2020 Four Continents: Men's Free Skate | Golden Skate

2020 Four Continents: Men's Free Skate

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japan's Yuzuru Hanyu easily maintained the lead to win his first title in this event after an exciting Men's Free Skate on Sunday afternoon in Seoul, Korea. USA's Jason Brown rose one spot to claim the silver, while Yuma Kagiyama of Japan jumped from fifth to earn the bronze in his debut at this event.

Hanyu wasn't perfect, but showed amazing artistry and focus in his skate to "Seimei" from Onmyōji, which featured a solid quad Salchow and two triple Axels that earned many high grades of execution (GOE). The two-time Olympic champion stepped out his opening quad Lutz and later underrotated and fell on a quad toe. His triple flip also received an edge call and the footwork was only graded a level 3. However, the skating legend showed very good level 4 spins and scored 187.60 for first place in the free skate and overall (299.42) to win his first Four Continents gold medal. He was second in all three previous showings at this event in 2011, 2013, and 2017.

"There were a little bit problem with the ice in before I skated," said Hanyu. "Because of that problem, I was unusually nervous, but I think I tried my best. I was disappointed (with my mistakes), but I will be able to prepare for the World Championship by analyzing today's mistakes. I feel good with my result. I'm not able to say I'm happy for my performance today, but I really wanted to win here, so actually I'm glad."

More...

Which performances were your favorite? What are your thoughts on the overall results?

My favorite performances:

Hanyu: Mistakes aside, I'm always in awe of his artistry and how focused he stays! Just...yeah...
Tomono: I really enjoyed his skate and hope he keeps moving up the ranks.
Brown: This program hits close to home and he mesmerizes me every time he performs it. I also liked that he went for the quad!
Cha: What's not to like? The sk8 was gr8!
Kagiyama: Love the energy he oozes in this routine!

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
So sorry that Messing had so many problems, as clean it would be a great program.

Feeling rather unhappy for Jin, too. Hopefully he will be at his best at Worlds, as he seems to peak later in the season.

The beautiful programs I enjoyed most were the ones by Hanyu, Kagiyma and Cha! Wonderful flow in Cha´s skating!!! And so great to see two skaters from Japan on the podium! I don´t understand why did Cha loose over 10 points from his technical score? It showed 99,37 points on the screen before the technical scores disappeared from the screen. He had less than a point taken from his three jumps each on the "Judges Scores" sheet.

The Worlds where all qualified skaters are participating, will be even more exciting this year...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not perfect - that blasted 4L, maybe at worlds he should go for 4A instead. But if I read it correctly, Yuzu now has achieved the career grand slam of all grand slams, gold in every junior and senior major international competition and a world record in every major international competition (that he's eligible for) ... so it's a magic moment.

Jason was simply wonderful, I'm glad he has persevered and proven all the carping naysayers wrong. The sport is going to be greyer and duller - especially in America - when he does leave.

And magical little Yuma... I wonder if by 2022, he might be a spoiler like Yuzu was in 2014? From the archives, this is the moment in that quad where a small Japanese cloud appeared...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The stars of tonight were definitely Brown and Cha. Kagiyama is also a wonderful talent with super clean, neat jumps.

Nam actually skated pretty well too, and justified being Canada's rep at the Worlds after his SP and FS here.

I know people are going to say this was a terrible outing for Hanyu, but I actually thought this was a good competition for him. The 4Z is a tough jump for him and the 4T was his only major error of the competition. Sure, it's not a 300+ score but he still had some nice elements, particularly on his 3As and still did his 4S and first 4T. And of course the SP was a record, and he finally got his 4CC gold, even if it was all but expected given the competition. He still very much earned it though.

I think Seimei v3.0 did bring some new choreo and things differing from the previous iterations (it was certainly more reworked than the Chopin SP). Some parts are a bit rushed (particularly the 3A and then the 3F!), but I did like how he took his time with things like the choreo sequence. I'd say I like this program more so than Origin, and the intensity in this one feels less contrived. But it (so far) isn't much of an improvement upon the prior ones and the judges picked up on that. Brown rightfully was given higher PCS -- even though I'm sure we're going to hear about it until the cows come home. :rolleye:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It’s a rare thing to go into Junior Worlds having already won a senior ISU championship medal — V/M did that in 2006 (4CC bronze followed by Junior World gold), so Kagiyama is in exclusive company as he seeks the Junior World crown.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Jason!! Jason Jason Jason :drama: :sad4:

Biggest international medal of his senior career and so so deserved. Yes, he popped the quad (god damn it) but he didn't fall apart, everything else was spectacular and flawless. He came out after others had put down massive skates and kept it together and delivered quality we know he is capable of. Breaking 180 without a quad!! And the quad is coming, its there in practice he just needs to keep his head together when in competition.

And considering this has been a two week turn around from Nationals for Jason, I am so so excited for where he'll be at Worlds with more weeks of training under his belt.

Excuse me now I'm off to sleep-deprived sob over his free skate

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Cha: Had the stand-out performance of the night for me. That Ina Bauer, held long enough to match the music, is gorgeous.

Kagiyama: He has a monster of a 4T and some pretty sweet skating skills. He’s my favorite to win Junior Worlds, which I will be watching. For the first time ever.

Brown: Not quite as good as USNats, but still exquisite. Very well-deserved Silver and he finally got the highest PCS of the night.

Jin: He landed the 4Lz! I guess he lost confidence due to the popped 4S because he didn’t go for the planned 4A+1Eu+3S.

Canadian drama: We in trouble, I think. Sadovsky is my favorite Canadian dude, but he just couldn’t hold it together. I really wanted him to make a statement and do well. Messing was a disaster, but he’s a top 10 skater when he’s on. Nguyen isn’t so I’m nervous about next year’s spots.

Wonderful flow in Cha´s skating!!! And so great to see two skaters from Japan on the podium! I don´t understand why did Cha loose over 10 points from his technical score?

I haven’t had a chance to look at the protocols, but Cha has a problem with URs. His second 3A was UR in real-time, and upon the slow-mo, I caught two more. The 3S in Euler and I forgot the second. Might’ve been the 3Lo in the 3Lz+3Lo. So that’s three right there. A UR lowers the base value of a jump. So he lost points on the value of the jump and negative GOES. With no URs, he wins the free skate and picks up a Silver medal. That’s why it’s so painful! His program is beautiful and he had the skate of his life in his home country but URed his way off the podium!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Delighted with the podium, but heart broken for Cha and Tomono if this were Euros...:(

Full set of Gold for Yuzu and a performance that can be much improved, hopefully at worlds. :yahoo:
Jason was absolutely gorgeous today.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Yuma and Junhwan were my favorites! I also enjoyed Nam’s performance.

It’s silly to suggest that Yuzu should go for 4A instead of 4Lz next time. His success rate on 4Lz is still good, and apparently he hasn’t landed 4A yet (according to a very recent interview). I liked this new version of Seimei and the bright green costume trim is a nice pop of color.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I'm just too sad that Junhwan didn't medal to care about anything else right now.

On the bright side he was cleanish and that flowy, easy skating was simply marvelous. I will still get to rewatch that program so not all is lost.

He can try for a medal next year in Sydney!!!

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Maniac salty fangirl who was there live says:

- My darling was fantastic
- Jason was art
- Yuzuru has the best 3A in the world
- Kazuki was on fire
- Nam Nguyen was really fun
- Kagiyama Yuma has really good tech
- Yan Han's 3A is stunning
- Wish there were fewer pops

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason was...oh! I can't say perfect because he did pop, but...breathtaking, stunning, beautiful, magical, amazing. He has now, it seems, mastered the art of not dropping his magic when he makes an error. You barely noticed the pop.

And congratulations to the judges who did the right thing and gave him the highest PCS of the night. Now let's just hope they have good security.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Jason was...oh! I can't say perfect because he did pop, but...breathtaking, stunning, beautiful, magical, amazing. He has now, it seems, mastered the art of not dropping his magic when he makes an error. You barely noticed the pop.

And congratulations to the judges who did the right thing and gave him the highest PCS of the night. Now let's just hope they have good security.

Forget security, any judge brave enough to have given Hanyu an 8.XX needs to be put in witness protection at this point. :p

There's already grumblings about the Mexican judge, who placed Hanyu in 6th on PCS.... run, girl, run! :eek: :slink:

iamchrislao

On the Ice
Hi all!!! sorry sorry this is off topic I dont know where else to post it. Do you know where I can watch Daniel Grassl's Euros FS? Thank you!!!! I just love his FS music!

RE 4CC: I cant wait to watch the videos in Youtube! I have not been able to get a hold of a working livestream lately so I just watch after events! I think Jason Brown's FS this season is TO DIE FOR!

cake

On the Ice
Another great mens event! What a sight for sore eyes after Euros disaster!

Han Yan - wonderful, so great to have him back.
I loved Cha´s program, I hope he gets rid of the UR issues soon.
Also loved Tomono, good program executed with energy (although I really dislike his short).
Kagiyama, what a talent, so confident already in his jumps, flying over the ice.
Ngyuen with a great performance engaging the crowd.
Hanyu - I always adore him despite mistakes.
And what can I say about Jason Brown - simply mesmerizing :bow: And kudos to the judges giving him more PCS than Hanyu, fully deserved today imo. The way he´s expressing everything through skating (not only through facial expressions) :bow:

If you couldn´t tell already, I had great morning watching figure skating :laugh:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Not the outcomes I hoped for for Hiwatashi, Boyang and Cha, but that’s life. :slink:

Cha’s had one of those skates that you need to look at the detailed score to see why he didn’t end up with a medal, that under rotation galore. Fingers crossed to see both Cha and Boyang have a brilliant outing in Worlds!

Obviously, congratulations to Hanyu for completing the gold medal collection :hap10:

Tomono was another fav skate of mine, I also do like Kagiyama—he certainly outgrew juniors by now by a huge margin. That he didn’t achieve silver here... sigh.

In Team Canada, I guess it’s up to Nguyen now in the Worlds & he did great! Super-sad about Sadovsky not capitalized on his success in the Nationals. Heh, I hope that Messing is in Skate America next year, I really want to see him skating!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, that was quite a satisfying men's event. Maybe not as spectacularly so as the SP, but quite a few wonderful skates!

I'll start off with Donovan Carillo who once again has shown improvement. A few problems with stamina today, but still bettering his PB, and as always a joy to watch. And his 3A is getting better and better!

Roman Sadovsky did slightly better than yesterday in the SP, but compared to his wonderful, moving, skate at his Nationals not up to par. I hope his successes this season (medal at the GP, National Champion) will motivate him for the next. I don't expect Skate Canada will send him to Worlds now.

I was pleased to see Camden Pulkinen holding up, even if there was the (usual) stamina problem in the end. A not too bad debut for him, and as a skater he is always nice to watch.

Poor Keegan Messing is really having problems with his FS this season, and today alas was no exception. He's enjoyable to look at even so, but another let down after a great SP.

Tomoki Hiwatashi skated okay, although I think his FS at US Nationals was better. Nothing to be ashamed of though, good outing.

I'm so happy Han Yan is back on the scene, and he showed today he's still a skater to be reckoned with. I love this La La Land programme of his.

I felt Kazuki Tomono was underscored today, as he showed good elements and a great interpretation of the music. His costume made me think of Kevin van der Perre years ago (2010?) when he skated to the same soundtrack - but Kozuki is much better in being into the choreography.

Nam Ngoyen was really into the groove today, reminded me of his medal winning Skate Canada Free Skate. And, did he improvise an additional 3A after popping his first (so, that one didn't count as a triple) and doing a good second? I guess we'll be seeing him at Worlds because he definitely skated the best of the 3 young men here wanting to get that spot at a Worlds at home!

I am so happy there is more to Boyang Jin than just jumps. That meant that despite some errors (but also I think the only man to land a quad lutz today) he held up. Not for a medal maybe (he was 4th overall) being 5th in the FS, but I felt he showed some good interpretation here.

Watching Junhwan Cha was a real treat today. Too bad he got some URs which lowered his ultimate score quite a bit, but there was a lot of flow in that skate and he really was into the music too. Well done, and being 4th in the FS is none too shabby!

Yuma Kagiyama showed once again that the future of Japanese Figure Skating shines bright. He had another great outing today, and though the execution still is somewhat juniorish (well, the guy is only 16) the interpretation will get better and better as he's already got that musicality. And his elements are really good.

Jason Brown was top of the bill today. What a skater, really doing that piece of music justice. I admit that tears were actually streaming down my face, because it moved me so much. I am a bit of a sentimental twit, but I just couldn't help myself. It's the combination of the music and what it stands for with the beautiful skating, and none can do this so well as Jason. No quad? Who cares when the level of skating and interpretion is on a level like this. And it's not as if he hasn't got the basics: some of his jumps just seem to come out of nowhere and really look effortless.

Yuzu is Yuzu. Wearing a really great new version of his Seimei costume from the Olympics and skating delightfully if with some errors he is the deserved winner of this 4CC competition. Great for him this season that he managed to top his impressive collection of gold medals with two missing crowns: Skate Canada early on in the season, and now 4CC (which is of course more impressive, competition wise). I think he now has Golds of all ISU events he has ever participated in next to his two Olympic Golds. Good for him!

A great event this 4CC, especially the men's, although I enjoyed all of the competitions. I wish there had been a few more Pairs, and the audience a bit more enthusiastic (although they did compensate for that during the men's and ladies' events), but those are the only negatives.

1111bm

Final Flight
Really sad for Roman, was hoping to see him skate confident programs here and get to compete at Worlds in March. :(

Re Jason getting higher PCS than Yuzu... Wasn't that simply because of the PCS cap, because Yuzu made two serious errors?
(although surely a very vocal portion of his fans will claim that those didn't constitute serious errors :rolleye:. I remember having had this exact discussion after Autumn Classic, where he literally tumbled out of two jump landings :palmf:. Or they'll say that everything else was at such an otherwordly level that those limitations shouldn't apply to him or whatever...)

I'm also not sure if the fact that this was a recycled program lowered his marks additionally, apart from those two errors. Pretty sure that with a clean skate, they would've been as high as ever.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, that was quite a satisfying men's event. Maybe not as spectacularly so as the SP, but quite a few wonderful skates!

I'll start off with Donovan Carillo who once again has shown improvement. A few problems with stamina today, but still bettering his PB, and as always a joy to watch. And his 3A is getting better and better!

Roman Sadovsky did slightly better than yesterday in the SP, but compared to his wonderful, moving, skate at his Nationals not up to par. I hope his successes this season (medal at the GP, National Champion) will motivate him for the next. I don't expect Skate Canada will send him to Worlds now.

I was pleased to see Camden Pulkinen holding up, even if there was the (usual) stamina problem in the end. A not too bad debut for him, and as a skater he is always nice to watch.

Poor Keegan Messing is really having problems with his FS this season, and today alas was no exception. He's enjoyable to look at even so, but another let down after a great SP.

Tomoki Hiwatashi skated okay, although I think his FS at US Nationals was better. Nothing to be ashamed of though, good outing.

I'm so happy Han Yan is back on the scene, and he showed today he's still a skater to be reckoned with. I love this La La Land programme of his.

I felt Kazuki Tomono was underscored today, as he showed good elements and a great interpretation of the music. His costume made me think of Kevin van der Perre years ago (2010?) when he skated to the same soundtrack - but Kozuki is much better in being into the choreography.

Nam Ngoyen was really into the groove today, reminded me of his medal winning Skate Canada Free Skate. And, did he improvise an additional 3A after popping his first (so, that one didn't count as a triple) and doing a good second? I guess we'll be seeing him at Worlds because he definitely skated the best of the 3 young men here wanting to get that spot at a Worlds at home!

I am so happy there is more to Boyang Jin than just jumps. That meant that despite some errors (but also I think the only man to land a quad lutz today) he held up. Not for a medal maybe (he was 4th overall) being 5th in the FS, but I felt he showed some good interpretation here.

Watching Junhwan Cha was a real treat today. Too bad he got some URs which lowered his ultimate score quite a bit, but there was a lot of flow in that skate and he really was into the music too. Well done, and being 4th in the FS is none too shabby!

Yuma Kagiyama showed once again that the future of Japanese Figure Skating shines bright. He had another great outing today, and though the execution still is somewhat juniorish (well, the guy is only 16) the interpretation will get better and better as he's already got that musicality. And his elements are really good.

Jason Brown was top of the bill today. What a skater, really doing that piece of music justice. I admit that tears were actually streaming down my face, because it moved me so much. I am a bit of a sentimental twit, but I just couldn't help myself. It's the combination of the music and what it stands for with the beautiful skating, and none can do this so well as Jason. No quad? Who cares when the level of skating and interpretion is on a level like this. And it's not as if he hasn't got the basics: some of his jumps just seem to come out of nowhere and really look effortless.

Yuzu is Yuzu. Wearing a really great new version of his Seimei costume from the Olympics and skating delightfully if with some errors he is the deserved winner of this 4CC competition. Great for him this season that he managed to top his impressive collection of gold medals with two missing crowns: Skate Canada early on in the season, and now 4CC (which is of course more impressive, competition wise). I think he now has Golds of all ISU events he has ever participated in next to his two Olympic Golds. Good for him!

A great event this 4CC, especially the men's, although I enjoyed all of the competitions. I wish there had been a few more Pairs, and the audience a bit more enthusiastic (although they did compensate for that during the men's and ladies' events), but those are the only negatives.

I care that Brown doesn’t jump quads by this simple reason. To me, a laywoman that I am, Brown, Cha, Boyang, Tomono, Kagiyama and Hiwatashi all skate prettily/smoothly and with a good speed, all spin fast.

When I open their scoring sheets, I can clearly see Cha’s 4 under-rotations and I saw Boyang pop two quads while he skated (whereas Brown popped only one).

But when it comes to Tomono and Kagiyama I can’t distinguish what they did wrong and/or worse than Brown, and they both had more difficult technical content.

I care that Brown doesn’t jump a quad because his scores are an anomaly that I cannot explain away, so I have to take the result on its face value, and I have to trust that he does something that I cannot perceive.

And I don’t like not knowing. The other day someone posted a run down of all the elements that go into Chen’s skate showing how composite and complicated it was. If someone broke down Brown’s like that next to the other skaters’, it would helps me.