Ted Barton will cover Russian jr.Nat from Saransk | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ted Barton will cover Russian jr.Nat from Saransk

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I hope that Ted does another interview with Eteri or a member of Team Tutberidze. He did such a good job with his interview with Eteri, I want to see another one!!:laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I don't know how Savchenko spells her name in Cyrillic characters. I don't think Ukrainian is her native language since her interviews to Ukrainian TV channels are in Russian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_CiWhLIes.

Mmmm. Interesting. I knew Volosozhar was born in the Ukraine to a Russian family, but I was always under the impression that Savchenko was actually Ukrainian.

I suppose it's not unusual for people from former Soviet countries to be bi-lingual, in their own language and in Russian. But, it does seem strange for her to be speaking Russian on Ukrainian TV. So, you may be onto something.

As for the Cyrillic spelling of Aljona's name, I took that from the Wikipedia page about her. I see that it is spelt yet another different way on the graphic on that video. :drama:

So, who knows! :confused2:

CaroLiza_fan

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, that is the point we are trying to make. The pronounciations of the names when written in Cyrillic characters are the same for the two skaters, so the pronounciations of the names when written in Latin characters should be the same too.

But, I am just pointing out that the two skaters do not spell their names in Cyrillic characters the same way, due to them being in different languages. But, that is nothing strange. You get that in Latin character languages too. For example, Catherine in English, and Katherine in German. Same name, but different spelling.

CaroLiza_fan

Russians spell vowels and semivowels differently when transliterated. It seems that using ‘i’ in place of y and j became more common of late, maybe because it doesn’t stand out as much. Over the years, the insistency on Ye vs E in names like Yekaterina and Yelena where the letter in Cyrillic is the same as Latin, but the sound is different, also showed up.

Where Russians tended to add ‘A’ to the foreign names to make them easier on the Russian ears back when Christian names were adopted, Ukrainians went for ‘O’...

lpt

On the Ice
Where Russians tended to add ‘A’ to the foreign names to make them easier on the Russian ears back when Christian names were adopted, Ukrainians went for ‘O’...
Since this vowels are not stressed it doesn't make any difference nowadays.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Thanks do you know who are their coach?

Yelizaveta Khudayberdiyeva was born on October 2, 2002 in the city of Mytishchi, Moscow Region. At the age of four, she began to learn to skate. At first, she practiced solo skating, then she switched to ice dance. Starting from the 2016-17 season, she performed in tandem with Nikita Nazarov, under the guidance of coaches Denis Samokhin and Mariya Borovikova.

Khudayberdiyeva’s international youth debut took place in January 2017 at The Mentor Nestlé Nesquik Toruń Cup, where the duo won a gold medal. At the championship of Russia among juniors they became eighth.

Khudayberdiyeva and her partner received their first ISU Junior Grand Prix appointments in the 2017-18 season. At the competitions in late August 2017 in Australia, they became bronze medalists, and in October of that year in Poland took second place. In Russia, they became fifth in the national junior championship in 2018, taking 2nd place in the short dance and 6th in the free program.

Yelizaveta Khudayberdiyeva and Nikita Nazarov in their JGP series in August 2018 won their first gold medal at competitions in Slovakia. At the second tournament in the Czech Republic, they won gold medals, taking first place both in rhythmic dance and in the free program. With two gold medals reached the final of the Junior Grand Prix in 2018-19.

In the JGP finals, Khudayberdiyeva and her partner won a bronze medal after placing 3rd in the rhythmic dance and 4th in the free program. In this competition, the skaters set their personal best with 164.54 points.

In the summer of 2019, Yelizaveta unexpectedly announced the splitting up of the duo. Instead of Nikita Nazarov, the figure skater paired up with Andrey Filatov and was not mistaken in her choice. Already on September 7, 2019, the new duo won the third stage of the junior series of the Grand Prix in figure skating, which took place in the Latvian city of Riga.

On October 5, 2019, Russian skaters Yelizaveta Khudayberdiyeva and Andrey Filatov won ice dancing at the final stage of the Junior Grand Prix. Competitions were held in the Italian commune of Enya. The Russians won with a score of 164.92 points.
----
From: https://ruspekh.ru/people/khudajberdieva-elizaveta-khasanzhonovna

Azikin

Medalist
Ted will struggle with many names ( Худайбердиева ;-)

Haha, it will sure be interesting. I wonder if he will get some help in case of some less known skaters that are difficult to pronounce.. ;)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Although I am very happy Ted will be commenting (he does it the right way, not during the skates), I suspect I'll be watching 4CC and the Bavarian Open Senior Skaters. I can't help but like Seniors better than Juniors. Even when it's the Russian Juniors (who are very good). Sorry Ted.

brakes

On the Ice
How many of them are age eligible for Jr Worlds?
Valieva
Usacheva
Sinitsyna
Frolova
Khromykh
Vaitkus
Two ultra-si in one clip from the Sof'ya's: https://www.tulup.ru/video/elm1920/mkc2020__leml_01.mp4 , Lisa Berestovskaya also jumped quads here.
Don't you think, whatever number of quads and triple axels Akatieva, Samodielkina, Berestovskaya and Zhilina execute, the judges won't let them win over junior eligible girls?

Otherwise they risk sending to JWs Russian Junior 4,5 or 6th place finisher vs Senior US Champion(!) Alysa Liu. It may be too much for even very disciplined judge... :eek:

SkateSkates

Medalist
Does Vaitkus have the junior minimums? I don’t remember her competing internationally but someone please correct me if I’m wrong. I believe the other 5 are the only skaters competing at Jr Nationals with the minimums. Tsibinova has them as well but she won’t be here. Obviously Tarakanova and Vasilieva have them too but they are out of the running.

I definitely see Samodelkina placing above some of the junior eligible ladies if she’s clean. She has higher BV than most (assuming no upgrades from others), high GOE and PCS and she is likely the number 1 2006-07 girl who will be eligible next season. The judges will want to support her since she is the main star debuting on the JGP next year. (Of course this is all very premature - these skaters are 12-13 and a lot can happen between now and August)

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I definitely see Samodelkina placing above some of the junior eligible ladies if she’s clean. She has higher BV than most (assuming no upgrades from others), high GOE and PCS and she is likely the number 1 2006-07 girl who will be eligible next season. The judges will want to support her since she is the main star debuting on the JGP next year. (Of course this is all very premature - these skaters are 12-13 and a lot can happen between now and August)

Debatable. Samodelkina heavily depends on TP favoritism since almost always all her 3As are slightly URed - but they usually prefer do not notice it. Mostly because she is CSKA school star and majority of judges in competitions she participated were affiliated with CSKA. In last competition for example her overscoring was ridiculous :biggrin: However we do not know what judges will be in Saransk (in her earlier competitions with different judges she was getting much more modest scores, for example). That, and the status of junior competition (not novice) will set the list of priorities for judges accordingly - most likely they will be in favor of junior-eligible skaters both in GOE and PCS first. Main goal of this competition is selecting JWC team after all.
I am more interested in watching Muravyova, tbh. They say she transferred to Eteri school - and I am really curious to see her progress since she was wonderful skater with very impressive skating skills even before Eteri but suffering from jumps inconsistency. If they could fix her jumps.. well, we can witness birth of new star then :)

Azikin

Medalist
Don't you think, whatever number of quads and triple axels Akatieva, Samodielkina, Berestovskaya and Zhilina execute, the judges won't let them win over junior eligible girls?

Clean Akatieva and Samodelkina will beat everyone (well except Kamila probably), no matter the judges preferences..

But yeah, Samodelkina may not be as ridiculously overscored here as usual.. we'll see.. definitely even more exciting JrNats than last year, with Ted as a strawberry on a cake... ;)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Ted is on his way: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Jphy0pNQm

Is he flying over the Pacific, Vancouver - Alaska (?) - somewhere in the far east of Russia like Khabarovsk, or even directly to Moscow, and from there on the train to Saransk?

katymay

Medalist
Although I am very happy Ted will be commenting (he does it the right way, not during the skates), I suspect I'll be watching 4CC and the Bavarian Open Senior Skaters. I can't help but like Seniors better than Juniors. Even when it's the Russian Juniors (who are very good). Sorry Ted.

I'll watch 4CC, but far more excited for the Russian Juniors. They have more energy. And we don't get a chance to see some of them very often. I hope they all shake off the nerves and skate their best programs.

brakes

On the Ice
Considering a vast number of of potential winners, it may be the most competitive tournament of the year. :popcorn: