Ted Barton will cover Russian jr.Nat from Saransk | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ted Barton will cover Russian jr.Nat from Saransk

LadyB

Record Breaker
Bavarian what?

Bavarian Open - Lorry loads of Mozer-trained teams plus Mishina Gallyamov and Stephen Gogolev. :rock:

I'm getting ready for a very hectic, but thoroughly enjoyable week!!! Looking forward to travel the world again with you, my lovely golden skaters! :peace:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
COMPETITION SCHEDULE (local time, GMT+3)

Feb. 6
Men’s Short: 2 — 4:30 p.m.
Ladies Short: 5:30 — 8 p.m.
Rhythm Dance: 8:15 — 10:55 p.m.

Feb. 7
Men’s Free: 2 — 4:45 p.m.
Pairs Short: 5 — 6:45 p.m.
Ladies Free: 7 — 9:45 p.m.

Feb. 8
Free Dance: 12 — 3 p.m.
Pairs Free: 3:15 — 5:15 p.m.

lpt

On the Ice
Ladies' list is oficially announced. Vasilyeva, Tarakanova and Kisel are WD.

Valieva
Usacheva
Sinitsyna
Frolova
Khromykh
Samodelkina
Akatyeva
Berestovskaya
Petrosyan
Muravyova
Sultanmagomedova
Zakharova
Vaitkus
Gorbacheva
Moroz
Osokina
Ryabinina
Baranova

lpt

On the Ice
Good luck Ted with the pronounciations. :laugh:

(it's actually not that hard if he prepares himself before, or he listens the announcer)

I can help!

Valieva [vɐlʲˈijɪvɐ]
Usacheva [ʊsɐt͡ɕˈovɐ]
Sinitsyna [sʲɪnʲˈit͡sɪnɐ]
Frolova [frɐlˈovɐ]
Khromykh [xrɐmˈɨx]
Samodelkina [sɐmɐdʲˈelkʲɪnɐ]
Akatyeva [ɐkˈatʲjɪvɐ]
Berestovskaya [bʲɪrʲɪstˈovskɐjɐ]
Petrosyan [pʲɪtrɐsʲˈan]
Muravyova [mʊrɐvʲjˈovɐ]
Sultanmagomedova [sʊltˈan mɐgɐmʲˈedɐvɐ]
Zakharova [zɐxˈarɐvɐ]
Vaitkus [vˈajtkʊs]
Gorbacheva [gɐrbɐt͡ɕˈovɐ]
Moroz [mɐrˈos]
Osokina [ɐsˈokʲɪnɐ]
Ryabinina [rʲɪbˈinʲɪnɐ]
Baranova [bɐrˈanɐvɐ]

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I can help!

Valieva [vɐlʲˈijɪvɐ]
Usacheva [ʊsɐt͡ɕˈovɐ]
Sinitsyna [sʲɪnʲˈit͡sɪnɐ]
Frolova [frɐlˈovɐ]
Khromykh [xrɐmˈɨx]
Samodelkina [sɐmɐdʲˈelkʲɪnɐ]
Akatyeva [ɐkˈatʲjɪvɐ]
Berestovskaya [bʲɪrʲɪstˈovskɐjɐ]
Petrosyan [pʲɪtrɐsʲˈan]
Muravyova [mʊrɐvʲjˈovɐ]
Sultanmagomedova [sʊltˈan mɐgɐmʲˈedɐvɐ]
Zakharova [zɐxˈarɐvɐ]
Vaitkus [vˈajtkʊs]
Gorbacheva [gɐrbɐt͡ɕˈovɐ]
Moroz [mɐrˈos]
Osokina [ɐsˈokʲɪnɐ]
Ryabinina [rʲɪbˈinʲɪnɐ]
Baranova [bɐrˈanɐvɐ]

LOL, never understood those phonetics, even though my Russian-English dictionary is full of them ....

Anyway, Ted will probably struggle with the names, but he only has to visit a training and have the skaters speak their names clearly to him to remember. None of the girls will refuse this from Ted ...

icetug

Medalist
Ted will probably struggle with the names, but he only has to visit a training and have the skaters speak their names clearly to him to remember. None of the girls will refuse this from Ted ...

It's not that easy :D. However I can imagine Ted practicing the pronunciation the night before a broadcast. There will be very likely vodka enough for him to succeed ;).
And I would divide Sultanmagomedova name into: Sultan [also Sultan in English] - Magomed [Mohammet] - ova [common female name ending] to make it easy to remember :)

icetug

Medalist
Ladies' list is oficially announced. Vasilyeva, Tarakanova and Kisel are WD.

Valieva
Usacheva
Sinitsyna
Frolova
Khromykh
Samodelkina
Akatyeva
Berestovskaya
Petrosyan
Muravyova
Sultanmagomedova
Zakharova
Vaitkus
Gorbacheva
Moroz
Osokina
Ryabinina
Baranova

How many of them are age eligible for Jr Worlds?

DenissVFan

Medalist
When it comes to pronunciation, I think the easiest and most effective solution would be to ask skaters to record their own pronunciation of their name and upload it to their ISU bio, so that the commentator could listen to it and try to replicate it to the best of their ability. I think that what is lacking is this easily available database. Of course it wouldn't miraculously cause all the names to be pronounced perfectly but I think it'd help a lot.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Google Translate has a pronounciating feature that works pretty well.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
When it comes to pronunciation, I think the easiest and most effective solution would be to ask skaters to record their own pronunciation of their name and upload it to their ISU bio, so that the commentator could listen to it and try to replicate it to the best of their ability. I think that what is lacking is this easily available database. Of course it wouldn't miraculously cause all the names to be pronounced perfectly but I think it'd help a lot.

