2020 Four Continents: Ladies' Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2020 Four Continents: Ladies' Free Skate

Ulrica

On the Ice
Rika was simply magnificent, her 3A is the best out of the ladies right now and her overall tecnique is also, along with Elizabeta's, superior to rest of the field. Well deserved win, should have had higher PCs, though.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Also, where is usual narrative about Young You's cheating technique? I mean, young upstart with cheated prerotated lutzes won over Bradie with good jumping technique, artistry and maturity. Yet no one is complaining - nor about prerotation neither about age :unsure: What's going on? Something definitely strange is happening.. :scratch3:
What? Bradie also prerotate her lutz just as much as Young do, or maybe slightly less but she did not have have Kostner/Liza/Yuna technique lol, not even Kihira lutz technique... Her edge is not even clear and it is not called here. Also you say Yelim haven't get this kind of scores? She did get 130+ in JGP back then, when she's a JUNIOR which did not have ChSq in their program. Young FS personal best also in 140s which she achieved 2x already and now 3rd time. Have you forgot in the ladies ranking that most people put Young high and have her scoring potential up to 220 ~ 225?

lzxnl

Final Flight
Also, where is usual narrative about Young You's cheating technique? I mean, young upstart with cheated prerotated lutzes won over Bradie with good jumping technique, artistry and maturity. Yet no one is complaining - nor about prerotation neither about age :unsure: What's going on? Something definitely strange is happening.. :scratch3:

Their techniques are both pretty shoddy, so neither is really as a disadvantage here. Plus, the winner jumps with far less prerotation, so people aren't objecting as much.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
The perfect skater would be Eunsoo Lim her style and beauty plus athleticism of Young You. Young- jumps are amazing but I too felt her presentation overscored. She rushed through it all and the music was incidental. She could skate to any music fill in blank. This is the first LP I have really watched of her. I love Eunsoo and was thinking exactly the same words as the ISU commentator. She appears and skates as if she is older, like 22. She and Mariah Bell used to skate together and they are the two most elegant ladies on the scene. Eunsoo is movie star beautiful but she does not ever look at ease or happy. Will she continue when the other two are more consistent and athletic? I hope so.

I was disappointed because I didn’t see Yuna. The NBC sports gold is where I watch. Maybe she was shown at the beginning? I admit to mainly watching just the two final groups. Not enough wellness to sit through all the lesser skaters. Anyway, You Young really showed this lack of dance ability in this free skate. The jumps were amazing. I recall first seeing a clip of her at age 12. I sure hope Yuna gave Yelim Kim a bear too and Eunsoo. She was wonderful too.

The scoring is just wrong. Kaori was a hot mess. Karen and Yelim should have been ahead of her. Anyway. Scores mean not much often times to me. When Eunsoo finally gets over her nerves she will win a lot based on PCS. She remains my favorite Korean girl and at 16 she is exquisite. Rika was good and I see improvement in her style. This is a hard program re choreo and she could skate this two years to get better at it but I like new stuff. But really I think easier choreo is what she needs because her jump content is big. Bradie has the best SP of the year IMO and a memorable one. Not crazy about her FS. It is too princessy and she is a more athletic skater. Wakaba is on her way back. When she landed as a senio I was a huge fan. In fact I was only one saying she could win worlds and she got silver. She really has very good PCS but she must get in better shape and really work on her hands and arms and face if she skates to Spanish music. It was a very good event. I felt bad for Amber as I hoped she’d do better and lastly Karen Chen was underscored again. I just don’t get the judges. Karen was terrific and I hope she continues.

natsulian

Final Flight
The judges lost faith in Karen after her abysmal Grand Prix showing and being absent last year. As frustrating as it is, athletes need to build reputation in this sport and if Karen can skate like this AND improve next season she has a good shot of 210-215 with improved jumps and performance components.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
Even though Young You needs to improve the crispness and speed of her turns in her step sequence, a need that is often not mentioned for others, she had the most expansive rink coverage. This is shown by the fact that she often skated and placed her most difficult jumps like the triple axel and triple lutz / triple toe right next to the boards, which is a rare and impressive feature that demonstrates excellent skating skills.

I feel like no one has ever pointed to Boyang's notoriously close-to-the-boards quad lutzes as evidence of his excellent skating skills. If anything, people have criticized those lutzes as a sign that he has bad SS, since he needs so much time and rink length to set them up.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What? Bradie also prerotate her lutz just as much as Young do, or maybe slightly less but she did not have have Kostner/Liza/Yuna technique lol, not even Kihira lutz technique... Her edge is not even clear and it is not called here. Also you say Yelim haven't get this kind of scores? She did get 130+ in JGP back then, when she's a JUNIOR which did not have ChSq in their program. Young FS personal best also in 140s which she achieved 2x already and now 3rd time. Have you forgot in the ladies ranking that most people put Young high and have her scoring potential up to 220 ~ 225?

