Help with finding good skates for an adult beginner in the Netherlands | Golden Skate

Help with finding good skates for an adult beginner in the Netherlands

AliGray

Spectator
I'm 25, starting skating classes (I can skate around the rink quite comfortably, working on first moves like crossovers) and I'm doing it in rental plastic skates, which are quite uncomfortable as you might imagine haha. So I would like to buy appropriate skates ASAP. I see that the most popular advice on this forum for people looking for new skates is to see a fitter. The problem is I live in the Netherlands and there are no figure skate fitters here (if you know of any, please let me know, I couldn't find anyone).

The people at the local shop recommended Jackson Excel, but now I'm reading here and in other places online that they're too soft even for beginners (I'm not too tall and relatively light, would like to continue with classes until jumps in... some time). I haven't bought them yet bc they didn't have my size, but I think they might not fit me anyway, since I tried a size bigger and my toes were touching the end in a quite uncomfortable way, while the boots were clearly too wide around the foot and ankle. So I think even my "right" size might not fit me. I'm supposed to try the ones in my size soon, but now I'm hesitant about buying them (I don't mind paying a bit more if the skates are much better, but ideally no more than 200 euros). Do all Jackson boots have a wide fit like that? Are other brands different? The shop also has some Riedells, but they're puzzlingly expensive (so I haven't tried them yet), and I could travel to other cities to try Edeas (I really want to try the skates on in person)

Also would be happy for recommendations of shops in the Netherlands (in/close to Randstad) with multiple figure skate brands and a good stock of adult sizes, it's really difficult for a newcomer to find a good shop

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Welcome AliGray!

If your feet are on the narrower side then do at least try on the Reidells and see if they fit better than the Jacksons. If they fit your feet then it would be worth it to spend more on them.

Even in the USA it's hard to find shops that stock multiple figure skating brands to try on, so I feel your pain being in the Netherlands.
I'm sure you'll get more responses on the finer details of Jacksons and Reidells. Personally, I wear custom Harlicks. My foot is wide at the top and narrow at the heel.
I did have a pair of Jacksons as my "work skates" for a while and had problems with them (corns on my little toes and rubbing the cuticle on my big toe).
My husband who skates occasionally has a Jackson beginner kit that is a boot / blade combo and he does just fine.

Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm 25, starting skating classes (I can skate around the rink quite comfortably, working on first moves like crossovers) and I'm doing it in rental plastic skates, which are quite uncomfortable as you might imagine haha. So I would like to buy appropriate skates ASAP. I see that the most popular advice on this forum for people looking for new skates is to see a fitter. The problem is I live in the Netherlands and there are no figure skate fitters here (if you know of any, please let me know, I couldn't find anyone).

The people at the local shop recommended Jackson Excel, but now I'm reading here and in other places online that they're too soft even for beginners (I'm not too tall and relatively light, would like to continue with classes until jumps in... some time). I haven't bought them yet bc they didn't have my size, but I think they might not fit me anyway, since I tried a size bigger and my toes were touching the end in a quite uncomfortable way, while the boots were clearly too wide around the foot and ankle. So I think even my "right" size might not fit me. I'm supposed to try the ones in my size soon, but now I'm hesitant about buying them (I don't mind paying a bit more if the skates are much better, but ideally no more than 200 euros). Do all Jackson boots have a wide fit like that? Are other brands different? The shop also has some Riedells, but they're puzzlingly expensive (so I haven't tried them yet), and I could travel to other cities to try Edeas (I really want to try the skates on in person)

Also would be happy for recommendations of shops in the Netherlands (in/close to Randstad) with multiple figure skate brands and a good stock of adult sizes, it's really difficult for a newcomer to find a good shop

Jackson Ultima Dealers in Netherlands:

https://jacksonultima.com/apps/store-locator

Country

14.01 KM
MIJNTEN SCHAATS EN
HESSENWEG 170
SKEELERSPORT
ACHTERVELD, 3791 PM, Netherlands
Get Directions

14.02 KM
COLLARD SCHAATSSPORT
MISSISSIPPIDREEF 151
UTRECHT, 3565 CE, Netherlands
collard-schaatssport.nl
Get Directions

30.99 KM
WATERMAN SPORT
TREUBWEG 15
IND. TERREIN VERRIJN STUART
DIEMEN, 1112 BA,
Get Directions

38.32 KM
VAN HARN'S SPECIAALZAAK
MELENSTRAAT 7
'T ZWAANTJE
LIENDEN, 4033 AS, Netherlands
Get Directions

49.01 KM
SCHAATSSHOP DRENTHE
BOERKMARKE 18
DROUWEN, 9533 PP,
Get Directions

GRAF:
Netherlands
NedCan Int. Warehouse + Showroom
Bedrijvenpark Twente 165C
7602KE Almelo
Tel. +31 625105299

