From River Dance to Schindler's List | Golden Skate

From River Dance to Schindler's List

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This is going to be a bit of a fanfest post. Administrators feel free to move it to there (eventually) as long as you let it stay on 'the edge' for just a little while and let people react.

The first time I saw Jason Brown ((I've been following FS for more than 30 yrs, but not always watching the juniors closely or even the lower ranked skaters at a Nationals) was in 2014 when he had this fabulous programme to River Dance. There was this boy with a pony tail and a wonderful smile, who just made you want to join in. That was enjoyable. No quads, but to be fair, the quad revolution had begun quite some time ago but it wasn't all pervasive. We (as watchers) could still enjoy quad free programmes. I mean, I started following the men closely because of the quads and the athletiscism in that, but soon started to admire beautiful skating more. If it's combined it's the best ever, but I started to get away from that quad demand because I enjoyed Jason's skate so much.

I've followed him through the years, seen his struggles (and injuries) but also many more beautiful, well skated programmes. He always managed to deliver on the beautiful skating, even when the jumps were just not there for whatever reason. And then he came up with Schindler's list. I've seen the film, I've been impressed by the Auswitch memorial events, I've watched other skaters compete and perform to this music, but to me only Jason really does it justice. I won't go into the debate about costuming to such music or even into whether you should be mature to comprehend the music you're skating to (although Jason himself definitely does) but what I saw at his Nationals competition last weekend was just mind blowing. Oh, I acknowledge that Nathan was better technically and also is a very good skater (people who say Nathan's skating is just about jumps are wrong) but it was Jason's performance that really made me cry. And again (after numerous rewatches), and again. Tracy Wilson summarised it quite succinctly: you are very special. He is. There aren't that many skaters who can put so much authentic emotion into a programme. Jason can. I'm starting to sniff again by just stating this.

Please respond...but if you're going to go into his 'lack of a quad' (although he did one albeit underrotated and two footed), then please let it go. I won't be interested. Another time maybe, not now. Just so impressed.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hard opinions follow:

The thing that struck me most about both of these programs was that they gave me a new perspective on Jason, both as an athlete and as a person.

Riverdance was great... the joy, the exuberance of the program, the boyish wonder, the open-mouthed gaping in the Kiss and Cry. It was sweet and, gosh, who couldn't just love it.

By the time we got thru Juke and Hamilton, the programs seemed dated, like rehashes, and the shtick was immature and annoying. The boy was still a boy, and I was disinterested in his skating development and in him personally. Prince was a little better, but it still had the feel of a child wearing Daddy's boots.

This year at Nationals, I saw a mature, confident athlete, someone with something fresh and genuine to offer in terms of artistic point of view, technique, and delivery of the programs. He didn't need the schlock, because this year he had the goods. No strange and childish costuming choices, no playing to tween girls in the Kiss and Cry. The boy has become a man, and it's about time.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was at 2014 Nats and saw River Dance, and that completely drew me back into avidly following skating again. I had been watching for years but had been on hiatus for a while. I've seen Jason many times live, and he never ceases to amaze me. I have such respect for him. In an era that started becoming "If you're going to do one quad - I'll do two, if you do two - I'll do three, etc. etc.", I'm sure this has not been easy for him. At a certain point, the decision to just be himself and play his own game was probably a tough (but wise!) one.

