Who are the top 5 ice dance choreographers? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who are the top 5 ice dance choreographers?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That FD was absolutely spectacular, and perfect for Manta and Johnson.

Dean also choreographed both P/C's Olympic RD (the Ed Sheeran medley) and their tango RD last season, if I'm remembering correctly.

That's a pretty exhaustive list! I do think Romain Haguenauer deserves to be recognised as a separate choreographer from Dubrueil and Lauzon, though - his style is distinctive and rather different from theirs, and he has a pretty respectable body of work of his own.

Romain was inadvertantly left off the list. I don't know if he co-choreographs with Dubreil, but he works a lot on his own or (recently?) with Sam Chouinard and Ginette Cournoyer. He's been responsible (or partly responsible) for a lot of Fear and Gibson's programs, which I think are brilliant and suit them extraordinarily well.

I don't think Lauzon choreographs, though I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Lauzon coaches, Haguenauer mostly coaches (and is best known for working with Papadakis and Cizeron among other European and Asian ice dancers).

In the past Haguenauer has done choreography for singles skaters such as LaFuente and Préaubert.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I seem to recall he does a fair bit of choreography for the IAM junior teams?

Which ones does Lauzon do choreo for? The only Montreal juniors I'm familiar with are Lajoi/Lagha (now senior) and Bronsard/Bouaraguia, and he isn't listed as a choreographer for either one of them. But I only found B/B's choreographers for this year.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Which ones does Lauzon do choreo for? The only Montreal juniors I'm familiar with are Lajoi/Lagha (now senior) and Bronsard/Bouaraguia, and he isn't listed as a choreographer for either one of them. But I only found B/B's choreographers for this year.

I'm honestly too jetlagged to remember, but I swear I read an interview once where they said that he does choreo for the juniors because Marie-France doesn't feel like she has the patience these days?

Haguenauer definitely does Fear/Gibson's choreo, he did most work on both of their programs last year and this, but also just this year there's been Lauirault/Le Gac's RD, some work for Fear/Waddell and Komatsubara/Koleto, Yoshima/Nishiyama's FD, Soucisse/Firus's RD, the RD and FD for Smart/Diaz, and some work for Hubbell/Donohue. That's what I can remember right now!

heartyxo

On the Ice
I think Haguenauer and Dubreuil have the senior teams divided between them more. I know Dubreuil was the main choreographer for both of Chock/Bates’ programs.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Karina and Joe were offered a fabulous chance to join the Cirque de Soleil performing group, which they are doing now. Not sure where.

The thing about Christopher Dean is, his choreography was always completely original, from the beginning when he was inventing T/D programs. At 2019 Nationals, as soon as I sat down after being part of the whistling, stomping standing ovation we gave Karina and Joe, I borrowed my friend's program to look up who choreographed. When I saw the answer, I said to my friend: "No wonder."

I would love to see the Cirque on Ice show. Such opportunities to skate professionally and make some money are now very rare in the USA. Good for them.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think a lot of great choreography is coming out of Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon's school. Not everything is a winner, but there's been a lot of great work. Sometimes it's done completely within the school, but sometimes there are outside choreographers brought in (not even specifically skating choreographers, such as the man who helped with Virtue and Moir's Moulin Rouge).

I used to like a lot of Marina Zoueva's stuff — particularly some of the things she choreographed for Virtue and Moir and Davis and White early on were really good. Loved Valse Triste, and of course, Mahler was a masterpiece of choreography. Later on she seemed to become pretty uninspired. Not sure if she would have her mojo back after having taken a break now.

Christopher Dean still works with numerous teams, and of course he's probably one of the best choreographers of all time.

I think Carol Lane is really underrated. Her stuff for Gilles and Poirier is always great, and she is constantly coming up with new and interesting things for them. That's one of the reasons I'd like to see a couple of teams split from Gadbois and maybe try her — I think she could do some good things with Soucisse and Firus or Hawayek and Baker.

Yes! My babies H/B need help! They are lost in the shuffle there!

Honestly I’m so sick of Montreal that I want to give extra +5 GOE to anything not coming out of there.

Hasn’t Charlie White done some choreography?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes! My babies H/B need help! They are lost in the shuffle there!

Honestly I’m so sick of Montreal that I want to give extra +5 GOE to anything not coming out of there.

Hasn’t Charlie White done some choreography?

But they were in Detroit and it didn't work there either.