Figure skating clothes in the UK? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure skating clothes in the UK?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks WednesdayMarch!

I've just googled these and they're actually recommended for reynaulds sufferers. Can't believe I've never come across these before. I'll be picking some up from holland and barrett tomorrow!

You're so welcome! I hope they help.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I'm not sure if I have Reynaud's or some other condition, but I used to have a terrible problem with my feet going cold and numb and white. I figured out largely by chance that keeping my feet cooler actually helps. It turns out that they were sweating even in thin tights and it was actually the cold sweat that was causing the problem, not the cold itself. I switched to tiny, breathable no-show socks and voila, I skated for two hours straight and actually had normal feeling and color in my feet!

However, I'm a human furnace, so that might not work for someone whose idea of a pleasantly cool day isn't 40F and sunny.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm not sure if I have Reynaud's or some other condition, but I used to have a terrible problem with my feet going cold and numb and white. I figured out largely by chance that keeping my feet cooler actually helps. It turns out that they were sweating even in thin tights and it was actually the cold sweat that was causing the problem, not the cold itself. I switched to tiny, breathable no-show socks and voila, I skated for two hours straight and actually had normal feeling and color in my feet!

However, I'm a human furnace, so that might not work for someone whose idea of a pleasantly cool day isn't 40F and sunny.

What you're describing and your solutions for it leans towards the outcome of you more than likely NOT having Reynauds.

Figuringitout

Rinkside

Fingers/ toes going white in the cold is usually a sign of a mild case of reynauds...

Unfortunately mine goes a step further and my hands/feet/ears/lips and other extremities go blue to black. I have so many people come up to me and ask why I'm wearing blue lipstick lol.

I've experimented a lot with the type of socks I wear whilst skating but thinner socks do tend to make my feet worse. The diabetic socks I skate in now are about as thin as I dare go.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Fingers/ toes going white in the cold is usually a sign of a mild case of reynauds...

Unfortunately mine goes a step further and my hands/feet/ears/lips and other extremities go blue to black. I have so many people come up to me and ask why I'm wearing blue lipstick lol.

I've experimented a lot with the type of socks I wear whilst skating but thinner socks do tend to make my feet worse. The diabetic socks I skate in now are about as thin as I dare go.

I've never been told by my doctors or read anything about fingers/toes etc going WHITE. It's blue/black. Mine go blue with Reynauds.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I've never been told by my doctors or read anything about fingers/toes etc going WHITE. It's blue/black. Mine go blue with Reynauds.

Yeah, that's what had me confused. A Google Images search for Raynaud's brings up plenty of white/yellow toes that look exactly like mine, but everything I've read says that with Raynaud's it's white and numb, then blue, then red and painful. Mine go white and numb, and they do turn red once they warm up, but there's no pain or blue. :shrug: So it's either a very, very mild case or something entirely different. It definitely looks the same as those pictures though.

Either way, all the standard advice for Raynaud's made it worse because of what a sweaty heat factory I am, so I figured I'd at least put that out there in case it could help someone. :laugh:

Figuringitout

Rinkside
I just assumed white fingers was a precursor for reynaulds as mine always go really white and numb just before my circulation cuts off and I go blue/black. Its my handy (no pun intended haha) way of knowing when its about to happen

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Yeah, that's what had me confused. A Google Images search for Raynaud's brings up plenty of white/yellow toes that look exactly like mine, but everything I've read says that with Raynaud's it's white and numb, then blue, then red and painful. Mine go white and numb, and they do turn red once they warm up, but there's no pain or blue. :shrug: So it's either a very, very mild case or something entirely different. It definitely looks the same as those pictures though.

Either way, all the standard advice for Raynaud's made it worse because of what a sweaty heat factory I am, so I figured I'd at least put that out there in case it could help someone. [emoji23]
Ah you're so lucky! I find the pain horrendous [emoji43]