Upgrading boots and blades | Golden Skate

Upgrading boots and blades

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I am planning to upgrade my boots and blades sometime this year, I was going to go with the Jackson freestyle boot and a Wilson Coronation Ace blade. Is there a difference between the Parabolic and Revolution blades for Wilson Coronation Ace? Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am planning to upgrade my boots and blades sometime this year, I was going to go with the Jackson freestyle boot and a Wilson Coronation Ace blade. Is there a difference between the Parabolic and Revolution blades for Wilson Coronation Ace? Thanks!
(1) Note that the Jackson Freestyle is sold as a kit with a pre-mounted Aspire XP blade. Since you plan to swap out the blade anyways, you might want to consider Jackson boot-only options (rather than paying for a mediocre blade that you'll chuck). On one major online retailer site, the Entre boot sells for the same price as the Freestyle kit ($319.95), and the Debut boot is only $20 more. You should go over these options with a competent fitter.

(2) According to the Wilson website, the standard Coronation Ace is available with parallel edges or parabolic edges; and the Coronation Ace Revolution is available with parallel, parabolic, or tapered/side-honed edges. So if you are interested in parabolic, you can get them in either standard or Revolution. The standard construction has a steel blade body brazed to steel mounting plates. The Revolution construction has a steel runner attached to a carbon-fiber composite chassis; it is lighter than the standard construction. There have been previous threads discussing the pluses and minuses of the Revolution.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Yeah, agree with above. Skip the Freestyle, I'd personally skip the Entre (I think it's fugly with that weird plastic covering) and go for the Debut. But get to a fitter.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I really don't think there's any point at all to the Revolution blades unless you're very tiny and light and struggle with the weight of regular blades, or you're working on triples and quads where weight might make a difference.

Parabolics are great if you have good strong technique and edges. If you don't, you're unlikely to absolutely hate them but you also won't get any benefit from them and they are priced considerably higher. I just switched to a pair (MK Phantom Parabolic) and love them, but I'm an ex-pro. If you're of a standard where you're upgrading from a beginner's set, then I'd go with a standard Coronation Ace. It's a fabulous blade and ideal for progression, whilst not making you look like you've got a bit over-optimistic in the pro shop. ;)

jf12

Final Flight
I really don't think there's any point at all to the Revolution blades unless you're very tiny and light and struggle with the weight of regular blades, or you're working on triples and quads where weight might make a difference.

Parabolics are great if you have good strong technique and edges. If you don't, you're unlikely to absolutely hate them but you also won't get any benefit from them and they are priced considerably higher. I just switched to a pair (MK Phantom Parabolic) and love them, but I'm an ex-pro. If you're of a standard where you're upgrading from a beginner's set, then I'd go with a standard Coronation Ace. It's a fabulous blade and ideal for progression, whilst not making you look like you've got a bit over-optimistic in the pro shop. ;)

Not to hijack the thread but would you recommend parabolics for an adult taking junior moves and then hopefully senior.. looking for any ‘edge’ I can get to get confidence to skate more powerfully!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Not to hijack the thread but would you recommend parabolics for an adult taking junior moves and then hopefully senior.. looking for any ‘edge’ I can get to get confidence to skate more powerfully!

I'm a Brit, and I have no idea what those tests/levels consist of, so I'm sorry but I don't have a clue! Everything has changed since I was training/competing/teaching over 20 years ago and the levels all have different names now. (I spend a lot of my life very confused!)

My advice is to consult The Oracle, also known as Ic3Rabbit. She'll know.