I think “pre-rotated” is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Or something like that. :)

E

eterialskater

Of course high technical content should not result in higher PCS according to the rules outlined by the ISU, but we all know it does.. examples of this include Trusova, Sherbakova, and now Young You in the ladies. They also include a lot of male skaters who get high PCS primarily because of high technical content. Jason Brown should win the PCS scores in most competitions but he usually doesn't because skaters with more quads get higher PCS even though they have far few transitions and less impressive SS.

It is irritating but until the ISU agrees to have separate panels for the judging of PCS/TES it will continue to happen.

I am happy Young You skated well at home.

Rika and Bradie were amazing and cool headed in their freeskates

I'm pretty sure Young You cannot touch Trusova level much less Shcherbakova level of skating. I don't know where you got the idea that they are on the same level. Looking at her she should be in the the low 60's with her slow skating. Also I would never call Tennell amazing ever.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I'm pretty sure Young You cannot touch Trusova level much less Shcherbakova level of skating. I don't know where you got the idea that they are on the same level. Looking at her she should be in the the low 60's with her slow skating. Also I would never call Tennell amazing ever.

I think the poster meant that in general aspect of high technical difficulty affecting PCS.
Also, I find Sasha's skating a bit juniorish and her programs are a bit empty this season to set up for the multiple quads. In this regard, I think Young You is faster and more refined than her.
And Ana is great at IN but the SS not so much. And all of them fail in comparison to Rika and Alena especially when you watch them skate back to back.

Briananing

On the Ice
First of all i dont see how someone called young you skating as slow. She is very fast that is why she used to lose control when she was junior. Her stsq though might be slower and certainly not her best performance tonight. Through out this season, her stsq got a level 3 mostly or even 4 ( on yog? Or coc i forgot). She even lost level on her spins here. But if one compare her skating to bradie here and called bradie's skating as refined and more deserving the silver medal, then i guess you are either bradie fan, a US citizen or dont like YY at all. I mean yes YY expression was mostly like this -,- but it s not like bradie is any better. On buenos aires part, YY lacked strength on her arms and couldnt sell that music part but she was fine on before and after that, while bradie is just as stiff and awkward as YY and no way her stsq should get a Level 4. Though yes bradie perfomance skill and charisma on ice are getting a lot better than last year, but yesterday is certaintly not her best night and certaintly not better than YY or even came close to Rika.

Bradie made mistakes but her score was only slightly lower than YY with 3A and clean program.

YY PCS is too high for her but so does Bradie. And the only reason why YY got a boost on her PCS is bcs she won YOG couple weeks ago just like Yuma,pretty sure they would lower it on Worlds when she would meet the russian.

And really you guys complaining about YY PCS but think Bradie deserved hers ??

Korea is always strict with their skaters. Hence on national,their skaters usually got lower score than internationaly. Beside YY got a ! on her 3F while so many skaters dont get called for their edge mistakes and urs including bradie nevertheless. So i would say that YY score is still quite fair in comparison with others.

And what about Jun ?? He is korean but did you see his scores ?? They were very strict on his UR and his TES (with quad) was even lower than Jason (without quad) on his SP while his FP was only 0.2 higher than Jason when he skated clean and had 2 quads while Jason doubled his attempted quad.Jun PCS should be higher too. But he didnt get that either

So where is the so called home advantage ?? Is it home advantage or YOG champion advantage just like what happen with Yuma ? Though yuma is a much better skater than YY but he is still junior and he beat clean junhwan and boyang in his 1st senior event which is not common at all.

readernick

Medalist
There was definitely home scoring advantage from the judges not the technical panel. Jun was hurt by URs (something he is known for) not by the judges scores. Young You's calls were from the technical panel not thr judges. They are separate bodies.

Again, I like YY but you can't compare her skating to Bradie. Bradie has transistions and better basic skating. (although certainly not Japanese level SS). She's also performing throughout her FP. Some people find her skating boring or "wooden" but you can't really say she isn't ticking the boxes for decent PCS. (, personally, I like her SP and don't love the long but my personal preference does not eqyal PCS) Young You , on the other hand, is a great jumper and she is fast but she doesn't have transistions and pretty much ignores her choreography though large sections of the program. She shouldn't be getting 8s and 9s in PCS. But, it happens all the time. Skaters with higher technical content and those skating at home do get rewards from the judges. ( judges are separate from the technical panel)

KatGrace1925

Medalist

If You Young was an Eteri girl in Russia this would become a big whine fest about her scoring. As it is I don’t think Trusova’s artistry is anything to write home about but at least she commits to her choreography and doesn’t just decide not to do most of her step sequence.

icybear

Medalist
I feel like no one has ever pointed to Boyang's notoriously close-to-the-boards quad lutzes as evidence of his excellent skating skills. If anything, people have criticized those lutzes as a sign that he has bad SS, since he needs so much time and rink length to set them up.

Jumping close to the board has nothing to do with good or bad skating skill. It's more to do with issues with the jump technique or set up of it. Boyang first senior season his jumps were safe away from the boards even though his skating skills were worser.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
All 4CC ladies did for me was confirm that the only skater who can break up a Russian sweep is Rika and she will have to come with all guns blazing.

I enjoyed her skate a lot and I thought Young You was lovely and very watchable. Bradie is a bit of a hard watch for me at times. I think she works hard and is obviously doing the best with what she has but it's not really the kind of skating that excites me.

I hope Canada sends Alicia to worlds...or drags Kaetlyn out of retirement with the inducement of pet food for life! (Since she has adorable pets and is a animal lover)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They can drag Kaetlyn out of retirement, but she'd have to do a Senior B to get the current TES requirements. Her last competition was too long ago. Anyway, I doubt any bribe would entice her to return. She's happy doing shows and is planning to go to college.

Briananing

On the Ice
There was definitely home scoring advantage from the judges not the technical panel. Jun was hurt by URs (something he is known for) not by the judges scores. Young You's calls were from the technical panel not thr judges. They are separate bodies.

Again, I like YY but you can't compare her skating to Bradie. Bradie has transistions and better basic skating. (although certainly not Japanese level SS). She's also performing throughout her FP. Some people find her skating boring or "wooden" but you can't really say she isn't ticking the boxes for decent PCS. (, personally, I like her SP and don't love the long but my personal preference does not eqyal PCS) Young You , on the other hand, is a great jumper and she is fast but she doesn't have transistions and pretty much ignores her choreography though large sections of the program. She shouldn't be getting 8s and 9s in PCS. But, it happens all the time. Skaters with higher technical content and those skating at home do get rewards from the judges. ( judges are separate from the technical panel)

But there shouldnt be any connection between URs and PCS. Jun is only 2 point higher than Yuma while keegan and han yan got only less than 1 point higher than Yuma. And this is Yuma 1st senior competition. By no means i disagree that yuma should get a podium, because i 100% agree that he should, but if he isnt a YOG champion would they let a junior win over Boyang and Jun if Jun/boyang came from the US or canada ? If korea really want to take advantage of home ice, they would give jun higher PCS.

Instead they try to put jason TES as high as possible even without quad and doubling his attempted quad that even boyang with 4Lz without any UR and jun with ur but still serve 2quad with beautiful perfomance, were less than 2 point higher than jason in their TES. If jason is satoko and boyang/jun is sasha would they let satoko (jason) win over sasha (boyang/jun) ??

No matter how beautiful satoko skate she would never win againts sasha even with sasha making a small mistake. So jason would never win againts boyang/jun if he didnt come from the US. And Jun/boyang would win over Jason if Korea is the US.

While YY PCS was certaintly undeserving, yes she shouldnt get any 9s or 8s yet but is it really because of home advantage or is it because she just won YOG just like Yuma and they are trying to atleast created a pseudo competitor for russian girls aside from rika
Before worlds ? But will eventually give back her supossed to be score when she meets the russian girls ?

And please how come Eunsoo PCS is lower than bradie and Kaori ?? "Bradie would not get any higher PCS than eunsoo if they also didnt inflate her PCS". So IMO both bradie and YY PCS were OVERSCORED and the result between YY and Bradie "" is still fair cause they both got overscored"".

Surely no one in their right mind would give bradie 9s to her interpetation to the music, performance, composition and ss ""if she didnt come from the US ??"" Just like no one would give it to YY if she didnt win YOG. Just like no one would give it to Yuma in his first senior big debut performance ( no matter how beautiful yuma skated was) if he didnt win YOG less than a month a go like YY too.

Briananing

On the Ice
Edit : i just saw the complete result. The Korean judge is no 4, she gave YY the lowest result than other judges aside from Judge no 2. She and judge no 2 didnt give YY any 9s either. While bradie got 3 to 4 9s from every judge except judge 3 and 4, Bradie even got 9.5 for performance from judge 1 and overall 9 for performance, higher than rika's 8.9. So there you go, yes YY got overscored but so did bradie.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Did Johnny Weir just say on NBC national TV that Young You didnt have an artistic bone in her body and needed to "fake" it??? I dont want to mis quote him so I will go back and play back his comment again tonight and have my wife listen to it as my ears are not the best. Odd though that the audio mixing sounds just fine on broadcast TV. At any rate, I like Young You's skate and music choice. Congrats to Bradie and my little pear blossum...I enjoyed the last two flights very much. Great comp. (Note to Vegas, please put in for this comp)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I loved the ladies competition and Young getting silver was a treat—I really enjoy both of her programs. And, yeah, Kihira is a force of nature. Grats to Tennell as well, she is set on the same course she was, and really consistent in her delivery. I wish Sakomoto did better... but what can you do. :hap10: