Advice for getting back on the ice? | Golden Skate

Advice for getting back on the ice?

maurkay

Spectator
I started taking skating lessons when I was about 9 years-old. I was in Basic 7 when I fell during a lesson and severely broke my arm (had surgery and took nearly a year to heal). Since then, I haven't skated. I'm now 19 and thinking about going back to the ice, but I don't want to injure myself again. Any advice on staying safe while on the ice? How can I relearn how to skate after so long? (specific tricks/techniques etc.).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I started taking skating lessons when I was about 9 years-old. I was in Basic 7 when I fell during a lesson and severely broke my arm (had surgery and took nearly a year to heal). Since then, I haven't skated. I'm now 19 and thinking about going back to the ice, but I don't want to injure myself again. Any advice on staying safe while on the ice? How can I relearn how to skate after so long? (specific tricks/techniques etc.).

Find a coach, tell them your story and skate.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm now 19 and thinking about going back to the ice, but I don't want to injure myself again. Any advice on staying safe while on the ice?
I'd recommend getting protective gear. At the very least a helmet. Also consider wrist guards and pads for elbows, knees, hips, and tailbone. Can't prevent injuries, of course, but reduce the chance of injuring the most vulnerable spots.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I had a bit of a disastrous fall and injured my right knee. Took a massive operation (2 screws, 17 staples and a lot of severed nerves), relearning to walk and it was 18 years before I got back on the ice. I'm a lot older than you so if I can do it, you can ace it. The advice to find a coach is good, and you could also consider finding a Learn to Skate class and starting over. Protective gear may well help your confidence, too.

Good luck - and enjoy the journey.

maurkay

Spectator
Wow, that's surely motivating. Thank you so much!

- - - Updated - - -

Good idea - I didn't even think about protective gear. Thank you!

vincerooo

Rinkside
For protective gear, one thing my coach told me was to not get hard plastic guards, but padded fabric ones.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I second the protective gear. I wear a protective headband--it may not completely protect, but it's something. I used to be a fearful skater and it's actually safer to go for skills that you are ready for than to bail out and freak out. I also try to think about the times I have gotten seriously hurt--it's been stupid things--while walking the dog, putting up Christmas decorations, a sudden subway or bus stop... and it puts it into perspective. There are certain jumps I only work on in hardness with my coach until I master them completely or but butt pads--whichever comes first. Like someone else just said, enjoy the journey--skating is a wonderful sport and you will do great!