Hanyu completes Golden Slam of Figure Skating with 4CC Win | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hanyu completes Golden Slam of Figure Skating with 4CC Win

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Congratulations, Yuzuru! :cheer: The elusive 4CC gold is finally yours! You are a lesson in perseverance and tenacity, Mr. GOAT.

ankifeather

Final Flight
Well, he has never won GP China, GP America and GP France.
Joking aside. But he had already won everything way back in 2014 - because If one wins Olympics, Worlds, GPF and two GP events throughout his career, then this is indeed everything. And as of 2018 he has won each of these titles at least twicle! I do not even think that 4CC is a compulsary competition like Euros. Anyway, the fact that he won even 4CC now - WOW!

Technically he has won GP Helsinki which was the substitute for GP China that year it didn't exist.

But as you said, he could have left the sports with no regrets already back in 2014 having won Worlds, Olympics and GPF in one season and 4CC generally being treated as not as important by the Asians/North Americans. Even his manager recommended him to consider taking a break back then and think whether he wants to continue, but he gamed on, and still gamed on after the second Olympics gold. Starting from winning his first medal in the set of JGPF at 14 yr old and completing the set with 4CC at 25, hes has been competing at the top for 11 years and never missed a season and always had a podium finish at one or more of the big four competitions each season. There are many skaters with long careers, but not many that stayed a podium contender for 10+ years without missing a single season.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Sui/Han also got their career grand slam this year by finally winning the GPF. :) They can also do the Super Slam if they win the 2022 Olympics because they won JWC and JGPF too. Zhenya can also do the Super Slam if she wins the Olympics. Looks like of the 3A, only Trusova won both JWC and JGPF so she can also do it if she wins Euros and Olympics.

Do we know which other current senior skaters still have a shot at the Super Slam?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sui/Han also got their career grand slam this year by finally winning the GPF. :) They can also do the Super Slam if they win the 2022 Olympics because they won JWC and JGPF too. Zhenya can also do the Super Slam if she wins the Olympics. Looks like of the 3A, only Trusova won both JWC and JGPF so she can also do it if she wins Euros and Olympics.

Do we know which other current senior skaters still have a shot at the Super Slam?

Shoma is from wiki the only other one besides Evgenia? and Trusova who has both junior golds and for all of them 2022 OGM would be a tough call given the way tempus fugits. But not impossible.

(Of course down the track, they may decide to declare a Super-super by throwing in the Youth Olympics, making it almost - but not quite - impossible)

saturdaysun

On the Ice
(Of course down the track, they may decide to declare a Super-super by throwing in the Youth Olympics, making it almost - but not quite - impossible)

Indeed. Yuma and Young are already out. If Panfilova/Rylov win JWC this year they'll be in the best spot for the super-super.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In pairs and dance it's not especially unusual to win both the JGP Final and Junior Worlds, so there are a number of active teams (or individuals) who have hit the junior threshold:

- Liubov Ilyushechkina (needs all senior titles)
- Yu Xiaoyu / Jin Yang (need all senior titles, now compete separately; if they managed this, they would also be the first to have also won the Youth Olympics)
- Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya & Harley Windsor (need all senior titles)
- Anastasia Mishina & Aleksandr Galliamov (need all senior titles)

- Madison Chock (needs GPF, Worlds, Olympics)
- Kirill Khaliavin (needs all senior titles)
- Victoria Sinitsina (needs GPF, Worlds, Olympics)
- Alexandra Stepanova & Ivan Bukin (need all the senior titles)
- Anna Yanovskaya / Sergey Mozgov (need all the senior titles, now competing separately; this is...extremely unlikely, but if either actually did this somehow they would also be the first people to do it and also have won the Youth Olympics)
- Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter (need all the senior titles)
- Michael Parsons (needs all the senior titles)
- Anastasia Skoptcova & Kirill Aleshin (need all the senior titles)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Indeed. Yuma and Young are already out. If Panfilova/Rylov win JWC this year they'll be in the best spot for the super-super.

Super-super would be so wild! Shoma or Evgenia...it's not out of the realm of possibility for them, but immensely difficult.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Yuzu. I :love: how humble he remains through all of his accomplishments, applauding his coaching team in the K&C, helping out with picking up the Pooh Bears after the short program ... :hap10:

lady_bee

Medalist
Someone on twitter pointed out that not only is Yuzuru the first and only man - so far - to do it, but if he could manage another 4CC gold next year (in Sydney, please Yuzu? The national broadcaster's already throwing out hopes and wishes) he will have the equivalent of a double top of a slam... two of every single one of them.

Someone needs to dare him.

Sendai would be a very happy place to be tonight...

Yes, we were so excited in Sendai:yahoo:

Can I tell my secret story?
I can’t help laughing when he started to skate to Seimei yesterday, because I suddenly felt like walking in the shopping street in downtown Sendai, in where the music is being played as BGM everyday.
Sorry Yuzu, it’s because we love you so much:biggrin: Congrats for your great achievement!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nahhhh, Yuzu will only achieve the real figure skating grand slam when he wins Canadian nationals. That’s according to my fangirl daughter, circa five seasons ago. :rofl:

In all seriousness, Yuzu’s figure skating CV is pretty damn impressive, and I suspect he’ll continue to add many more accomplishments to it for several seasons to come. :agree:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Nahhhh, Yuzu will only achieve the real figure skating grand slam when he wins Canadian nationals. That’s according to my fangirl daughter, circa five seasons ago. :rofl:

In all seriousness, Yuzu’s figure skating CV is pretty damn impressive, and I suspect he’ll continue to add many more accomplishments to it for several seasons to come. :agree:

He did win Skate Canada for the first time this season....hahah, that's as close as he'll get to this.....but I hope he'll continue to add more accomplishments too!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

I can’t help laughing when he started to skate to Seimei yesterday, because I suddenly felt like walking in the shopping street in downtown Sendai, in where the music is being played as BGM everyday.
Sorry Yuzu, it’s because we love you so much:biggrin: Congrats for your great achievement!

Ooh lady_bee, I didn't know you were a Sendai native! I can only imagine what a star Yuzu is there.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

That's lovely - I've seen clips of the people in and around your area watching him, in competition, in shows and in things like 24HR and the emotional impact on both sides tugs at the heart.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Great sp Yuzu. Now please give us a brand new set of programs next year. Happy you got medal wish!

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
He won't truly have done it all until he takes Russian citizenship and wins a European title. :laugh: