vincent in the free. Bearing Vincent in the short was very impressive, and that score was amazing, but it’s a lot harder when so many more quads are allowed.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if Andrew has the scoring ability to surpass Vincent in the free. Bearing Vincent in the short was very impressive, and that score was amazing, but it’s a lot harder when so many more quads are allowed.

I think Andrew also has a 4S in addition to 4T. Still, in any other year, I'd doubt he could beat Vincent over the course of an entire competition, but we don't really know what Vincent has - from what I've gathered from rumors, he's still working to regain his most difficult quads. We'll know soon.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Chen and Zhou were my sp favourites, have not seen Torgashev´s performance, yet. Feeling very glad that Zhou skated so well considering his absence at competitions this season.

sheetz

Record Breaker
The FS will be fascinating to me because I feel spots #2-5 are very much in play. It sounds like Jason will be going for the quad so if he misses it then the door could be open for the other guys to sneak into second. Andrew has hardly ever skated a clean FS, however. Vincent has a good chance of going clean with a 1 quad program. I have no idea what to expect from Tomoki.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not only was Jason, well, Jason:clap:
He managed to get Tara and Johnny to say nice things, including Johnny with (paraphrasing) spins, skating skills, what Jason does isn’t easy. From Johnny???

Still can’t believe that the three men with the skates of the night, IMO, were Jason, Andrew T., and Sean. What brave new world is this that hath such wonders in it :hap85:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ I've heard Johnny and Tara compliment Jason's skating several times. I think their best commentary often comes right after a skate ends, and Johnny gets a chance to elaborate specifically on what he thinks is good (not just about Jason, but others as well) and Tara doesn't interrupt.

I'm surprised by how much I enjoy Johnny's remarks. They're often insightful.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I finally got to watch the whole SP! This one of the best men's competitions I have seen for a long time. I was so happy to see Jason, Andrew, and Tomoki skate especially well, since all have struggled in parts of this season