Former French skaters come forward about sexual abuse in FFSG | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Former French skaters come forward about sexual abuse in FFSG

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^^That is from the standard Predator's Playbook. Predators always say the relationship was consensual. Look at the trial of Harvey Weinstein in progress today for a similar defense.

I used Google translate to read the article, and that's not foolproof.

But my math, based on what I think it's saying, is that he was mid-30's and she was 15 at the time. I do not know what the age of consent is in France, so I do not know if he has a legal leg to stand on in thinking he can call it consensual... but it is morally appalling.

And, of course, the age of consent has NOTHING to do with forceable rape, which is what she claims.

Eleanor

On the Ice
Gilles Beyer has admitted to having an 'intimate' relationship with Sarah Abitbol and apologises to her - https://www.cnews.fr/france/2020-01...e-sarah-abitbol-concede-des-relations-intimes (in French)

Interesting stance for him to take.

What a repulsive excuse of a human being.
If this is the kind of little secrets DG knew about everybody, no wonder why he is still president of the federation...That's one hell of a mean to pressure someone to do exactly what you want them to do. Who knows, they may even had some sort of agreement Sickening.

Fluture

Record Breaker
This is so infuriating and sad and depressing.

It is of course good that the truth about these terrible things is slowly being uncovered. But it just shows how many truly rotten people there are in this sport and beyond.

I do not know what else to say other than that I am incredibly sorry for the victims. They were all so young and had to live with this for so long. There are no words for what they had to endure.

Finley

Record Breaker
Gilles Beyer has admitted to having an 'intimate' relationship with Sarah Abitbol and apologises to her - https://www.cnews.fr/france/2020-01...e-sarah-abitbol-concede-des-relations-intimes (in French)

Is 15 the legal age of consent in France? Sounds like he is going for - 'It was a consensual but inappropriate relationship in a different time..... Much regret.... Let's all move on.....'

I truly hope there are real and serious consequences for every single perpetrator and every single person who enabled them and covered up their crimes.

madraykin

Rinkside
I used Google translate to read the article, and that's not foolproof.

But my math, based on what I think it's saying, is that he was mid-30's and she was 15 at the time. I do not know what the age of consent is in France, so I do not know if he has a legal leg to stand on in thinking he can call it consensual... but it is morally appalling.

And, of course, the age of consent has NOTHING to do with forceable rape, which is what she claims.

Age of consent is 15 in France. There is a provision for it being illegal under 18 if there's an abuse of authority but I don't know a) when that was added and b) if it covers this situation.

He's obviously trying to go the "It's all legal, nothing to see here" route.

ETA: looks like Article 227-27 came into being in March 1994? Not sure if there was a previous law covering it. https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affi...06418110&dateTexte=&categorieLien=cid/preview

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Age of consent is 15 in France. There is a provision for it being illegal under 18 if there's an abuse of authority but I don't know a) when that was added and b) if it covers this situation.

That was my take. Also: "It was so long ago, a different time. We were caught up in the moment. I wish her well, and apologies to all who might be offended."

rosy14

Final Flight
What a repulsive excuse of a human being.
If this is the kind of little secrets DG knew about everybody, no wonder why he is still president of the federation...That's one hell of a mean to pressure someone to do exactly what you want them to do. Who knows, they may even had some sort of agreement Sickening.

If a man abuses a girl (or a boy), it can be hidden; if a man abuses several girls( or boys), it’s much more difficult to hide it.
I agree with you: he knew and knowns, of that and other bad things, nationally and internationally.
Time to go.

Finley

Record Breaker
Gwendal Peizerat -

Après avoir tenté de lutter par la voix des urnes, en sollicitant le bon sens des présidents de clubs, après avoir tenté de leur faire comprendre qu’une organisation dirigée par une personne amorale crée mécaniquement des situations amorales et de la mal traitance, après avoir entendu des dizaines de témoignage de souffrance psychologique engendrées par ce système, après avoir vu la fuite des compétences et des talents français à l’étranger, après avoir abandonné devant l’impuissance de l’état et des ministres successifs à changer les choses...après avoir moi même cessé de lutter en attendant la mort naturelle de l’origine du mal, je vois l’espoir du changement qui vient de la prise de conscience tardive de la souffrance ultime vécue par ces jeunes filles et leur courage de femmes à s’exposer aujourd’hui. N’oublions pas cependant, elles deviennent aujourd’hui la partie visible de l’iceberg mais l’énorme majorité des souffrances quotidiennes vécues depuis des années à été trop longtemps étouffée sous cette omertà imposée par un système mafieux inébranlable malgré une majorité de présidents de club favorable au changement en 2014. Cette année là, tous les athlètes se sont associés pour une candidature d’espoir. Le jeux des voix multiples attribués aux plus gros clubs a tué cet espoir. Aux dernières élections en 2018, personne ne s’est présenté contre le président-dictateur...la symbolique parle d’elle même.
Amies patineuses qui avez vécu l’indicible, nous étions là, nous étions ignorants, impuissants, insouciants comme vous entraînés dans un jeux qui nous dépassait. Personne ne pouvait rien pour nous alors. Faisons maintenant ce qui n’a pas été fait alors. Créons ensemble ce changement, pour vous et surtout pour les jeunes insouciants qui glissent aujourd’hui sur les patinoires de France et que nous avons le devoir de protéger.

Translation (via Google translate) -

After having tried to fight by the voice of the ballot boxes, by soliciting the common sense of the presidents of clubs, after having tried to make them understand that an organization directed by an amoral person mechanically creates amoral situations and bad treatment, after having heard dozens of testimonies of psychological suffering caused by this system, after having seen the flight of French skills and talents abroad, after having given up before the powerlessness of the state and of successive ministers to change things. .after having myself stopped fighting while waiting for the natural death of the origin of the evil, I see the hope of the change which comes from the belated awareness of the ultimate suffering experienced by these young girls and their courage from women to expose yourself today. Let us not forget, however, that today they are becoming the visible part of the iceberg, but the vast majority of the daily sufferings experienced for years have been too long suppressed under this omertà imposed by an unshakable mafia system despite a majority of presidents of club favorable to change in 2014. That year, all the athletes joined for a candidacy of hope. The play of multiple voices attributed to the biggest clubs has killed that hope. In the last election in 2018, no one ran against the president-dictator ... the symbolism speaks for itself.
Skater friends who lived the inexpressible, we were there, we were ignorant, helpless, carefree as you were drawn into a game that was beyond us. Nobody could do anything for us then. Now let's do what was not done then. Let's create this change together, for you and especially for the carefree young people who today slide on the ice rinks of France and whom we have the duty to protect.

https://www.facebook.com/gwendal.peizerat/posts/10157063082541045

Eleanor

On the Ice
Happy to see Gwendal step up. He really seems like a genuinely kind and caring person. I was disappointed when he lost to DG. He knows the job, he is an olympic gold medalist (despite what DG tried to pull) and he knows how to push his personal feelings aside for the good of the team work. I hope he gets the support of all the coaches, skaters and parents who want to get rid of the mafioso system.

Finley

Record Breaker
Happy to see Gwendal step up. He really seems like a genuinely kind and caring person. I was disappointed when he lost to DG. He knows the job, he is an olympic gold medalist (despite what DG tried to pull) and he knows how to push his personal feelings aside for the good of the team work. I hope he gets the support of all the coaches, skaters and parents who want to get rid of the mafioso system.

This system needs to burn to the ground. Actually every last corrupt sports system needs to go. Is that even possible?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
There are things that might be legally acceptable but morally wrong. Even if 15 is age of consent it is morally unacceptable for a adult to be sexually involved with a child even if no physical force is involved. He, as her coach, was in a position of power over her and thus it could never be an equal relationship. The power imbalance is too absolute to ever be acceptable. The grooming that takes place in these situations is too insidious to ever be allowed. If physical force was used then there should be no question about what occurred in anyone's mind: Rape.

There is something very wrong going on here. The lack of oversight and the rot in the oversight that does exist is astonishing. I was a volunteer with young people back in the early 2000s where even as a volunteer there was more oversight than this. Why has skating allowed this culture of abuse to exist?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So, sounds like we need to burn the whole French Fed down, I'm here for this, I know where we can get lots of fire if we need some.

rain

Record Breaker
There are things that might be legally acceptable but morally wrong. Even if 15 is age of consent it is morally unacceptable for a adult to be sexually involved with a child even if no physical force is involved. He, as her coach, was in a position of power over her and thus it could never be an equal relationship. The power imbalance is too absolute to ever be acceptable. The grooming that takes place in these situations is too insidious to ever be allowed. If physical force was used then there should be no question about what occurred in anyone's mind: Rape.

There is something very wrong going on here. The lack of oversight and the rot in the oversight that does exist is astonishing. I was a volunteer with young people back in the early 2000s where even as a volunteer there was more oversight than this. Why has skating allowed this culture of abuse to exist?

I don't know what the laws are in France, but in Canada, 16 is the legal age of consent, but there are exceptions — those in positions of authority, such as teachers, coaches, doctors etc., can't just bed a 16-year-old who is even nominally under their supervision. And of course legal age means nothing if it's a straight-up case of sexual assault.

Good for the French press for bringing this to light.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Gwendal Peizerat -

Après avoir tenté de lutter par la voix des urnes, en sollicitant le bon sens des présidents de clubs, après avoir tenté de leur faire comprendre qu’une organisation dirigée par une personne amorale crée mécaniquement des situations amorales et de la mal traitance, après avoir entendu des dizaines de témoignage de souffrance psychologique engendrées par ce système, après avoir vu la fuite des compétences et des talents français à l’étranger, après avoir abandonné devant l’impuissance de l’état et des ministres successifs à changer les choses...après avoir moi même cessé de lutter en attendant la mort naturelle de l’origine du mal, je vois l’espoir du changement qui vient de la prise de conscience tardive de la souffrance ultime vécue par ces jeunes filles et leur courage de femmes à s’exposer aujourd’hui. N’oublions pas cependant, elles deviennent aujourd’hui la partie visible de l’iceberg mais l’énorme majorité des souffrances quotidiennes vécues depuis des années à été trop longtemps étouffée sous cette omertà imposée par un système mafieux inébranlable malgré une majorité de présidents de club favorable au changement en 2014. Cette année là, tous les athlètes se sont associés pour une candidature d’espoir. Le jeux des voix multiples attribués aux plus gros clubs a tué cet espoir. Aux dernières élections en 2018, personne ne s’est présenté contre le président-dictateur...la symbolique parle d’elle même.
Amies patineuses qui avez vécu l’indicible, nous étions là, nous étions ignorants, impuissants, insouciants comme vous entraînés dans un jeux qui nous dépassait. Personne ne pouvait rien pour nous alors. Faisons maintenant ce qui n’a pas été fait alors. Créons ensemble ce changement, pour vous et surtout pour les jeunes insouciants qui glissent aujourd’hui sur les patinoires de France et que nous avons le devoir de protéger.

