Hanyu completes Golden Slam of Figure Skating with 4CC Win | Golden Skate

Hanyu completes Golden Slam of Figure Skating with 4CC Win

Interspectator

Record Breaker
From the ISU website:
https://isu.org/figure-skating/news...-first-four-continents-title?templateParam=15

Two-time Olympic Champion Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan finally completed his impressive collection of titles when he skated off with gold at the ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships in Seoul (KOR) on Sunday.

Congratulations Yuzu! The set is complete. -But it's not the end of the hunt I hope.
:yahoo:

I believe the other skaters who have achieved this are Virtue/Moir, Alina Zagitova and Yuna Kim?

and who might also achieve this in the coming years?

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Someone on twitter pointed out that not only is Yuzuru the first and only man - so far - to do it, but if he could manage another 4CC gold next year (in Sydney, please Yuzu? The national broadcaster's already throwing out hopes and wishes) he will have the equivalent of a double top of a slam... two of every single one of them.

Someone needs to dare him.

Sendai would be a very happy place to be tonight...

ankifeather

Final Flight
From the ISU website:
https://isu.org/figure-skating/news...-first-four-continents-title?templateParam=15

Congratulations Yuzu! The set is complete. -But it's not the end of the hunt I hope.

I believe the other skaters who have achieved this are Virtue/Moir, Alina Zagitova and Yuna Kim?

The golden slam is Olympics, 4CC/EC, WC and GPF golds, which Hanyu is not only man to do so, but also Yagudin, Plushenko etc.

But if it is the Super Slam which also includes the JW and JGPF golds, he is the first and only men to achieve it. The only other skaters to achieve it are Alina, Yuna, Savchenko, Trankov and V/M

believed

On the Ice
Congratulations Yuzu! Whenever people doubt him, he shows exactly why you shouldn’t!

Congratulations to the KING :agree2: When you look at the podium and realize how many different generations of skaters have been around him there, you can not help but applaud his longevity which only comes from decades of dedication and hard work.

Yuzu, no matter how many people say "he was lucky to have two Olympic gold medals", human is nothing but his/her own effort. You couldn't stand there for all these years if it was not for "going through blood and sweat".

Keep going man :yes2:

hisori

Rinkside
It wasn't exactly a challenge. Pretty much tailored for him to complete the set.

Let's see if he's ready for the real deal at Worlds.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I for one find it a great accomplishment. If it seemed like a forgone conclusion, it is only a highlight of how special A skater Yuzu is.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
And I thought you have to do a "slam" in one single season. Hmmm. Great for him though, I thought he'd already won 4CC at least two times. ;)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well there was no Junior JGP in his day, but Plushy achieved it...

Junior World Champ, World Champ, GPF champion, Nats, Euros and Olympic gold.

:)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
From the ISU website:

Congrats to the king for finally claiming that last elusive gold medal.
He was the greatest even without that medal, but now he’s got the full collection!

V/M, Alina, Yuna, Yuzuru. My all time favorites!

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
Congratulations to the Greatest of All Time for completing the Super Grand Slam!!!!!

Thank you Mister Hanyu for this crazy ride! You will always be the best and I will treasure forever the time I finally got to see you live in Turin, I feel so blessed!

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Yuzuru! It was quite hard to achieve but well deserved. Hope he regains his powers and puts up two great performances at Worlds 2020! Way to go Yuzu!:yahoo:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
That’s amazing! I first heard of it when Zagitova won WC, and I am happy to see Hanyu completing his. Honestly, he is a figure skating god of my limited time as a fan

lappo

Final Flight
And I thought you have to do a "slam" in one single season. Hmmm. Great for him though, I thought he'd already won 4CC at least two times. ;)

Here you can find more informations on the FS slams: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(figure_skating)
Apparently, when you win everything in a single season it's called golden slam; so far, only Alexei Yagudin achieved that in 2001-02 season (keep in mind that many skaters don't go to 4CC during the Olympic season because it's too close to the Olympic date whereas all top skaters usually go to Euros).
Also, both Yagudin and Plushenko got all the medals in junior and senior competitions, minus the JGPF which did not exist at the time.7
Also, congrats to Yuzuru! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Well, he has never won GP China, GP America and GP France.
Joking aside. But he had already won everything way back in 2014 - because If one wins Olympics, Worlds, GPF and two GP events throughout his career, then this is indeed everything. And as of 2018 he has won each of these titles at least twicle! I do not even think that 4CC is a compulsary competition like Euros. Anyway, the fact that he won even 4CC now - WOW!

Beckaboomer

Final Flight
I for one find it a great accomplishment. If it seemed like a forgone conclusion, it is only a highlight of how special A skater Yuzu is.

I know right? Like if you just assumed he would win and think this competition wasn’t a real challenge for him - well, that’s not right in the first place since it’s always a challenge - but that mindset pretty much just highlights how far above the majority of the field he is. It also speaks to his longevity in the sport as a dominant force.

Congrats Yuzu! :yahoo:

lyrichord

Rinkside
Congratulations to Yuzuru, winning all the possible titles is a special accomplishment. To be still achieving new things at age twenty five is pretty dang cool. His longevity as an elite singles skater is remarkable, especially given he never took any seasons off after Olympics and continues to upgrade his technical difficulty.

Interesting bit of trivia that all the reigning Olympic champions finished the Super Slam with a different title: Tessa and Scott: GPF, Aljona: Olympics, Alina: Worlds, Yuzuru: Continental championship.