2020 US Nationals: Free Dance | Golden Skate

2020 US Nationals: Free Dance

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2019 U.S. National silver medalists Madison Chock and Evan Bates maintained their lead after the Free Dance in Greensboro, N.C., to reclaim the national title on Saturday. Defending champions Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue finished in second, followed by Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker who also took bronze last year. Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko moved up one spot from last year to pocket the pewter.

Chock and Bates were impressive in their enchanting Egyptian snake dance routine, staying in character throughout. The 2019 Four Continents champions received both the highest technical and component scores of the group, displaying level 4 spins, lifts, twizzles and solid level 3 circular steps. All elements received very high grades of execution (GOE) and the team scored 134.23 points for first in the free dance. Their total score was 221.86.

“It was a good night,” said Chock. “We are very happy to be back in Greensboro, and we had a great skate tonight. We performed, and that was our goal, to have a good performance. We really enjoyed ourselves, and we are just so thrilled.”

More...

What are your thoughts on the Ice Dance event? Did the judges get it right? Who do you feel has shown the most improvement this season?

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chock / Bates went right on being the major crowd-pleaser at Nationals, just as they have been during the GP. They just get better and better with every performance. A deserved win.

But I also have to say that Hubbell/Donohue skated their FD the best I've seen from them, so it wasn't necessarily an easy win for C/B. H/D finally gave some real meaning to their program.

I felt bad for McNamara / Carpenter, who have had a terrible season, with injury and practice time lost. They looked so miserable in the KnC.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I am really happy about Madison and Evan's win. At first I wasn't their biggest fan, but they won me over with trying different styles every season and not sticking to subtle variations about the same kind of music. Their Egyptian FD is my favourite this year and I would love to see them win the Worlds.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chock / Bates went right on being the major crowd-pleaser at Nationals, just as they have been during the GP. They just get better and better with every performance. A deserved win.

But I also have to say that Hubbell/Donohue skated their FD the best I've seen from them, so it wasn't necessarily an easy win for C/B. H/D finally gave some real meaning to their program.

I felt bad for McNamara / Carpenter, who have had a terrible season, with injury and practice time lost. They looked so miserable in the KnC.

All of this.

Also, I had hopes for C/P. I thought the bronze was achievable before the competition started. Too bad about the Character Steps, but I'm glad for their sake it wasn't the determining factor. H/B deserved their placement, even if I don't personally like the program.

larat

On the Ice
I liked H/D program and performance much better than C/B at this Nationals. I was hoping for C/P to be the third but agree that H/B deserved it this time. C/P time will come. I am very happy for G/P. Green is amazing at her age.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hawayek and Baker are my favorite American dance team (currently competing) so I'm happy they won the bronze medal. I do also like C/P so I'm glad they managed to get the pewter medal despite the mistake. Once C/B and H/D retire, it's going to be very interesting among all our younger teams. G/P have matured as a team quickly and I can't forget about M/C who have great skills but their programs aren't top calibre. Oh and I mustn't forget about the recently crowned US junior champions. Trying to predict the ranking of all these teams after 2022 is just about impossible.

FlyingFeather

On the Ice
Trying to predict the ranking of all these teams after 2022 is just about impossible.

Which makes US ID all the more fun!

C/B deserved the gold, but H/D had their best FD performance of the season. I never connected to the story (of a movie I have never watched) until this performance.

I thought the crowd was great. They were enthusiastic and supportive of all the teams. Good job, Greensboro.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hawayek and Baker are my favorite American dance team (currently competing) so I'm happy they won the bronze medal. I do also like C/P so I'm glad they managed to get the pewter medal despite the mistake. Once C/B and H/D retire, it's going to be very interesting among all our younger teams. G/P have matured as a team quickly and I can't forget about M/C who have great skills but their programs aren't top calibre. Oh and I mustn't forget about the recently crowned US junior champions. Trying to predict the ranking of all these teams after 2022 is just about impossible.

Thank you. I think you are one of two, the other being me. I felt pretty bad for them this morning at FOFS. There wasn’t really a line and eventually they went and sat at a table and then just left. I don’t get it. She has ice presence like no other and I’m told by those in the know that he has great partnering skills. They had substandard (IMHO) choreography for the free but that isn’t their fault. I just wish I could rescue them from Montreal. Although they did get a standing ovation.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks, Moonvine, but while Montreal may not be ideal for H/B, I think it's an improvement over their last coaching team of Angelika Krylova. Their twizzles look more solid now and they seem to be skating faster, with more attack as Tanith commented. If they left where would they go? To Marina Zueva or Shpilband? I think having all three top American dance teams in one coaching place is a wee bit crowded.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, Moonvine, but while Montreal may not be ideal for H/B, I think it's an improvement over their last coaching team of Angelika Krylova. Their twizzles look more solid now and they seem to be skating faster, with more attack as Tanith commented. If they left where would they go? To Marina Zueva or Shpilband? I think having all three top American dance teams in one coaching place is a wee bit crowded.

People keep asking where they would go. I don’t know, but I don’t feel they are in a good place judging by their skating and choreography. There have to be other places. The answer for every top team and upcoming team in every country (Britain, France, everywhere except Russia I think) can not possibly go there. They got bad (imho and in many people’s opinions) choreography this year.

This is my favorite performance. Most importantly, they were HAPPY. I don’t want to ever see that shell shocked, dismayed, confused look on my Kaitlyn’s face ever again. Ever. It’s one thing if you know you’ve done poorly...

Anyway I want to see her this happy again (and they nailed the twizzles. Even per Charlie. https://twitter.com/riverofchange/status/1221522580378615811?s=21

moon

On the Ice
I think that Jean Luc Baker is one of the best male icedancers in the world right now. His edges, knee bend, agility, ability to dance to many different styles as well as his acting which can be comical to subtle. Not many men have all these attributes. His strengths are sometimes overshadowed by his petiteness but I think if the team can continue to be consistent and if Kaitlyn continues to improve they will do well. They will need to be very smart about their music and choreography.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Sad for the WISA teams--they are so well trained and the mistakes were so unexpected. But wow--for Michael and Caroline to perform like this in their first season together--I look forward to the next ones...

skatemd1

On the Ice
I liked H/D program and performance much better than C/B at this Nationals. I was hoping for C/P to be the third but agree that H/B deserved it this time. C/P time will come. I am very happy for G/P. Green is amazing at her age.

C/B and H/D brought the goods in both programs, really fun to watch, and I always love H/B, but C/B's snake dance was in a class by itself. H/B's disco SD was the other real show-stopper. I was also extremely impressed with just how good Green/Parsons have gotten in such a short time skating together. Wow. If not for that freaky fall in the FD, they would have had a shot at 4th, even though C/P were great too and continue to deliver strong programs every time out. All the younger teams seem to be really coming on strong (and, yes, M/C had a tough night, but they usually are strong too). The next couple years are going to be interesting!!!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that Jean Luc Baker is one of the best male icedancers in the world right now. His edges, knee bend, agility, ability to dance to many different styles as well as his acting which can be comical to subtle. Not many men have all these attributes. His strengths are sometimes overshadowed by his petiteness but I think if the team can continue to be consistent and if Kaitlyn continues to improve they will do well. They will need to be very smart about their music and choreography.

I don’t think they’re given a choice in their music or choreography (I could of course be wrong). Would they really choose something they tried valiantly to explain (the long dance) but clearly didn’t understand themselves? I just hope Canada deigns to give them better choreography next year.

slider11

Medalist
Thank you. I think you are one of two, the other being me. I felt pretty bad for them this morning at FOFS. There wasn’t really a line and eventually they went and sat at a table and then just left. I don’t get it. She has ice presence like no other and I’m told by those in the know that he has great partnering skills. They had substandard (IMHO) choreography for the free but that isn’t their fault. I just wish I could rescue them from Montreal. Although they did get a standing ovation.

I, too, am a fan of Hawayek and Baker. That FD took some time to absorb but I think they did a great job last night. I was disappointed with the 118 score but it got them third. I know the Spanish/quirky classical thing was a good stretch for them but I think their strength is with the lyrical pieces that show off their beautiful edges and glides. Kaitlin and Jean-Luc's exhibitions are always a hit so it is puzzling why they are not more of a fan favorite. I wonder how they would fare with Zueva or Shpilband?

Hawayak and Baker were the most entertaining, for me. Anyone who can concoct a program out of that music selection, my hat is off to them. :yes:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hawayak and Baker were the most entertaining, for me. Anyone who can concoct a program out of that music selection, my hat is off to them. :yes:

They were amazing and I love them as always.