I sent Ted recordings of our skaters' names during the JGP, while he never got Jeongeun and Yeonjeong (understandably) and Jihun (I was admittedly a bit frustrated) he got Haein right and struggled less on Seoyoung and Seoyeon after I did so. This was just me as a single person, an ISU database would help immensely. But for now, I encourage Russian speakers to send recordings to our poor Ted. I still remember clearly how he struggled with Sonya Tyutyunina's name and she's competing here, he could use the help.

And while I commend lpt for writing the IPA out for all those names, sadly not all people can read the IPA. I think a phonetic respelling would be of better help (e.g. Sultanmagomedova - sool-TAN-ma-go-MYE-dova)

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Well, pronunciation of Russian names are quite tricky. It is not simply a matter of looking at how the name is written. The intonations pretty often differ from what the foreign non Russian speakers would imagine. Early on in their careers Medvedeva and Zagitova for example, were often pronounced incorrectly (Medve-DEH-va, instead of Med-VEH-dyeva, Zagi-TOH-va, instead of Za-GEE-tova). Almost no one knows how "Plushenko" is actually pronounced in Russian (PLYOO-shenka). So we ought to cut a slack for Ted at least a little :biggrin:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Well, pronunciation of Russian names are quite tricky. It is not simply a matter of looking at how the name is written. The intonations pretty often differ from what the foreign non Russian speakers would imagine. Early on in their careers Medvedeva and Zagitova for example, were often pronounced incorrectly (Medve-DEH-va, instead of Med-VEH-dyeva, Zagi-TOH-va, instead of Za-GEE-tova). Almost no one knows how "Plushenko" is actually pronounced in Russian (PLYOO-shenka). So we ought to cut a slack for Ted at least a little :biggrin:

Of course, it'd be unrealistic to expect Ted to get them 100%, but it'd be nice for both Ted and us fans listening for him to get close. Hence the need for recordings and/or pronunciation guidelines. Ted, in all his sweetness, tries to get the names right, I just want him to have some help. Like, Korean names are not the easiest names to pronounce for an English speaker (mostly due to the transliteration rules being out of whack but that's a whole different topic), but after I sent him a recording he stopped calling my little phoenix 'haa-in'. And he started pronouncing 'Alena' correctly (well, as correctly as you can in an English context) after a Russian speaker sent him an email. Any Russian-speaking GSers who can send him recordings available here?

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Of course, it'd be unrealistic to expect Ted to get them 100%, but it'd be nice for both Ted and us fans listening for him to get close. Hence the need for recordings and/or pronunciation guidelines. Ted, in all his sweetness, tries to get the names right, I just want him to have some help. Like, Korean names are not the easiest names to pronounce for an English speaker (mostly due to the transliteration rules being out of whack but that's a whole different topic), but after I sent him a recording he stopped calling my little phoenix 'haa-in'. And he started pronouncing 'Alena' correctly (well, as correctly as you can in an English context) after a Russian speaker sent him an email. Any Russian-speaking GSers who can send him recordings available here?

Indeed. Spelling her name as "Alena" is quite misleading, the two dots above e changes the whole thing (although it might look like an insignificant variation). Her official name should be spelled Aljona, or Alyona, like that of Ms. Savchenko. Listening to the ISU guy during the Euros, one might have imagined her as "Elena Kostornaia" :palmf:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Indeed. Spelling her name as "Alena" is quite misleading, the two dots above e changes the whole thing (although it might look like an insignificant variation). Her official name should be spelled Aljona, or Alyona, like that of Ms. Savchenko. Listening to the ISU guy during the Euros, one might have imagined her as "Elena Kostornaia" :palmf:

Although I totally agree with the point you are making, you have picked an unfortunate comparison.

Firstly, Mrs. Cross is Ukrainian. Although you are correct that it is the same first name as Miss Kostornaia, there are slight differences in the spelling between Ukrainian and Russian:

• Олена (Ukrainian)
  • Алёна (Russian)

Secondly, the way words are transliterated from Cyrillic characters to Latin characters varies depending on how letters are pronounced in the language it is being transliterated into. And in this case, the name used on her ISU Bio is actually a mixture of the German and English translations. The German transliteration is used for her first name, while the English transliteration is used for her surname.

• The German transliteration is Aljona Sawtschenko.
  • The English transliteration is Alyona (or Aliona) Savchenko.

This is also why Юлия Щетинина, the Russian Pairs skater who is based in Switzerland, has such a complicated spelling on her ISU Bio. Because it has been transliterated the French way, resulting in Ioulia Chtchetinina. If it had been transliterated the English way, it would be Yulia Schetinina.

And I bet the commentators would cope much better if they were looking at that spelling! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

lpt

On the Ice
Savchenko and Kostornaia's first names are exactly the same - [ɐlʲˈonɐ]

Ross74

Medalist

This is true as far as pronunciation goes, but there is no standard transliteration. I used to do Russian => English translations for my job in the U.S., and the transliteration chart we were required to use did not differentiate between e and ё. Алёна would have been transliterated on paper as Alena. I do hope Ted will be able to pronounce Saransk correctly. My ears were reeling from the way he butchered Chelyabinsk.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Savchenko and Kostornaia first names are exactly the same - [ɐlʲˈonɐ]

Yes, that is the point we are trying to make. The pronounciations of the names when written in Cyrillic characters are the same for the two skaters, so the pronounciations of the names when written in Latin characters should be the same too.

But, I am just pointing out that the two skaters do not spell their names in Cyrillic characters the same way, due to them being in different languages. But, that is nothing strange. You get that in Latin character languages too. For example, Catherine in English, and Katherine in German. Same name, but different spelling.

CaroLiza_fan