Struggling with balance (new skates) | Golden Skate

Struggling with balance (new skates)

Pingoo

Rinkside
Hey all, I recently got my first pair of figure skates (Edea Overture) fitted by my local dealer and have tried them on the ice for a few hours. I noticed that, compared to the rentals, there was much more lateral movement and I had trouble balancing on the flat part of my blades (Usually leaning inwards). I read that this could be due to poor fitting however, they're very comfortable and snug. I can fit a few fingers down the side of my boot up until my ankle bone (which presses against the side of the boot). I am wondering if this is just part of the breaking in process as the ankle part of the boot is still very stiff. I have also been using the recommended lacing techniques. Could this issue be my lack of ability, or are the skates not broken in enough? Here is an exaggerated image of my problem www.hockeytutorial.com/skating-tips/ankles-straight-ice-skating-ankles-inwards-skates/www.hockeytutorial.com/skating-tips/ankles-straight-ice-skating-ankles-inwards-skates/

Thanks for any help! :)

Elija

On the Ice
Hi! This is how edeas are supposed to fit. It allows for good knee-bend, but does take some adjustment if you aren’t used to it. Are your ankles locked in tight? As in, they aren’t moving up and doen or side to side? If so, they are probably fitted correctly. I can fit my whole hand down the front of my boots of my fingers are flat, but they are tight at the ankles.

As for the leaning inwards, do you pronate? This could be the reason, and you may need your blades adjusted. Did you buy skated with stock blades mounted or buy your own blades and have them mounted? I believe both options are available for overtures. Either way, this might again be an adjustment period (and you may need to build up the strength to not cave inward) or the blades may be mounted incorrectly for your feet - everyone is different.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm by no means an expert, but this advice can't harm regardless of whether your problems are the boots:

Work on the strength of the muscles around your ankles!

Now I'll shut up and wait for advice from the pros, like IceRabbit! :)) :agree:

Pingoo

Rinkside
Yes, my ankles are locked in tight. I once got some trainers fitted by a physiotherapist and I believe I don't pronate. My blades were bought stock and were already mounted onto the boot.

Elija

On the Ice
Yes, my ankles are locked in tight. I once got some trainers fitted by a physiotherapist and I believe I don't pronate. My blades were bought stock and were already mounted onto the boot.

Sounds like the fit is probably ok then but obviously hard to tell over the internet. As snorlax said, definitely work on ankle and muscle strength. When I teach beginners in skate school it is really common than they roll onto inside edges constantly as they have not built up the strength to stay upright yet.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Wait...you are saying your Edea Overtures came with the blades already mounted. Like a set?! Because that shouldn't be. The boot is sold separate from a blade with these Edea.

So, did you buy these stock with someone elses mounting on them? And if so that could be the reason you are having issues, because they would be mounted for someone elses needs instead of your own.

Otherwise, if you do naturally pronate or supinate a podiatrist could easily make you orthotics to work for you and your boots to help you.

Good luck!

Pingoo

Rinkside
Yes, the blades came mounted. It never occurred to me that this would be an issue. I'll stick with it but consider seeing a podiatrist if possible!

thanks for your help

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, the blades came mounted. It never occurred to me that this would be an issue. I'll stick with it but consider seeing a podiatrist if possible!

thanks for your help

The first thing I would do is take the boots back to the shop you got them at and tell them the blade is not mounted correctly for YOU. They need to fix this.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Are you certain that this is the issue?

I can't tell you for certain that this is the issue because I can't see you on the ice with the blades/boots. But that is my best very educated guess from 30+years on the ice and skating at the highest level of the sport.

If these boots were bought as a set that someone else lightly used or even new w/o them doing a semi mount of the blade for YOU personally, then yes I would take my above advice and have them make it right.

What blade is it btw?

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Wait...you are saying your Edea Overtures came with the blades already mounted. Like a set?! Because that shouldn't be. The boot is sold separate from a blade with these Edea.

So, did you buy these stock with someone elses mounting on them? And if so that could be the reason you are having issues, because they would be mounted for someone elses needs instead of your own.
!

I've actually seen quite a few shops selling Edea Overtures as an already mounted set (while I was researching boots for myself) . Don't know if it's a scam or just unprofessional, but yeah...

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've actually seen quite a few shops selling Edea Overtures as an already mounted set (while I was researching boots for myself) . Don't know if it's a scam or just unprofessional, but yeah...

They should not be sold that way. They are manufactured as boot alone.

Pingoo

Rinkside
It's an Edea Rotation blade. Dont know if this matters but not all of the screws are drilled in

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's an Edea Rotation blade. Dont know if this matters but not all of the screws are drilled in

That's not a great blade to begin with and is very flat (rocker). I would have never paired it with an Overture but JMHO.

Elija

On the Ice
Overtures actually usually come with the rotation blade already mounted. Chorus is the first boot that comes without the blade. However if you search hard you can sometimes find overtures without blades. Can’t get them in the shops I’ve been to without blades.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If these boots were bought as a set that someone else lightly used or even new w/o them doing a semi mount of the blade for YOU personally, then yes I would take my above advice and have them make it right.

Ic3Rabbit's advice is right on. Those blades may not be mounted correctly for your foot and thus you're falling inward. Take them back to the shop and have the fitter / tech watch you walk and skate in them, and then have them adjusted as necessary. Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Overtures actually usually come with the rotation blade already mounted. Chorus is the first boot that comes without the blade. However if you search hard you can sometimes find overtures without blades. Can’t get them in the shops I’ve been to without blades.

Really?!:disapp: Because the manufacturer does not advertise them or sell them from even their own site with blade premounted. It's just the boot! Hence why many will choose a Coro Ace or MK Pro for their blade with them.

Elija

On the Ice
Really?!:disapp: Because the manufacturer does not advertise them or sell them from even their own site with blade premounted. It's just the boot! Hence why many will choose a Coro Ace or MK Pro for their blade with them.

Yeah, not sure the reasons. I’ve never owned overtures but when i started back skating after more than ten years off i was looking at both overture and chorus and settled on chorus cause i didn’t want the overture blades and that was the only way you could buy them. Assume you could remove it and replace with coronation ace or something though.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yeah, not sure the reasons. I’ve never owned overtures but when i started back skating after more than ten years off i was looking at both overture and chorus and settled on chorus cause i didn’t want the overture blades and that was the only way you could buy them. Assume you could remove it and replace with coronation ace or something though.

Then you must have shopped somewhere that offered them with the blades. Again, the manufacturer doesn't do so, boot only.

Elija

On the Ice
Then you must have shopped somewhere that offered them with the blades. Again, the manufacturer doesn't do so, boot only.

You can’t buy direct from Edea though, they don’t sell through their website. On their website they even show brio and motivo wothout blades, and those definitely usually come as a set with blades. So i guess for overtures it depends which dealer you buy from, but most i found when i was looking (this was a few years ago) sold all the lower level boots (the first three edea models) already mounted.

Edit to add: i wonder if it’s more popular in bugger skating countries to offer the choice to have the beginner boots come with blades? Cause where I’m from we only have two or three skate shops in the country so it’s a limited market.