Translation (via Google translate) -

After having tried to fight by the voice of the ballot boxes, by soliciting the common sense of the presidents of clubs, after having tried to make them understand that an organization directed by an amoral person mechanically creates amoral situations and bad treatment, after having heard dozens of testimonies of psychological suffering caused by this system, after having seen the flight of French skills and talents abroad, after having given up before the powerlessness of the state and of successive ministers to change things. .after having myself stopped fighting while waiting for the natural death of the origin of the evil, I see the hope of the change which comes from the belated awareness of the ultimate suffering experienced by these young girls and their courage from women to expose yourself today. Let us not forget, however, that today they are becoming the visible part of the iceberg, but the vast majority of the daily sufferings experienced for years have been too long suppressed under this omertà imposed by an unshakable mafia system despite a majority of presidents of club favorable to change in 2014. That year, all the athletes joined for a candidacy of hope. The play of multiple voices attributed to the biggest clubs has killed that hope. In the last election in 2018, no one ran against the president-dictator ... the symbolism speaks for itself.
Skater friends who lived the inexpressible, we were there, we were ignorant, helpless, carefree as you were drawn into a game that was beyond us. Nobody could do anything for us then. Now let's do what was not done then. Let's create this change together, for you and especially for the carefree young people who today slide on the ice rinks of France and whom we have the duty to protect.

https://www.facebook.com/gwendal.peizerat/posts/10157063082541045

:clap:

Oh and finley I like your avatar photo! :biggrin:

eaglehelang

Final Flight

So is Beyer trying to say he & Sarah Abitbol had a consensual relationship and it was not rape?
That was what the Taekwando athlete (later coach) said when a female athlete accused him of raping her. The female Taekwando athlete was his gf at the time.

Nirti

Medalist
So is Beyer trying to say he & Sarah Abitbol had a consensual relationship and it was not rape?

Here's a translation of Beyer's quotation:
"I recognise that I had sexual relations with her. If my memories about the exact circumstances are different than hers, I'm conscious of the inappropriate nature of these relations, given my function and her age at this time."
"So it was a fault and I didn't measured the bad I caused to her (...) I'm sincerely sorry and offer my apologies to Sarah Abitbol"
"Even if I understand it, I regret that she hasn't told me [about it] during all these years, because we saw [by chance] us regularly and at no time I could perceive the deepness of her wounds."

Given all what I read about this guy, I've big doubts about her sincerity. He's the same kind of guy than Gailhaguet.

Mia29

On the Ice

ETA: looks like Article 227-27 came into being in March 1994? Not sure if there was a previous law covering it. https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affi...06418110&dateTexte=&categorieLien=cid/preview

I think 15 is not the age of consent, there’s not an age of consent in France.
15 is the sexual majority. Below 15, a minor can be considered consenting. The adult will be judged but not necessarily for rape. This is what happened to an 11 year old girl, her family had to fight for having the relations judged as a rape.
The government had thought of writing in the law the age of consent to 15 but has renounced.
https://www.huffingtonpost.fr/entry...n-a-ete-abandonne_fr_5e0dd006e4b0843d360e486f

(sorry for my english)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Guillaume Cizeron has made a statement in support of Sarah Abitbol (French version/English version) both on Twitter and on Facebook. Based the wording, I think he can be understood as speaking on behalf of Gabriella Papadakis too.

Given how DG works, an active French skater speaking out in support of Abitbol like this is huge and very brave. I'm very glad Guillaume took this risk.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Guillaume Cizeron has made a statement in support of Sarah Abitbol (French version/English version) both on Twitter and on Facebook. Based the wording, I think he can be understood as speaking on behalf of Gabriella Papadakis too.

Given how DG works, an active French skater speaking out in support of Abitbol like this is huge and very brave. I'm very glad Guillaume took this risk.

DG has a lot to answer to when summoned to the Ministry, and most likely won't have much power left when he has been done with (I hope). The newspapers and serious media should not let go now, and pursue this awful matter to its full and horrible depths, for given the culture of 'omerta' and intimidation from the top rank down, much more will come to light.

Cizeron and Papadakis are FFSG's icons, their top pair is tainted by another scandal already. Hopefully, Aimoz will offer his support to Cizeron and the victims too. Which means all the 'good guys' have locked hands and will not let themselves be done over by whatever evil forces still remain in FFSG.

Scott512

Record Breaker
This sport is really a dirty sport with all these God damn cover ups and things. Abuses have been glossed over for decades. Tragic. Especially for the victims scared into silence.