The equine thread | Golden Skate

The equine thread

Johar

Medalist
Anything horse related. Racing, dressage, ownership, riding, etc.

Independence Hall run at 5:30 today at Tampa Bay Downs in a Kentucky Derby prep race.

Johar

Medalist
Tomorrow is the Saudi Cup, a $20 million dollar race.

Gold Dream 20-1
Tacitus 12-1
Benbatl 10-1
North America 30-1
Gronkowski 20-1
Midnight Bisou 8-1
Maximum Security 5-2
Mucho Gusto 10-1
McKinzie 7-2
Chrysoberyl 12-1
Great Scot 50-1
Magic Wand 15-1
Capezzano 20-1
Mijack 50-1

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is such a painful thread for me. I had a horse in high school and showed her and did pony club and 4-H and all sorts of stuff. BTW pony club now has an adult division, but you have to have a horse or access to one. I really want to learn dressage, but...

First I have to lose a lot of weight. If I accomplish that the cheapest board I can find is $460 per month. I’m not really physically able to rest assured I can care for a horse day to day and I don’t have anyone to call to help out when I’m too sick. Lessons on someone else’s horse are prohibitively expenses, as are local schooling shows (which I used to pay for out of babysitting money). So I dunno.

I have thought of buying a fractional share in a racehorse, just for fun. https://myracehorse.com/

Incidentally, the Kentucky Derby has been tentatively rescheduled for September. That is going to be weird.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
This is such a painful thread for me. I had a horse in high school and showed her and did pony club and 4-H and all sorts of stuff. BTW pony club now has an adult division, but you have to have a horse or access to one. I really want to learn dressage, but...

First I have to lose a lot of weight. If I accomplish that the cheapest board I can find is $460 per month. I’m not really physically able to rest assured I can care for a horse day to day and I don’t have anyone to call to help out when I’m too sick. Lessons on someone else’s horse are prohibitively expenses, as are local schooling shows (which I used to pay for out of babysitting money). So I dunno.

I have thought of buying a fractional share in a racehorse, just for fun. https://myracehorse.com/

Incidentally, the Kentucky Derby has been tentatively rescheduled for September. That is going to be weird.

You were indeed fortunate though to have experienced such wonderful animals up close and personal..
Not many have had such privilege... but connection with horses is a natural outgrowth of a certain kind of lifestyle... and, boarding is very expensive as is owning/stabling. There were four horses in our family... my sister is the primary owner and I am one who provides maintenance, care, grooming exercising, basic training mostly because I am fully bonded with them, i.e. they know me, and I have known each one (and those that came before) from their beginnings. We lost the oldest of the four, Sparky, at Christmas time ... he was an Arabian, beautiful still at age 31. Duende, Mustang, Harmony, half Arabian half Holsteiner, and Lysander (Zander), half Lusitano half Thoroughbred, are left and will be the last sincenl we are now in our 70's and getting too old.. as you know, the love remains after they are gone from our lives.. thanks for your story Moonvine..

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Duende, the slowest Mustang evah!!

IMG_20200401_112700_895.jpg

Ducky

On the Ice
I saw a roan Appaloosa in prospect park the other day (because apparently you can still take riding lessons?) and have a new dream horse, after a pretty dappled grey.

If this quarantine lasts any longer, I might just take up riding again then.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
I saw a roan Appaloosa in prospect park the other day (because apparently you can still take riding lessons?) and have a new dream horse, after a pretty dappled grey.

If this quarantine lasts any longer, I might just take up riding again then.

Blue or Strawberry... ?!

Fresh air, exercise and horse hugs.. that's what will get us through...:luv17:
EDIT.. dappled grey.. so Blue Roan... they are beautiful.. Police horses in Boston Garden..

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
My sister has 6 horses at present. She breeds Trakehner crosses (sports horses). They are lovely and I miss their velvety noses but I can't visit until the present lockdown restrictions are lifted.

Ducky

On the Ice
Blue or Strawberry... ?!

Fresh air, exercise and horse hugs.. that's what will get us through...:luv17:
EDIT.. dappled grey.. so Blue Roan... they are beautiful.. Police horses in Boston Garden..

Horse hugs will have to do because I can't hug my love.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
My sister has 6 horses at present. She breeds Trakehner crosses (sports horses). They are lovely and I miss their velvety noses but I can't visit until the present lockdown restrictions are lifted.

We have sisters in common... Trakehners .. superb atheletes, history goes back a long way

Years ago Sis bought a Cleveland Bay named Miranda because she was a good price. Miranda approached 17 hands, huge; my brother-in-law was afraid of her but my sister and I together used to groom her in her stall. She had the lovliest face, beautiful eyes and I swear would bat her eyelashes at you for treats!! BUT she was totally untrained.. no manners at all - hence the price!! She would not tolerate the vet or farrier and it was a huge problem. My sister wanted to try training her but it was too much in the end. Luckily a CB breeder in Vermont approached my sister, interested because he wanted a foal from her.. Miranda had bloodline tracing back to the UK. Eventually my sister gave her to the breeder who was equipped to train her as an adult. It all turned out well; she has since had her babies and now does carriage work.. my sister learned a hard lesson!!

Johar

Medalist
A white Thoroughbred won a grade 1 race in Japan. First time a rare white has won a notable race.

Sodashi is her name. Look her up.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
I like that breed! Finally got to see one up close..

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
https://images.app.goo.gl/t2xwqaWBH2R4aCws6

No Just no. I don’t like how Arabian show horses are being bred to have extreme heads.
Couldn't agree more. It's appalling and abusive, much like the most of the (now) brachycephalic breeds of dogs and cats, which struggle to breathe and have endless other problems. Why humans have to totally ruin perfectly functional animals, I'll never know.

Johar

Medalist
Couldn't agree more. It's appalling and abusive, much like the most of the (now) brachycephalic breeds of dogs and cats, which struggle to breathe and have endless other problems. Why humans have to totally ruin perfectly functional animals, I'll never know.
Sadly it’s being rewarded.,

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’ve always wanted a doll faced Persian (normal face, not smoosh face). Mentioned it to someone at a cat show and they had s cow. Apparently they aren’t recognized by cat fanciers. I show my rescue cats in the Household Pet category. Not this year of course.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I’ve always wanted a doll faced Persian (normal face, not smoosh face). Mentioned it to someone at a cat show and they had s cow. Apparently they aren’t recognized by cat fanciers. I show my rescue cats in the Household Pet category. Not this year of course.
Me too! I've always longed for a doll faced (traditional) Persian! I have a friend with the smoosh-faced variety and all she has is never-ending eye problems. I'm not interested in showing. I don't have the patience or filter. What I think comes out of my mouth very quickly indeed...

Johar

Medalist
I see dogs with pushed in faces and they are miserable.

Egyptian Arabians have always been “typey“ but now they are resembling caricatures of cartoon horses.