Do I need new skates? | Golden Skate

Do I need new skates?

Hi!

So I'm 18 (5'2", 112lbs) and I just started skating in August 2019 and from August-December I would skate 2 days a week for 2 hours. Now in January, I have been skating 6 days a week for 1.5-3.5 hours each day. This entire time I have been skating on Jackson Mystique skates and currently I am in USFS Free skate 1.

Gradually my skates have started to look like this (see next post for link!) and I'm wondering if that's a sign that my skates are broken down and that they no longer provide support?

Sometimes when skating I have a hard time digging the blade in to stop (even after sharpening) and sometimes when skating fast the blades/my feet feel wobbly. I don't know if that's a skate issue or if that's just a personal inexperienced skater thing haha. I asked a coach at the rink about it and she said I should eventually upgrade but that there's no rush right now. I'm just looking for a second opinion on here!

Thanks!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yikes! Definitely time for new skates! Mystiques wouldn't be safe for your level and weight even if they were brand new.

Here's the guide if Jackson works for you, but you should see a professional figure skate fitter and get the proper brand and level.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
9-21 hours of skating per week at your level is A. LOT.

Your Mystiques are totally dead, please don't do any jumping in them.

If you like Jackson, you ought to be in in Debut. Appropriate for your level and also requires you to buy the blade separately. Your Mark II blades aren't appropriate for you anymore, either. At FS you should be in intermediate blades like MK Professional or Coronation Ace.

Nimyue

On the Ice
9-21 hours of skating per week at your level is A. LOT.

Your Mystiques are totally dead, please don't do any jumping in them.

If you like Jackson, you ought to be in in Debut. Appropriate for your level and also requires you to buy the blade separately. Your Mark II blades aren't appropriate for you anymore, either. At FS you should be in intermediate blades like MK Professional or Coronation Ace.

All of this. Debut Fusion Firm at minimum. Go see a fitter :biggrin:

And in the future, skating that much, you'll go through boots in about a yearish. Just the sweat from your feet will break them down over time. If your feet don't sweat a lot and you aren't jumping very big you might be a bit longer out of them.

The only folks I skate with whose boots last longer skate 1-2 per week at most, don't do a lot of jumping, and when they do jump, the jumps are more like hops.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Oh my days! From that picture, I'd question whether the boots even fit you properly. Do you have narrow feet..?

Go and get fitted properly and you'll enjoy skating even more. (Once you've broken them in... ;) )