Skaters with better EX than competitive programs? | Golden Skate

Skaters with better EX than competitive programs?

composer

On the Ice
I was watching Rika’s 4CC gala performance today and the question came to mind. She was so beautifully musical and dancey in this EX - granted I’m not one of those who find Rika who find Rika unmusical but I thought her EX showcased her particularly well.

What are your examples of skaters with better EX than competitive programs, whether this season or just generally?

Generally I thought Mirai always had better EX than competitive programs - or rather that she skated her EX better than her competitive programs, especially after the Vancouver Olympics.

Meanwhile this season while I always enjoy Marin Honda’s skating, her “I’m an Albatraoz” EX is a masterpiece.

What are your picks?

Shani

On the Ice
While I wouldn't necessarily say better Hawayek/Baker have more personality driven exhibitions. I love their Austin Powers routine. If they could bring a little more of this to their competitive programs they would score better. Light and funny and character driven. Luca Lanotte and Anna Capellini managed to do this.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
While I wouldn't necessarily say better Hawayek/Baker have more personality driven exhibitions. I love their Austin Powers routine. If they could bring a little more of this to their competitive programs they would score better. Light and funny and character driven. Luca Lanotte and Anna Capellini managed to do this.

H/B's RD this year is fun and character driven.

Shani

On the Ice
True but Tanith Belbin White's commentary at US Nationals basically said she thought there wasn't enough character as well as the technical aspect in the freedance and it was still evolving. It was good but could be improved by adding more character. And I don't remember her exact words but that was the implication.

lappo

Final Flight
I think exhibitions are not necessarely better (in fact I find most of them quite uninspired and too similar to the competitive programs of the skaters) but they are performed withouth competitive pressure and therefore they allow the skaters to put more attention to the performance.
One example that comes to mind, where I found a specific exhibition better than a competitive program of the same kind is Mao's "Scent of a woman" tango EX versus her "Schnittke tango SP of 2011" (even though her technical problems could have contributed to the underwhelming, by her standard, rendition of the SP).
Here the EX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8QVsi6_rgM&t=60s
And here the SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZRm2XdTdVk

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I hardly ever find Exhibition programmes better than competition programmes, but some can be really outstanding on the entertaining and performing side. Whether it's Javier Fernandez doing one of his funny programmes, Alexei Yagudin being really serious or the wonderful boxing programme by Nicole and Matteo, they are all enjoyable and different to what they usually produce in competition. That's what I like, although generally I think the competitive programmes are better. Mostly because in competition there is perhaps too much focus on jumps (and that is an integral part of a programme in singles and pairs), and in exhibitions there is too little. I am no proponent of jumping beans with no other content, but in exhibitions that part is lacking altogether. Admittedly, there are some skaters who do exhibition programmes that are really inspiring. I recall one of Yuzus, and more recently Aljona Savchenko skating to a piano piece played by Eric Ratford. No jumps at all, but o so beautiful. I still tend to be more in favour of competition programmes which contain both the technical and the artistic, but there really is something to say for good, original exhibition programmes (the ones that aren't too similar to the competitive ones but without the technical bits).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
True but Tanith Belbin White's commentary at US Nationals basically said she thought there wasn't enough character as well as the technical aspect in the freedance and it was still evolving. It was good but could be improved by adding more character. And I don't remember her exact words but that was the implication.

There’s not a lot of time left for it to evolve.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Well...in theory, all skaters should have better exhibitions than actual programs or at least more entertaining exhibitions since they have free range to do anything they want...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I said Rhythm dance, not free dance.

composer

On the Ice
Well...in theory, all skaters should have better exhibitions than actual programs or at least more entertaining exhibitions since they have free range to do anything they want...

That is true, maybe I should ask the opposite question lol. I think it just came to mind because it made me think that some skaters could give so much more if they just brought some of their exhibition magic in competition ... whereas some others seen already pretty maxed out if you know what I mean.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Sometimes it’s not that the program is better so much as that the skater is more relaxed and able to focus on performance over jumps. I remember seeing Junhwan Cha at GPF last year and although I liked him a lot in competition, in the gala he was like a whole other skater in the best possible way. I don’t even remember what the music was but he was really into it.

I think Mirai's exhibitions were generally better, especially from the performance aspect.

I agree with MissDaisy and the OP that in the latter half of Mirai's career her exhibitions had a freedom that her competitive performances often lacked. She concentrated on hitting her jumps with such grim intensity that it was hard for the viewer just to sit back and enjoy the show.

By the way, someone just linked Rika Kihira's 4CC gala perfomance. I might have to add Rika to the list. :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoxJn94Rr_I

Then there are skaters who have great competition programs, but their exhibitions are even better. Michelle Kwan's Fields of Gold exhibition at the 2002 Olympics and her East of Eden at the 1998 World Pro were better than any of the five performances that won world championships -- as excellent as those competitive programs were. If you count athlete's professional careers, Brian Boitano and Kristi Yamaguchi, IMHO, presented many show pieces that stick in the memory more than their competitive performances, even though they are Olymic gold medalists.

Edit: Also Sasha Cohen. I don't think she [ever got through a serious competition without distracting errors, but at galas, shows and cheesfests she could be breathtaking. (Hernado's Hideaway is still her best program, ever, for me. :) )

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I agree with MissDaisy and the OP that in the latter half of Mirai's career her exhibitions had a freedom that her competitive performances often lacked. She concentrated on hitting her jumps with such grim intensity that it was hard for the viewer just to sit back and enjoy the show.

By the way, someone just linked Rika Kihira's 4CC gala perfomance. I might have to add Rika to the list. :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoxJn94Rr_I

Then there are skaters who have great competition programs, but their exhibitions are even better. Michelle Kwan's Fields of Gold exhibition at the 2002 Olympics and her East of Eden at the 1998 World Pro were better than any of the five performances that won world championships -- as excellent as those competitive programs were. If you count athlete's professional careers, Brian Boitano and Kristi Yamaguchi, IMHO, presented many show pieces that stick in the memory more than their competitive performances

Another example: Kurt Browning.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Well it makes sense. It’s a lot easier to perform a program when you only have to do your favorite/easier elements. It’s much easier to create inspired choreography when you’re not trying to shove all those jumps and spins in.

Elspeth

Rinkside
I enjoy Trusova's ex more than her competitive programs. The music suits her and she seems to have fun with it.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I might get stoned for this being a huuuuuge Yuna fan, but I thought Nessun Dorma was better program than Adios Nonino. *okay, stone me in the plaza

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Personally I had never felt particularly connected to any of Zagitova's performance, but I found her Ex to Outro this season very touching. It showed that she put her heart and soul into it.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Messing. I love the guy no matter what he does, but he should have his own show. Take my money!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I don't think we'll ever agree on certain aspects of the sport, but I sure as h...l agree with you on this one! Yay Keegan!