I loved seeing Schindler's List live at Sk Amer, and it seemed even better at Nats! I am going to Worlds so am thrilled to see SL again and look forward to seeing how it has evolved...And he IS the real deal -- super nice guy who is high on life. I am very proud of how he represents the U.S.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/39/14/9b39141807d1664f3fbbdd71965b5d9b.jpg

Makemi

Rinkside
Thank you for making this thread. Jason's Riverdance has a special place in my heart because it (and Jason himself) was what brought me back to figure skating. Prior to that I was a super casual, tuned in for the Olympics and a Nationals and Worlds here and there but not more than that. Then I happened to catch 2014 US Nationals on TV and was completely blown away. The smiling boy with the ponytail and energetic steps and beautiful spins... I was a fan and suddenly I was watching figure skating again. A LOT of figure skating. This performance is the one that I always show people when they ask about figure skating. In fact I have a college friend who knew nothing of figure skating except for Yuri on Ice. So I showed her Jason's Riverdance. Needless to say she's now bought NBC's Figure Skating gold pass, we have watch parties for every figure skating competition and now we're going to Montreal together! She and I were both in tears watching Jason's Schindler's List.

It's been a hard road for Jason. Against all the nay-sayers, the "when is he going to get a quad?!" and the negativity... I am so proud that he has forged on and stuck to his own brand of skating. As Tracy always says, Jason is needed in this sport. He is proof that figure skating is not all about jumps and there is still yet room for beautiful skating. Thank you Jason, thank you for being you.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am delighting in this thread.

So many were brought back to skating by Riverdance, but for me, Riverdance was the first time I got to jump up and shout "See?! See! I told you this kid was special!" I ripped the video of the first ever performance of Riverdance - with doubles, as he always did then - from the Broadmoor Open live stream, and got my first naughty-corner sit from Youtube for it, but not before it garnered 8000 views in four days.

In those days, too, the triple Axel was shiny and new; he'd only landed his first one in competition the previous season. We called it the moon landing, for there were too many who claimed he would never land it, or never be consistent with it. I never stopped believing he would.

The joy he has given me this weekend has not faded and will stay with me for some time.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for your thoughts, Lady Jane, and for those of everyone else who posted.

I am another of the ā€œbrought back to figure skating by Jasonā€™s Riverdanceā€ club (our numbers are legion. For that alone, Jason should get some sort of award ;) )

Jason has a gift. It canā€™t be replicated, learned or taught. And when the gift is given the right vehicle, like Riverdance, or Schindlerā€™s List, *that* is figure skating.

And we are the lucky ones who get to see it. :yes:

TeeSaurus

Rinkside
Hard opinions follow...
... the shtick was immature and annoying.
The boy was still a boy, and I was disinterested in his skating development and in him personally.
Prince was a little better, but it still had the feel of a child wearing Daddy's boots
No strange and childish costuming choices, no playing to tween girls in the Kiss and Cry.
The boy has become a man, and it's about time.

You could have voiced your opinion in a graceful way, complimenting his artistic maturity, but instead chose to be gratuitously agressive and mean.

How a skater expresses himself on the ice has little to do with being or becoming a man and there is nothing inherently wrong with being a child, or being childish or playful even as an adult.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You could have voiced your opinion in a graceful way, complimenting his artistic maturity, but instead chose to be gratuitously agressive and mean.

How a skater expresses himself on the ice has little to do with being or becoming a man and there is nothing inherently wrong with being a child, or being childish or playful even as an adult.

Thank you for your feedback. You're not far off the mark.

Generally speaking, I am ungraceful, gratuitously aggressive, and mean.

My point was that his Nationals performances renewed my interest and appreciation for his skating. Given my former exasperation and impatience with Jason, it is a resounding statement about the quality of the technique and the depth of emotion he delivered.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you for your thoughts, Lady Jane, and for those of everyone else who posted.

I am another of the ā€œbrought back to figure skating by Jasonā€™s Riverdanceā€ club (our numbers are legion. For that alone, Jason should get some sort of award ;) )

Jason has a gift. It canā€™t be replicated, learned or taught. And when the gift is given the right vehicle, like Riverdance, or Schindlerā€™s List, *that* is figure skating.

And we are the lucky ones who get to see it. :yes:

Thank you, El Henry - you've described my experience and thoughts exactly.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
By the time we got thru Juke and Hamilton, the programs seemed dated, like rehashes, and the shtick was immature and annoying. The boy was still a boy, and I was disinterested in his skating development and in him personally. Prince was a little better, but it still had the feel of a child wearing Daddy's boots.

This year at Nationals, I saw a mature, confident athlete, someone with something fresh and genuine to offer in terms of artistic point of view, technique, and delivery of the programs. He didn't need the schlock, because this year he had the goods. No strange and childish costuming choices, no playing to tween girls in the Kiss and Cry. The boy has become a man, and it's about time.

Imagine coming into a thread where everyone is happy for Jason and posting something nasty like this.

Imagine insisting that a skater who has been the age of majority for seven years was not really a man because he dares to wear his heart on his sleeve and let his joy and love of skating show.

Imagine disliking Jason Brown as a person because he happens to be excitable, sweet, and smiling, and lets his emotions show.

God, with thinking like that, I'm surprised you liked his reactions at all, since he cried and everything. After bouncing, squealing, waving and blowing kisses all the way off the ice. :rolleye:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Imagine coming into a thread where everyone is happy for Jason and posting something nasty like this.

Imagine insisting that a skater who has been the age of majority for seven years was not really a man because he dares to wear his heart on his sleeve and let his joy and love of skating show.

Imagine disliking Jason Brown as a person because he happens to be excitable, sweet, and smiling, and lets his emotions show.

God, with thinking like that, I'm surprised you liked his reactions at all, since he cried and everything. After bouncing, squealing, waving and blowing kisses all the way off the ice. :rolleye:

I voice an opinion. You are entitled to disagree with it, as you clearly do.

But, to correct the record, I never said I disliked Jason Brown as a person. I said I was disinterested. Rarely do I invest the energy to actively dislike someone I don't know.

I will say this. The larger point has been missed. I had disengaged from his skating; now I'm interested.

I'm waiting for 4CC with some anticipation. Will that 4T get around this time... because the one I saw in practice would raise his score about 8 points? Will the emotional intensity be sustained and repeated? Is the move to Cricket Club finally paying off with a stronger competition mindset? Can he deliver those kinds of performances on such a short turnaround... something I think would be incredible?

Two weeks ago, I wouldn't have cared. Now he's given me a reason to care. Your disapproval of why I lost interest or why I look forward to his next outing is nice to know, but irrelevant.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I voice an opinion. You are entitled to disagree with it, as you clearly do.

But, to correct the record, I never said I disliked Jason Brown as a person. I said I was disinterested. Rarely do I invest the energy to actively dislike someone I don't know.

I will say this. The larger point has been missed. I had disengaged from his skating; now I'm interested.

I'm waiting for 4CC with some anticipation. Will that 4T get around this time... because the one I saw in practice would raise his score about 8 points? Will the emotional intensity be sustained and repeated? Is the move to Cricket Club finally paying off with a stronger competition mindset? Can he deliver those kinds of performances on such a short turnaround... something I think would be incredible?

Two weeks ago, I wouldn't have cared. Now he's given me a reason to care. Your disapproval of why I lost interest or why I look forward to his next outing is nice to know, but irrelevant.

I think I understand what you are saying because I feel similarly about Vincent. Heā€™s always struck me as a lovely kid but his skating always seemed like skating between jumps. This year I actually enjoyed his skating, now Iā€™m curious to see if he can keep the same performance quality while increasing his tech content. Itā€™s fun when skaters surprise us.

Back to Jason, the maturity in his skating the past 2 years has really evolved. He was always an amazing performer but now he commands the ice with his movement. I can really see Tracyā€™s influence in his skating. I think itā€™s pretty clear that changing coaches is paying off. I am so excited to see him continue to evolve.

Ross74

Medalist
Short story. I'm a long-time skating fan, but had gotten away from it during the 2000's. Having spent many years in the Irish dance world, I happened to see a video of 2014 US Nats Riverdance on facebook right after it happened. I was amazed by that performance, both the complexity of the choreography and the excellent skating. I became a fan of Jason at that time, and it brought my love of skating in general back. I sent the link to all my Irish dance friends and many of them became new skating fans and still are today, travelling to competitions. I'm just amazed by his skating in general and look forward to seeing where it takes him. Thanks for the thread!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I understand what you are saying because I feel similarly about Vincent. Heā€™s always struck me as a lovely kid but his skating always seemed like skating between jumps. This year I actually enjoyed his skating, now Iā€™m curious to see if he can keep the same performance quality while increasing his tech content. Itā€™s fun when skaters surprise us.

Back to Jason, the maturity in his skating the past 2 years has really evolved. He was always an amazing performer but now he commands the ice with his movement. I can really see Tracyā€™s influence in his skating. I think itā€™s pretty clear that changing coaches is paying off. I am so excited to see him continue to evolve.

Thank you. You get it.

The title of the the thread... From... To... implies a journey. I've told the story of my relationship and reactions to his skating and performances, so far. The ups, the downs. My honest opinion of the past, my astonishment at the present, my hopes for the future. This isn't a rah-rah fan fest thread.

I'm not sure why "Jason skeptic finds new appreciation and respect because of exquisite performances " is somehow less relevant to the discussion than "Ride-or-die Jason fans love his programs."

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To bring it back to Jason, I originally came to GS forum because I was such a fan of him and Ashley Wagner, since seeing them both at Skate America in 2013.

I'm so thrilled to see Jason fulfilling what we've all known he's capable of. He and Tracy Wilson are a match made in heaven. On another level, it's very satisfying to see the way she advocated for him in TCC with Orser, and to see such absolutely brilliant results. :love::hap93:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
To bring it back to Jason, I originally came to GS forum because I was such a fan of him and Ashley Wagner, since seeing them both at Skate America in 2013.

I'm so thrilled to see Jason fulfilling what we've all known he's capable of. He and Tracy Wilson are a match made in heaven. On another level, it's very satisfying to see the way she advocated for him in TCC with Orser, and to see such absolutely brilliant results. :love::hap93:

One of my favorite things about Jason's tenure at TCC is how in Brian's eyes he went from Tracy's new puppy, to a valuable member of the team. But Tracy knew from Day One that Jason would be a valuable member of the team and that his skills were special. They have become a great team. Add in Ro and the end result will be brilliance. We just saw that!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it a positive thing Jason is doing 4CC. It will allow him to build momentum. I like it. Get the quad to UR instead of << in front of an international panel, hopefully put out two clean skates to build PCS ahead of Worlds. See if he can force an international panel to recognise his true PCS genius.

YagsFan

On the Ice
ladyjane: I gave you a thumbs up on your post (and for starting this thread!), but that's not enough----you have said just about everything I think and have been thinking about Jason since 2015 also. I do marvel at the sheer athleticism of those who can and do perform all of those quads, and especially at those who do those well and also manage to skate interestingly and well in between (like Nathan), but, for me, if there were no Jasons in the mix(and he is the #1 example), figure skating might just loose its appeal for me. There are plenty of other sports I enjoy for the technical thrills, but I want figure skating to be beautiful and meaningful.
Thank you, Jason Brown!

YagsFan

On the Ice
I am so proud that he has forged on and stuck to his own brand of skating. As Tracy always says, Jason is needed in this sport. He is proof that figure skating is not all about jumps and there is still yet room for beautiful skating. Thank you Jason, thank you for being you.

Makemi: Amen!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I might be in the minority. I like Jason's older programs than the ones from this season and last season. His programs now feel more modern, but have also become more generic with less dance moves and transitions. Riverdance was great, but my fav is actually the "Inner Love" LP from the first half of 2017-2018 season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFr7kZQ8W84

The music was specifically made for the program, and the program is more like a demanding ice dance program. I could see it was quite challenging so Jason had to switch to his old LP by US nationals in order to get qualified for the Olympics.