Frustrated with coach, time for change? | Golden Skate

Frustrated with coach, time for change?

Mjskates

Spectator
My coach constantly talks with other coaches during my lessons. I feel like she just doesn’t pay very close attention to me when we are in a lesson. For example, she was watching my freeskate during a lesson and she kept turning around to talk to another coach. She only seemed to look at snippets. Her advice/coaching also feels very basic compared to my old coach. I think the only thing she’s told me to do on my axel is “bend and lift” and “keep your left foot up” She also almost never gives me any critics on my spins. Maybe I’m comparing too much to my old coach, but he could go super in depth on of to do/the technique. If my old coach and I wanted to, we could spend an hour on a scratch spin and get it to perfection. Am I being too judgmental? Is it time for a change?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You're paying for her time; you should have her undivided attention. You've had another coach, and so know what's a reasonable expectation (it would be different if you never had another coach and didn't know what's reasonable to expect). Time for a change.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You're paying for her time; you should have her undivided attention. You've had another coach, and so know what's a reasonable expectation (it would be different if you never had another coach and didn't know what's reasonable to expect). Time for a change.

Short, to the point, and I agree with the advice.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Seriously, the only time your coach should be talking to others is if they are getting advice/second opinions etc on your skating. My coach will talk to other coaches and skaters if she wants a second eye. She will also talk to another skater who she's sort of mentoring as a future coach, but again, specifically regarding my skating.

You are paying for their time. Definitely time to move on.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Seriously, the only time your coach should be talking to others is if they are getting advice/second opinions etc on your skating. My coach will talk to other coaches and skaters if she wants a second eye. She will also talk to another skater who she's sort of mentoring as a future coach, but again, specifically regarding my skating.

You are paying for their time. Definitely time to move on.

Yes. This.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree with everyone else: Time to find a new coach.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Yep.. bye bye.. when w coach is with you .. she’s (or he) should be with you. My coach is 100% in on a lesson . Every element including jumps spins and footwork is critiques and redone until it’s done or we need to move on. If your coach can’t even tell u more than one hint ( unless your elements are Olympic caliber lol) then you need yo find a new one