Freezing for the rest of the day after skating session | Golden Skate

Freezing for the rest of the day after skating session

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
I usually go skating for about 2hrs when skating - while on the ice, I don't freeze at all! I even try to avoid taking breaks as my glasses fog up because my face is radiating some residual heat (although I don't seem to sweat a lot).

However after the session when I arrive at home (about 30-60mins later), I start to freeze like crazy and it stays like this for the rest of the day. At first I thought it's because I took my time getting changed after the session (aka getting into normal shoes, putting on my jacket etc.) so now I try to immediately put on a jacket and go somewhere where it's warm.

This doesn't seem to help though.

It's like a bone-deep hypothermia that creeps up once I'm not active anymore. I can wrap up in a blanket and still start freezing. I can do chores and feel warm temporarily, but then I start freezing again once I'm sitting down or resting.

I even freeze in the inital 5-10 minutes when taking a hot bath. It usually gets better afterwards but the cold is STILL creeping back into my bones after I left the bath and being wrapped up nicely again.

This is only on days when I go iceskating.

Am I just weird or is this happening to someone else??

I was wondering that it's maybe my body being exhausted or stripped of nutrients or so, but on the other hand I don't feel super exhausted after the sessions and I make sure that I stay hydrated, as well as focussing on eating some time before and after (healthy stuff, usually a mix of something with a lot of protein, some seeded dark bread and a bunch of fruit).
I wonder if it's my clothes, although they usually keep me nice and warm without making me end up soaked in sweaty, wet and cold cloth.

Any ideas?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Does this happen in summer, too? Or only in the colder months?

Do you just get off the ice and get changed? Or do you do a warm/cool down routine? That can definitely help.

The warm/hot bath is very helpful and something I often had to do. I also used to take gingko biloba, which I felt helped with circulation and made my hands and feet less painful from the cold when I was doing shows or coaching.

Mind you, since gaining 4 stone in weight, I don't get as cold as I used to! :palmf:

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
I actually didn't have much of a chance to compare with warmer seasons as I just got back into skating this Winter season and before I skated at a rink that was closed from April to September. But there were a few warm and some very cold days when I went skating this season - it didn't seem to have much of an influence.

I love those hot baths!

I'm just annoyed that I keep freezing...
Common scenario: The heating is on highest level, I sit on my desk wrapped up with a hoodie, scarf and thick socks and leg warmers and still freeze while my husband is starting to turn into liquid :rolleye:

If it's circulation-related, I wonder how this changed so much and what the difference is when comparing my "temperature feeling" after skating vs. after having a long walk in the cold (I don't seem to freeze after the latter). I will still try that Gingko stuff you mentioned, anything that helps is more than appreciated!

I've actually lost a lot of weight, maybe that is a reason? But I still have more than enough fat to keep myself insulated :biggrin:

Regarding the cooldown - at our rink there are no rooms open to the public (=me) where I could do an off-ice routine, but I usually go easy for the last 5-10 minutes and just skate normal, slowing rounds as a fadeout (also because I get lazy towards the end of the session :laugh: )

Do you think this will have much of an impact?

Schpanky

Rinkside
A really LONG HOT SHOWER is the key. Sweating is the body's way of keeping itself cool, even if you don't realize you're sweating. That cold just creeps into your bones and stays until you steam it out.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Something similar happens to me. I run absurdly hot all year and usually skate in a thin sweater and fleece leggings in the winter and a tank top and thin leggings in the summer.

About 15 minutes after I get off the ice, however, I freeze for the next hour or so, even in the middle of summer. I think it's because my skin gets cold from how lightly dressed I am on the ice. Once I stop skating, thermodynamics does its dirty work. I'm not generating ridiculous amounts of heat from my muscles, so what heat is left wants to go to the colder parts to even everything out.

So, that bone-deep feeling is probably because it literally is heat flowing from inside toward your skin!

