2020 Four Continents: Ladies' Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2020 Four Continents: Ladies' Free Skate

Also, where is usual narrative about Young You's cheating technique?

Maybe the "usual narrators" finally got tired of whining and crying like babies after every event.

The podium was correct. On to Worlds! :rock:

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Maybe the "usual narrators" finally got tired of whining and crying like babies after every event.

The podium was correct. On to Worlds! :rock:

I feel Tanith has a molifying effect on Johnny and Tara. But I had my wife listen to and interpreted Johnny's caustic and undeserved remark about Young You.
"If you dont necessarily have that artistic bone in your body, then you have got to learn to fake it." This to a girl who just got a 69.74 in PCSs from an international team of judges.
Anyone know if there are voodoo dolls available on ebay?

gotoschool

Medalist
I feel Tanith has a molifying effect on Johnny and Tara. But I had my wife listen to and interpreted Johnny's caustic and undeserved remark about Young You.
"If you dont necessarily have that artistic bone in your body, then you have got to learn to fake it." This to a girl who just got a 69.74 in PCSs from an international team of judges.

He is abusing his bully pulpit to shamelessly politick for his threatened favorites.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

i never was a fan of them as commentators. they ruin my watching experience because they talk too much and point out flaws a lot during commentary and say some unnecessary things.
I watch stream with non-English commentary so that I don't understand what they're saying and I can enjoy the performances more.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Weir was very clear he felt her PCS marks were undeserved, so that's not really a rebuttal.

The comment is definitely a bit hyperbolic, but he's not incorrect that You's performance is noticeably lacking in parts of the free skate.

McBibus

On the Ice
I like You Young but her PCS was confusing to me. She skated with no commitment to her choreography, a level 2 step sequence and didn’t perform. It was 100% focused on jumps. Everything lacked polish, detail and emotion.

I think (generally) that when a skater is skating just for the next jump, everthing else being a filler, it should be punished in PCS.
Not a discussion about quality or "artistry": jusp about attitude; e.g. (s)he's not even trying/caring to skate a program.
Do i see it happen? no: if jumps go well PCS go insanely high, including intepretation and composition for a program consinsting of running crossover circles around the rink for half the time.

Note: not talking about You here

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy

Weir is not new to that kind of snippy comments. His allegations are even more inaccurate and misleading if you think that there are athletes even less artistic than You that are often overscored in PCS... and that comment is even more disgusting since he probably he said that because You was winning over Tennell

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
And this is why SBSman grew on me. He says bizzare stuff sometimes but it's not malicious. Just really no filter. At all.

I feel Tanith has a molifying effect on Johnny and Tara.

That was especially true for the men's competition, I thought. Johnny was more insightful and less catty than usual.

He made a great comment about Jason Brown and the quad, for instance. He said that when you try to add in a quad to your repertoire late in your career, you always have a little fear in your heart that the attempt, even if marginally successful, will mar the perfect picture that you are trying to paint. This tends to make you involuntarily hold back a little.

"If you dont necessarily have that artistic bone in your body, then you have got to learn to fake it."

Thanks for the exact quote. I thought he said, "when you don't have an artistic bone in your body ..." meaning, Young You is utterly devoid of any sense of artistry whatsoever. (Like Dick Button always saying that Angela Nikodinov's performances were a refrigerator break.) That would not only have been mean, it would also be untrue.

Change "an" to "that" and the sentence means that she doesn't have that magical artistic flair that seems to come naturally to some skaters. That's not so bad a critique.

The commentators also gave one-line putdowns of the Russian ladies (when talking up Rika Kihira as a possible Woolrd medallist). They said something like: Kostornaia has some artistry but no quad, Shcherbakova has a little artistry and a quad, and Trusova has quads but no artistry. :thumbsdown:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I thought that Kaori's free program was scored too highly and I didn't think that she would break 200.
Not sure what her mindset is like at the moment, has she actually landed a 4T in practice? I was hoping she would just concentrate on skating clean. But if that is her final international skate of the season then I hope she brings back The Matrix for 2021-22.

Yelim's free was my favourite, I'm glad to see her in the top 6.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I'm shocking myself to say this, but I think Bradie deservedly got the highest PCS here based on the performances we saw.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker

I’ll save you all from hearing what I think of Johnny at this point (****** ****) and simply say- Young You has programs that do her no favors this season. She’ll have better ones next year, and the year after. Watch her exhibition and her Pirates of the Caribbean before writing her artistry off completely.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
Bradie is good and deserves good PCS, but I wouldn't personally put her in the same (top) PCS tier as Anna, Alena, Rika, Satoko, Alina, or Evgenia, despite her having scored close to them - or even outscored them - on a few occasions. She is neither that much more impressive than them nor already has a major international medal before this competition :/ we all know how well a skater skates on the day of doesn't actually factor that much into their PCS (regardless of whether that is fair), and plenty of top skaters have not been penalized heavily in PCS for having scratchy landings/popping/falling on a single S+ element (3A, quad). It's also not like Bradie skated squeaky clean either - she had that scratchy landing on her combo jump.

silveruskate

On the Ice
Bradie is good and deserves good PCS, but I wouldn't personally put her in the same (top) PCS tier as Anna, Alena, Rika, Satoko, Alina, or Evgenia, despite her having scored close to them - or even outscored them - on a few occasions. She is neither that much more impressive than them nor already has a major international medal before this competition :/ we all know how well a skater skates on the day of doesn't actually factor that much into their PCS (regardless of whether that is fair), and plenty of top skaters have not been penalized heavily in PCS for having scratchy landings/popping/falling on a single S+ element (3A, quad). It's also not like Bradie skated squeaky clean either - she had that scratchy landing on her combo jump.

As you said, it's all subjective. She doesn't have much momentum so I wouldn't expect anything PCS-wise substantially, but I've seen it soar for other skaters in the past for no particular reason.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I’ll save you all from hearing what I think of Johnny at this point (****** ****) and simply say- Young You has programs that do her no favors this season. She’ll have better ones next year, and the year after. Watch her exhibition and her Pirates of the Caribbean before writing her artistry off completely.

Her programs definitely are the problem, they don't suit her at all. She seems awkwardly out of place with that music. I've been watching her programs since she came up in juniors, she definitely can do better these programs just weren't it.