RISPORT:

https://www.risport.com/dealers/

EDEA:

THILLARTS SPORTS B.V.
Zevende Slagen 32, 5233 VC \'s-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands 5233
Website
http://www.thillartssports.nl
Email
[email protected]
Telephone
+31 736907732

RIEDELL:

HANDELSONDERNEMING VCR
Gonzagaruimte 55
Zoetermeer
Netherlands

KARIN´S SCHAATSSPORT
Reeweg Oost 264
3312 LL
Dordrecht
Netherlands
Phone: +31649398643

SCHAATSSPORT COLLARD B.V.
Mississippidreef 151
3565 CE
Utrecht
Netherlands
Phone: +31 30 2612853
Web: http://www.collard-schaatssport.nl/

AliGray

Spectator
Thank you! As you might see, many of these dealers do not overlap between the brands. I will continue searching (try the Riedells, if they don't fit maybe travel to another city), since it seems better to invest time and effort now in getting the right skates than picking them more randomly and regretting it later. I do want to get them before my next class next week though

energywithin22

Rinkside
Thank you! As you might see, many of these dealers do not overlap between the brands. I will continue searching (try the Riedells, if they don't fit maybe travel to another city), since it seems better to invest time and effort now in getting the right skates than picking them more randomly and regretting it later. I do want to get them before my next class next week though

It's either Thillartssport in Den Bosch or Oomssport in Den Haag :) if you're not sure if they have anything 'op voorraad', you can always email/call them and ask, they will order it for you, personally I can recommend Thillartssport for buying and Oomssport for sgarpening but then you have to specify you want professional sharpening and make an appointment (that's what happens when there's only one trustworthy guy in an entire country to do that, lol)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

(1) Remember that Riedell is a US-based company, and Jackson is a Canadian-based company. Compared to European-based companies, costs in the Netherlands for these two companies are likely to be higher to cover import duties and shipping (which will vary with country).

(2) Specifically with respect to Jackson (and I'm not saying that's necessarily the best for you; a competent tech will need to determine that):

(a) The fit is not the same for all models. In particular, the more advanced boots are shaped on the Elite last (foot form), which has a split width; i.e., the width at the toe is one size wider than the width at the heel (e.g., C toe/B heel). This provides a snug heel lock (critical for ice skating), while not scrunching the toes. It is a good combo for many, but not all, skaters. A good tech can determine whether it's a good fit for you. Note that the advanced boots are available in more than one width as well (though some widths may be special order).

(b) Caveat 1: To avoid confusion, note that there is a specific model of Jackson boot called "Elite". It is an advanced, stiff freestyle boot not suitable for beginners. I'm not referring to the specific Elite model boot; I'm referring to boots shaped on the Elite last. There are models of boots shaped on the Elite last suitable for beginners (see below).

(c) The Excel is way too low a level boot for an adult skater who is serious about skating (serious enough to take lessons, as opposed to skating now and then over holidays).

(d) If you can afford only a kit (boot plus pre-mounted blade), you should probably consider the Elle (current Fusion model) as the lowest model or the Freestyle (current Fusion model) preferably. The tech I go to is very good. For serious adult beginners like you, he recommends the Freestyle (assuming the fit is right, and assuming the skater can't afford separate boots and blades). The blades supplied with the kits are OK for basic moves, but you'll probably get frustrated when you start spins (flat spin rockers).

(e) If you can afford separate boots and blades, you should probably consider the Entre Fusion or the Debut Fusion boots. In the US, the Debut Fusion is only slightly more expensive than the Entre Fusion; don't know what the price differential in your country is. If at all possible, I would recommend getting separate boots and blades, even at this stage of your skating.

(f) The Jackson website unfortunately is in a constant state of churn, placing priority on splashy graphics over delivering important details in a clear manner. I'm fairly certain that previous Jackson websites explicitly stated that the Elle (Fusion), Freestyle (Fusion), Entre Fusion, and Debut Fusion are all shaped on the Elite last; but the current website is not clear [there is no explicit statement for the Elle and the Debut Fusion; there is an explicit statement for the Entre Fusion; there is no explicit text statement for the Freestyle, but there is an explicit statement in the video clip]. Best to double check with a tech, or email Jackson.

(g) Caveat 2: Jackson has been changing its line substantially over the last several years. Older models with similar names are still available online and in some pro shops. So be careful. In particular, the previous generation (non-Fusion) of Elle, Freestyle, and Debut were not shaped on the Elite last and so have a different fit from the current Fusion models. [The Entre Fusion is new; there was no previous non-Fusion model.]

(3) I know you're anxious to get out of rentals, and shopping for skates is difficult. But it's best to be patient to ensure getting the right boot and blade. I know, easier said than done. Good luck.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
The tech I go to is very good. For serious adult beginners like you, he recommends the Freestyle (assuming the fit is right, and assuming the skater can't afford separate boots and blades). The blades supplied with the kits are OK for basic moves, but you'll probably get frustrated when you start spins (flat spin rockers).

(e) If you can afford separate boots and blades, you should probably consider the Entre Fusion or the Debut Fusion boots. In the US, the Debut Fusion is only slightly more expensive than the Entre Fusion; don't know what the price differential in your country is. If at all possible, I would recommend getting separate boots and blades, even at this stage of your skating.

This depends on OP's weight. I've been told my multiple people that I'll probably get beginning double jumps out of my Debuts. Since OP described herself as "not too tall and relatively light," she might need a sturdier boot than someone like me who looks like a taller Anna Shcherbakova, but Entre and Debut are probably much too stiff for a fairly small beginner of any age.

The kit blades are definitely horrible for spins, though.

AliGray

Spectator
Thank you for all the advice! I'll let you know how it ends

I'm 166 cm and 52 kg if it matters

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Thank you for all the advice! I'll let you know how it ends

I'm 166 cm and 52 kg if it matters

Good luck!

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that Entre/Freestyle would be too stiff (Debut even moreso).

AliGray

Spectator
Again thank you for all the advice! Unfortunately none of the Jacksons I tried in the store fit my foot shape. Also from Edea I could only find either separate boots and blade, which were too expensive.

I ended up with Riedells, which I'm afraid might be too "advanced" for me, but they felt very comfortable. I'm actually quite confused about which model they are, because the box says "229", but when I google that I get Riedell 229 Edge and it looks quite different on the photos. My skates look exactly like on this photo, which seems to be 133 TS? Could be some confusion with the boxes (the shop seemed to get rid of all their Riedells), or a change in models, or a different model in Europe? I have no idea lol. They also don't look like the US Diamond model, the logo is different and there is no diamond lace detail (sadly, hahaha). In any case, the skates were on sale and quite cheap, so it won't be a tragedy if I have to resell them. Still for now they feel great. I'm just a bit stressed about all of this

The biggest difference while trying out the new skates were the sharpened blades, though. I finally understood why marching on ice was supposed to be an easy beginner move lol, in the rental skates it took quite some effort not to slide around. Also the toe pick is much more prominent. Will take me quite a while to get used to it

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Again thank you for all the advice! Unfortunately none of the Jacksons I tried in the store fit my foot shape. Also from Edea I could only find either separate boots and blade, which were too expensive.

I ended up with Riedells, which I'm afraid might be too "advanced" for me, but they felt very comfortable. I'm actually quite confused about which model they are, because the box says "229", but when I google that I get Riedell 229 Edge and it looks quite different on the photos. My skates look exactly like on this photo, which seems to be 133 TS? Could be some confusion with the boxes (the shop seemed to get rid of all their Riedells), or a change in models, or a different model in Europe? I have no idea lol. They also don't look like the US Diamond model, the logo is different and there is no diamond lace detail (sadly, hahaha). In any case, the skates were on sale and quite cheap, so it won't be a tragedy if I have to resell them. Still for now they feel great. I'm just a bit stressed about all of this

The biggest difference while trying out the new skates were the sharpened blades, though. I finally understood why marching on ice was supposed to be an easy beginner move lol, in the rental skates it took quite some effort not to slide around. Also the toe pick is much more prominent. Will take me quite a while to get used to it
Any markings on the boots themselves (check the inside of the boot as well as the outside)? Those would be more definitive than the box (which could be the wrong box). Also, could be an older model. Riedell sometimes kept the same model numbers for several decades, but the boots changed substantially over the years. Any way, happy skating!