As for why it lasts all day for you, I have no idea. I'd stick out as skinny on the Russian ladies' team, so don't think it's because you lost weight. Maybe go for a run to get your muscles generating heat again?

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
I'd stick out as skinny on the Russian ladies' team, so don't think it's because you lost weight.

Ha, yeah, there's a reason I have a Snorlax as my avatar! :laugh:

I've tried doing all sorts of strenuous stuff after the workout, but somehow the cold creeps back. I agree with the feeling you describe though, it feels like even though I have normal temperature on the inside, it's just getting siphoned off to warm up the outside shell, which, for some reason, never warms up until next day.

Maybe I should get an electrically heated bodysuit!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Try changing your clothes, down to the skin, immediately after skating. Don't just put a jacket on over what you've been skating in! If your inner clothes are damp, you can get cold as soon as you stop putting out heat through exercise.

If it's too difficult to change completely, at least change everything from the waist up. This needn't take long. The fresh clothes needn't be anything fancy, even a cotton turtle-neck will make you feel cozy and dry.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Just a thought:
When I go really hard with exercise I tend to get cold for the rest of the day (or night), even if i get out of my sweaty clothes quickly. It may be that you've consumed many nutrients from the exercise and need to replenish. Try eating a small snack, like a banana afterwards and see if that helps a bit. When I was seriously into exercising I used to have a small snack afterwards but even then I had some special supplements prescribed by my doctor.

Also you may not realize that you are still sweating just a tiny bit and that is cooling you.

If its any consolation, my husband often finds me sleeping in fleecy sweatpants and hoodies after a PM workout. I even have to wear socks. [emoji23]

Nimyue

On the Ice
I also would add that anytime I'm eating at any sort of deficit, this happens to me too. So if you are loosing weight even slowly, you are eating less than you are burning. When I'm eating a lot of food, anywhere from just maintaining my weight or Nov-Dec where holiday treats get to me, I don't get or stay as cold after.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I've tried doing all sorts of strenuous stuff after the workout, but somehow the cold creeps back. I agree with the feeling you describe though, it feels like even though I have normal temperature on the inside, it's just getting siphoned off to warm up the outside shell, which, for some reason, never warms up until next day.

Maybe I should get an electrically heated bodysuit!

That's because it is being siphoned off to warm the outside. You have a good intuitive sense of thermodynamics. :biggrin:

Maybe a sauna? In order to at least mostly stop heat from flowing toward your skin from inside your body, you'd have to be somewhere warmer than your body temperature until everything evens out (or "equilibrates", in science jargon).

You might want to get your thyroid checked as well. Hypothyroidism can cause low body temperature and cold intolerance.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi all,

thanks for all the replies!

It's gotten a bit better now, I have adjusted some of my clothing and the miracle revelation was to find out that there's actually a heated up area at my rink where I can get out of my skates without sitting in the cold!

My routine now looks like this -

1. Get off the ice
2. Get to the heated up area asap
3. Get rid of skates and change socks + put a fluffy jumper on
4. Walk home in a really fast pace
5. The moment I'm home (heating programmed to go on before I come home) - prepare a hot bath
6. Eat something HOT while the water is running (I was eating cold stuff before, e.g. ready-to-eat chicken or a boiled egg stored in the fridge with some equally cold and fresh salad etc fruit from the fridge> hot soup is much better)
7. Take the bath
8. Do some physically more demanding chores (e.g. vacuum cleaning xD) to stay warm until my body has settled somewhat

As long as I stick to this routine quite militantly, it seems to help and I don't freeze. But the moment I delay or forget one of the elements, I end up freezing again, ridiculous!

I'll observe how I'm getting on in the future, it should be getting warmer soon and if I still struggle with freezing, I might consult a doc like hanyuufan5 suggested. Unfortunately, I don't have a sauna in reach, but now that I spent around 400 on new skates, I wouldn't have the money for it anyways :biggrin: