2020 US Nationals: Pairs' Free Skate | Golden Skate

2020 US Nationals: Pairs' Free Skate

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexa Knierim and Christopher Knierim reclaimed their national title in Greensboro on Saturday night, maintaining first place despite a second-place finish in the free skate. Jessica Calalang and Brian Johnson, who were fifth last year, captured the silver, while Tarah Kayne and Danny O’Shea earned the bronze.

Knierim and Knierim weren’t perfect, but their second-place finish (139.09) in the free skate to “Experience” and “Drop of Fragrance” included a solid triple twist, throw triple loop and throw triple Lutz. The mistake came when Chris fell on the triple toes, and they also only landed double Salchows, but earned a level 4 on the death spiral, two lifts and the pair combination spin. The 2016 Four Continents silver medalists were able to main first overall after a total score of 216.15.

“Redemption always feels good,” said Alexa Knierim. “It was hard last year, being so low, but we worked hard and we hope this pushes us forward. We are elated to retain our title again. It’s quite an honor and we are proud of that accomplishment (third title), but it is not always about the label and the victory of the gold, sometimes it’s what got you there.”

More...

Did you watch the event? Which team(s) impressed you the most and why?

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Calalang/Johnson were robbed

They were WAY more then just 6.92 points better then the Knierim's in the free skate. The Knierim's were way over scored and weren't punished enough for the failure of their of sbs jumps. It even looks like they got positive goe for the sbs double salchows :palmf:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A real star turn from Calalang/Johnson, who have demonstrated lots of potential in previous competitions but never quite put it together like they did here.

I don't mind that the Knierims won; the short program matters too, and the Knierims' elements were excellent apart from the jumps.

Shame for Cain/LeDuc. I don't know if the issue with the death spiral that left them so far behind going into the free was a bit of a blow. None of their elements were terrible, but none were especially good either.

Denney & Frazier, sigh.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Calalang / Johnson are a new team, formed just before 2019 Nationals.

Jessica Calalang is an excellent Pairs skater who somehow never got matched up with the right partner. Then Brian Johnson lost his partner Chelsea LIU who decided to skate Pairs for China.
Jessica and Brian knew each other as they skated in the same coaching group, and they decided to skate together.

They have a lot of Pairs experience between them, so their partnership jelled really quickly. I was so thrilled for them winning silver, and I think they were thrilled, too, and didn't feel 'robbed'.

I am also glad the Knierims won---at 28 and 30, they probably won't continue past Beijing.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very happy for Alexa and Chris. They have ben though so much, and a comp is two programs: they deserve it!

Also I have always liked how forthright they are, and the article demonstrates it more: they know very well what their weaknesses are and don’t need the fans to tell them;) And that they encountered such financial difficulties in California:eek:

Sad for Ashley and Tim; this did not seem to be their comp:(

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Calalang and Johnson were magical. They created a moment, and they did it with a rather old-fashioned (to me) pairs concept, very lyrical and soulful. People all around me in the stands were disappointed that they didn't win the competition. The 6.0 system was more emotionally satisfying ... when a long program clicked and electrified the audience, that magical presentation counted more than points, the SP, etc. And a clean skate is intrinsically more satisfying ... C/J just built and built and thrilled!

And I still hear commentators (former skaters, in the know!) say you can't win the comp with a SP ... when clearly, you can, and many do! I'm happy for the Knierims, mostly because of the way they felt after their skates, and for their confidence going forward. Also, I'm really happy they changed the program. It's not my favorite of theirs, but I don't feel so scared for them on the lifts now.

I'm heartbroken for Ashley and Tim. But hey. Failure isn't the opposite of success. Failure is part of success. They'll learn from this experience and move forward and continue to be a world-class pair!

It's good to remember that C-G/L had the pressure of being the ones chased this competition ... and this whole year. It's a new dynamic for a (still) relatively new team (3rd season.) All the other recent US champions -- K/K, K/O, D/F (who've all been skating together as teams since 2012, or with D/F, longer) have also not been able to repeat as champions two years in a row. Not since Castelli/Shnapir in 2014.

Shame for Cain/LeDuc. I don't know if the issue with the death spiral that left them so far behind going into the free was a bit of a blow.

That's what I felt. But every experienced pair (esp. US!) has had bad days and lived to skate and Rise again. :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A real star turn from Calalang/Johnson, who have demonstrated lots of potential in previous competitions but never quite put it together like they did here.

I don't mind that the Knierims won; the short program matters too, and the Knierims' elements were excellent apart from the jumps.

Shame for Cain/LeDuc. I don't know if the issue with the death spiral that left them so far behind going into the free was a bit of a blow. None of their elements were terrible, but none were especially good either.

Denney & Frazier, sigh.

Comments can be closed now.

This post says it all.

slider11

Medalist
It will be interesting to see who gets the second spot for Worlds. Calalang and Johnson were terrific but as such a new team is this the time to throw them to Worlds? Who would be better? Are Knierims strong enough to hold at least a 13th ranking? I am a Denney/Frazier fan with their bronze GP performance. But I get that being 5th at Nationals might now get you the Worlds. I would suggest letting Cain/LeDuc, Kane/O'Shea and Denney/Frazier duke it out at 4Cs!

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
It will be interesting to see who gets the second spot for Worlds. Calalang and Johnson were terrific but as such a new team is this the time to throw them to Worlds? Who would be better? Are Knierims strong enough to hold at least a 13th ranking? I am a Denney/Frazier fan with their bronze GP performance. But I get that being 5th at Nationals might now get you the Worlds. I would suggest letting Cain/LeDuc, Kane/O'Shea and Denney/Frazier duke it out at 4Cs!

I was for places 2-4 fighting it out at 4CCs until i rechecked world rankings just now. With their win last month at the Zageb Senior B, Cain & LeDuc moved above all U.S. pairs to be the only ones in the world Top 10. And Calalang-Johnson are quite low & would get very poor seeding for the SP. Since the aim of World Team selection is to have the best chance at top results (and earning three Worlds spots), the team should be the Kneirims & C-G/L.

ETA: Looks like the committee agreed with me; C-G/L are going to worlds!

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...world-junior-teams-and-world-junior-camp.aspx

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Then Brian Johnson lost his partner Chelsea LIU who decided to skate Pairs for China. ...

The end of the Liu/Johnson partnership had nothing to do with China.

And AFAIK, no information ever was released about the reason(s) for the end of the L/J partnership, so I would not say that one of the partners "lost" the other.

After the end of the Liu/Johnson partnership, Chelsea's next partner was Ian Meyh.
Liu/Meyh competed for Team USA before the L/M partnership ended.

Calalang / Johnson are a new team, formed just before 2019 Nationals. ...

Not really "just before"? C/J competed at 2018 Autumn Classic.

Anyway, big congratulations to Jessica and Brian. :yay:

Good luck to them and to all of Team USA at Four Continents.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm so happy for Alexa and Chris. And I have to agree with Tara (OMG the sky is falling, the sky is falling) that the Knierems have the best chance of competing internationally of any of the US teams. However, having said that, Jessica and Brian have a great career ahead of them to have come so far in such a short time. Ashley and Tim have always looked awkward to me - whether it's the closeness in their size or the bodysuits she wears or something. Just never warmed up to them.